Heater or valve leak????? How to take it out????

-

OlDuster

Reaction score
I have a leak in my cooling system. When I kick it into passing gear and run it up in the rpm's, it squirts coolant out the heater duct onto the passenger's side foot well. I never leaks unless I hammer it. I smelled the coolant and could not find the leak. I finally saw it 'glisten' on the rubber floor mat. OK, now I have found the leak. Where is it? How much work is there to take the heater core out of the Dart? ('68 Dodge Dart 2-door)

I see the cover over the heater core. I have taken off the 'snaps'. How is the heater bolted to the body? I do not have the proper manual so I can use you guys expertise. Who has done this? Could it be the heat valve? Need a step by step guide to remove the heater core. Thanks!

I just took the heater box out of my 65...4 bolts on the fan motor retainer under the hood and two screws up thru the heater box on the inside and its out.
If you have the clips off and the front off there is 4 screws holding the core in..the hardest part with the box in the car will probably be the retainer on the outlet pipes, I don't know if you can get at it from under the dash without alot of swearing and bloody knuckles.

Follow what GTGrinly said, take the entire box out. Start by removing the two hoses going into the firewall, then remove the 4 screws on the firewall that surround the blower motor. There`s a hanger on the right side, under the dash at your fresh air intake, you should be able to remove it from there with a long extension. Of course the control cables have to come off, see which way is easier for you to remove them.(sometimes it`s easier to remove the entire control).You should be about there. You could work it in the car but it`s a lot easier to work out of the car. If you get hung up just let us know. Good luck!

OK! I take the blower motor bolts out. Do I need to take the cover off the heater core? I understand the heater controls need to be removed. I do not understand the process. I need to take the fresh air duct off. A long extension from under the dash?

65 and 68s must be different.
there is no need to touch the blower motor.
On a 68 - remove the glove compartment so you have access - remove snap clips - remove outer section of heater box. now you can see the heater core.
Engine compartment - remove hoses and small plate near the hose connections.
Back inside disconnect cable control off the arm of the ??? near the heater core. with some wiggling of the heater core you should be able to remove it,
There may be 2 screws that hold the heater core - can't remember!!
Get new core and reverse. carefull with the new core and especially the tubes as you are re-installing as the connections to the core are not overly solid.

Olduster, here`s a page out of an earlier service manual and this unit includes air cond. but it should give you something to go by. You should remove it as a unit. You`ll see the connection by your right fresh air intake. On the left page at the right bottom you`ll see a hook with a nut on the end that goes up the air intake. HTH.

a body heater core.jpg

a body heater core 2.jpg

Great inormation guys! I think I can handle this, now. I will take out the bench seat and go to work. If I cannot fix the core, where is the source for a new heater core... Year 1?

local parts stores can get the same. the brands are four seasons, modine and maybe a couple others. I had to have the original tubes soldered back on since the new ones were bent wrong. a local rad shop did that for a nominal fee.

I am hoping it is the valve. Is this an integral part of the core? Will I get a new valve with the core? Are they separate?

Well, my 72 Scamp doesn't even HAVE a heater valve, I am pretty sure that only AC cars had that. The heater valve (if so equipped) is out under the hood in plain sight in one of the heater hoses. Don't panic about changing your heater core, it's really not that big of a deal. I did mine in about an hour of actual working time with a coffee break thrown in the middle. I would recommend taking the heater box completely out when you do this instead of just removing the clips and changing it in the car since once it's out you can lay it on the ground and wash out 3 decades worth of crud and crap, not to mention the gooey half-dried up antifreeze that's sure to be inside with no danger to your carpets. And I didn't have to take the front seat out to get to it, and I'm a pretty big guy. Good luck!!

What closes the water off and controls the heat level? I do not have any valve in the engine compartment. Mine is under the dash. I am hoping this valve is leaking (if I can find it!). It appears to be in the "box". I guess once I get the heater core assembly out I will find it. I'll let you guys know!

-
Back