HEI for the Purists (only have one)

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Factory Mopar four pin module with four pin GM HEI ignition module built into it.
All the factory pins are connected to the HEI unit inside the box, and it is a direct plugin to the factory harness.
This unit can be used with or without the ballast depending on coil used.
Plug this in and you have everything but the coil ready for HEI.
No new or different wiring needed.

A whole new meaning to my existing High Energy Ignition product. www.ClassicHEI.com

Currently only have one available. $125.00 shipped in the US.
Located in 86314 Arizona

First dibs gets it, and I'll give the Paypal or Money Order address via PM.

Attachments

• stockerHEI.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 778
I don't have any cases that look that good!!! LOL

What an excellent idea for those that want to maintain a factory look, yet have an advanced ignition system.

What about module cooling inside of that box?

The module is mounted to the underside of the case, so it uses the case and heatsink that is already there.
These units are normally mounted in a 200 degree distributor so there is no cooling issue's with it mounted to the original box metals and mounted in the factory location.

Nice, You plan on making these regularly? or is this a one and done?

I am out of $ at the moment. but I love this set up

What about people on sending in their own unit for upgrade?

Nice, You plan on making these regularly? or is this a one and done?

I am out of $ at the moment. but I love this set up

I will do more of them in the future so not to worry about that.

What about people on sending in their own unit for upgrade?

I was actually considering that, and we'll see how it pans out.
Probably, is about as close as I can come right now.

Right?
I love this picture for moments like this.

Attachments

• face.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 380
i have heard that that is all that the new FBO box really is.. a fancy box with an hei module inside it..

If this seems a silly question.. excuse me.
What happens if/when a future owner doesn't know what it really is or is not and plugs a OEM module in its place ?

If this seems a silly question.. excuse me.
What happens if/when a future owner doesn't know what it really is or is not and plugs a OEM module in its place ?

Nothing bad, it will go back to working the same as before it was replaced depending on the coil used.
With HEI the coil is the must have part, not the module.
If it had an HEI coil and they took that off, it probably wouldn't start due to the big plug gap that HEI allows.

I honestly don't think someone would by this and then forget about it. :D

Trailbeast...I've been following all the HEI threads closely because I def want to do it at some point. This is awesome.
My question: I run a Mallory Unilite electronic Distributor with a mallory coil. Will my distributor be harmed if I convert and bypass or eliminate my ballast resistor?

Trailbeast...I've been following all the HEI threads closely because I def want to do it at some point. This is awesome.
My question: I run a Mallory Unilite electronic Distributor with a mallory coil. Will my distributor be harmed if I convert and bypass or eliminate my ballast resistor?

It won't hurt the distributor any, but it could fry your coil.
Chk the specs on your coil and find out if it is internally resisted and/or if it can take a straight 12 volts.

Dang, Thats a sweet set up Trail... Do you recommend a specific coil?

Although these HEI units can use quite a few different coils this unit was intended for the purist look and will work with stock coils as well as HEI coils.
A stock coil will not give an HEI ignition with the hotter spark, but it looks stock.

I gotta say this though.
I coudn't see any point in using the HEI module without an ecoil, or a similar output coil.

Other than stock Ecoils, MSD blasters, Accel coils, and a ton of others work with the HEI modules.

It won't hurt the distributor any, but it could fry your coil.
Chk the specs on your coil and find out if it is internally resisted and/or if it can take a straight 12 volts.

Although these HEI units can use quite a few different coils this unit was intended for the purist look and will work with stock coils as well as HEI coils.
A stock coil will not give an HEI ignition with the hotter spark, but it looks stock.

I gotta say this though.
I coudn't see any point in using the HEI module without an ecoil, or a similar output coil.

Other than stock Ecoils, MSD blasters, Accel coils, and a ton of others work with the HEI modules.

...and I can just run a short bypass wire on my ballast resistor to maintain the look while using an internally resisted coil or HEI coil? Increase my plug gap to 45 thous and I'm good to go...yes?:coffee2:

...and I can just run a short bypass wire on my ballast resistor to maintain the look while using an internally resisted coil or HEI coil? Increase my plug gap to 45 thous and I'm good to go...yes?:coffee2:

There ya go.

There are a few common and possible issue's that cause problems, but as long as they are chked or at least considered if there is a problem your good.

They MUST have a good ground. (even the one pictured above)
They MUST have a good strong 12+ volts
The distributor reluctor must be in working order.
Is the HEI spark going to come right out of the side of your old wires?
Is the spark going to go right through the middle of the rotor to distr shaft?

Just little stuff like that.

Feel better about it now? :D

-
Back