Heeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!

-

sdahmer

Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Today i had our bi anual inspection. I live in an apt with an attached garage, the come check for leaks and violations of apt rules. My B...h of a manager and her husband have always seen me working on my dart and now decided to tell the landord and so it turns out now workin on cars and no inop vehicles in garage. So now i have 48 hrs..46 now...to remove the engine/transless dart and parts out. I just took a new 360 core and j heads to the machine shop and ordered a bunch of parts recently whih are now open so i dont think i can return them. So anyway......is there anyone in san diego county that can help me out? Perhaps some space for my dart somewhere for a low fee? It would be great! I really dont want to sent it to the yard....

thats sucks bud, wish i could help. if you want to haul it to CO i got 10 acres out here lol

you could always shop for another apartment if you dont find someone local to help you out bro

but i know in the current housing market apartments are wanted over new homes... they probably want to re-rent their joints at higher prices that's probably why they are making the rounds

good luck!

Seems to me that 48 hrs could be argued as UNREASONABLE

did you sign a lease with any rules? just for kicks, you could call the attorney generals office to see if they can make you get rid of it. also, are there any violations in your apartment that would be worthy of a call to code enforcement (example, lead paint, backed up septic, lack of smoke detectors) if there is , you could possibly use them as bargaining tools with the landlord. in ny , i was told if you get evicted, it could take up to 90 days to get you out. change the lock on the garage and make them start and eviction. it just dont sound right that you would only have 48 hours, call em on it. do you have any family or friends around with a out of the spot where you could temporarily park it with a tarp over it? call around to storage units some of them are big enough to store cars. heres an idea , you say they wont let you work on cars or inop vehicles in the garage, so just push it out of the garage to work on it, when you are done just push it back in! hope one of these ideas help you. tenants have right too!

is it registered? if it has registration and tags that are current i dont think they can say it is innoperable. maybe take it out for the inspection then bring it back at night and put it in the garage and NEVER open the door again. like i was said before i would get my lease agreement out and read it word for word. if it doesn't mention it then they are harrassing you.

Ask me why I no longer live in the city limits? My city will call a car non-operable if it has a flat for more that a few days if they see it. It takes about 90 days here to complete an eviction. Sounds like it is time to move.

sdahmer,
This situation SUCKS!! That being said I worked for a company that owned many apartment complexes in Oregon and Washington. Both Oregon and Washington have state laws against working on vehicles (disabled or not) in garages of Multi-Family housing units do to fire hazards. Once this situation is brought to the attention of landlord they have no option but to correct it or face serious fines. Now I am not sure that they can make you move the vehicle or parts (varies with state/local laws and the lease you signed). As long as you are using the garage strictly for storage purposes I would think that you would be okay. They can make you remove any flammable materials that are being stored in the garage do to the fire hazard as well. I would definitely re-read your lease (Our units had an addendum for garage rentals), speak to your local housing authority and your landlord to see if you can work something out. Good luck.
~Michael

What about the machine shop where the engine is at? The one I use also does auto repairs and has a fenced lot in the back. If yours does, maybe for a few bucks they would let you store it there.
C

Thanks guys, i just got home from the batting cages (had to vent). My parents do have a house in mexico but i just dont trust the area enough unless i move there and crossing the border is a pita.

Oh yea, car is insured and registered..... Any lawyers on here? :D. Lol

im pretty sure if its tagged and insured NObody can MAKE you get rid of it except code enforcement and thats only if it can be seen from the street and is an eyesore. i am SURE you are getting harrassed.

dunno, I'm a landlord in Fl. Un-operative needs a tarp (on blocks, etc, in the front yard). Under covered building good, in back yard behind fence, good.
Not seen from the street; no problem.

48 hours? I'd call their bluff, I know nuts in cali government. Call code enforcement. Takes over 90 days here, and you get your free day in court, with a lease. Read that lease good. I bet that stipulation is not in it.

Fight the azzes. Then move. Cost them $$$.

( I ain't your normal landlord, lol).

A bit of good news today! My girlfriend talked to her dad about my situation and after asking he's letting me keep it at their house until I get it running. He's cool with me working on it there as long as I follow some general rules, keep the area clean and keep the car covered, etc. Still gonna see if I can be a legal annoyance, f'in manager refused to even give me the landlord's contact info/number.

Is there a restriction against trailers in the complex parking area? As long as its a rolling chassis you could try arguing that it is a "custom enclosed trailer." JK I know that wouldn't work.

Im sure your locked into a lease but I would move as soon as I could if I were in your shoes. This is apparently fairly common in may apartment complexes/cities. I had an acquaintance that made all kinds of money with his mini-storage type property. He would lease units by the day/week for people to work on their cars. He even was able to auction off some of the cars for decent cash that belonged to people that abandoned them. Maybe there is a similar local service place you could use temporarily.

I remember those days and I really feel for you. Lived quite a few years in a crappy apartment with stupid rules. That is exactly why I built my house on a private drive. I like having to ride my Polaris to get the mail.

I read in another thread similar to this where if the car is covered then nobody is allowed to touch it.

-
Back