Hedman Headers Won't Fit

-

mflynn

Reaction score
68 Cuda with a 318, power steering. Originally had single exhaust. Plan has been repaint, dress up and mildly add to motor., and convert to dual exhaust. Got Hedman Headers a while back. Pulled motor and tranny this weekend. Tried to give a look see at headers to see if they fit, because eyeball test was saying no. Now I have to say it looks like no way. Anybody have experience, suggestions with this?

Well they "should" fit. You might have to dent them "here and there." Your mount pillows might be ruptured / sagging. You cannot tell by looking, I'll guarantee you that LOL

they'll fit, but its no freakin fun, just pulled motor and trans to install new torque converter with hedmans already in there from last year, four days in and i snapped off engine dipstick in the process, beer helps!!

Glad to hear they'll fit, but not looking forward to it. How much clearance did you guys have over the steering linkage? Did you have a 3" collector?

What part no are these. You DID order 'em for an A body as opposed to say, a pickup? You buy 'em new?

I put them on my 67 with a 318 pulled distributor out pulled motor mounts jacked engine up and it was a tight fit .
as posted above beer will help not a fun job to do.

Yeah. How bout a part number?

Bought em new, specifically for a 318 in a 68. I've got the motor and tranny out right now, so I'll have the luxury of lining the headers up before I drop the motor back in. I've read on another thread that some members have disconnected the steering linkage from the inner tie rod end and run it through the header. Anyone have experience with that?

Have you tried reading the instructions?

Have you tried reading the instructions?

why would he if he can ask us ?:banghead:

if it makes the O.P. feel any better, I removed the center link, oil pan and even the oil pump off to install my dougs headers

I wrestled with my set for a long time to get them in there and it took a lot of work. The engine has been out twice since then and every time the headers stay in. This may sound a little dumb but if you can easily pull the motor out I would just do that and put the headers in then drop the engine back in. If your only doing a header swap it may not be worth it.

Good luck and watch where you throw your wrenches.

Yeah, what doogievlg said. It sounded kinda like you planned on bolting the headers on, and then installing the engine. That will never happen. Let's see some pictures of the headers, so we can tell you if you need to drop the drag link. I'm pretty sure you will. Then you lay the headers in the bay, and carefully lower the engine into the thing. Lots of blankets, and a couple friends make it go a lot more easily.

Hi Tom. So far as I know all Hedman for A bodies go 'round the link. In fact, Hedmans do the same thing on B bodies, I don't know about E. "Shorty" or whatever they call, not

I have hedmans on a 72 Dart, had the whole front end completely apart and the engine/trans out when I put them on. When the engine was going in, I slid the headers into place and put them in with the engine the rest of the way. Then I did up the suspension after that. That seemed to be the easiest way to tackle it. IF you have everything already apart that is.

I've always stuck with Hookers... :love9:

Can't tell ya much about Headman.... :munky2:

Bought em new, specifically for a 318 in a 68. I've got the motor and tranny out right now, so I'll have the luxury of lining the headers up before I drop the motor back in. I've read on another thread that some members have disconnected the steering linkage from the inner tie rod end and run it through the header. Anyone have experience with that?

Yes, that is a must for nearly all headers for an a-body. The only exceptions I know to that rule are TTI's and Doug's. The Hooker/Heddman design are designed to wrap around the steering linkage. PITA=yes

My suggestion is to use real good gaskets on them cause their a PITA to change when the stock ones blow, and they usually do. I have had good luck with Mr. Gasket Ultra seals

the part # is 78050. Photo below. Thanks for all the suggestions. Glad to hear that the consensus is that the linkage goes through the header. Thought I was nuts for thinking that myself. Also, hoping it'll be a little more manageable cuz I already got the motor out, and I'm doing the sleeves and tie rod ends anyway. I'll let you know how it works out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 334
68 Cuda with a 318, power steering. Originally had single exhaust. Plan has been repaint, dress up and mildly add to motor., and convert to dual exhaust. Got Hedman Headers a while back. Pulled motor and tranny this weekend. Tried to give a look see at headers to see if they fit, because eyeball test was saying no. Now I have to say it looks like no way. Anybody have experience, suggestions with this?

I have them on my car 68 ply val they fit tight but no problems have to put starter in first remove oil filter center link idler and pitman arms , hedders have to in from bottom hope this helps ya out

Be damn sure you check these carefully, and have the correct engine mount pads, and that they are in good shape. Here's the problem with those. "When things are wrong" as in bad motor mount, or even something amiss in the steering linkage, you might be unaware...........UNTIL...........

You turn hard left and "get into" the gas around the corner. The engine picks up, binds the headers on the steering link, and YOU hope you are quick enough to grab the wheel and get things under control.

Be SURE to check

Yeah, I've got a suggestion; send them back and go grab some Doug's 453 with your 20% off autozone coupon.

I had to learn the same lesson the hard way.

-
Back