help electrical problem!

-
If a ground is bad it will find a route wherever it can even back through the circuit. The fact that as you clean things it's getting better is a good sign that you're hot on it's trail. You wouldn't believe how whacked out my tail/brake lights were acting with just one bad socket ground. Once I touched that one bad ground with the jumper wire everything went straight. Did you try replacing bulbs? Like la4spd mentioned, there can be problems with them too.

stupidity is when you can't read the dash on a 69' dart. it says FLASHER. The stupid guy is the person trying to convince somebody he knows something about electricity.
I feel sorry that these guys are relying on your advice. Read the book, you apparently are using yours in the bathroom. If I had to apply your style of advice in fixing a car, to fly a plane, I would be dead.

In case you didn't notice, my advice was to the originator of the post. Everybody here wants to help him. However, You are irrelevant. if you read the rules of the site, it says you don't flame other posts.The originator can tell me to pound sand, that is his right. it is his post. but you aren't part of the conversation. if you think you are so smart you can solve this guys problem on line, then Chrysler has a job for you, as they have spent millions trying to make books doing the same thing. They should just hire you!
I recommend you get a hobby.

i'll poise this question to confirm my opinion and maybe will add some info. IE: the brake and turn are always one "package" ( sorry i realize package is not correct auto term). the tail and side marker lights are another ????? also i've been putting dielectric grease on all bulb and wire terminals, that maybe helps plus trying to clean out inside of the sockets???? for side markers to blick with T S applied, wouldn't that mean that side marker wire if shorted to a T S wire some where ???? just wondering...

i'll poise this question to confirm my opinion and maybe will add some info. IE: the brake and turn are always one "package" ( sorry i realize package is not correct auto term). the tail and side marker lights are another ????? ...

Absolutely correct

The only "cross connection" to the park/ tail circuit and the signal / hazard circuits are

Grounds

The wires run in the same harness

They go to the same sockets

And I STILL don't have an answer from the OP about what, exactly he has done or checked.

So far as the side markers blinking, there is just one other possibility. There was, running around Al Gore's www, some project where you could rewire the markers to blink with the signal lamps. This is fairly easy to do, here is how GM did it.

Instead of grounding the side marker lamps, which have two wires, you leave the wire originally hooked to the park circuit alone. You re-route the ground wire to the signal lamp wire on that side of the car.

Here's how this works

With park lamps OFF, and signals flashing, the side markers light WITH the signal lamps, as the markers ground through the NOT powered filaments of the park / tail lamps.

With park / head lamps ON, and signals flashing, the side markers light when the signals are OFF, and go out when the signals flash ON. This is because with park light power ON, you now have power on both sides of the marker, when park power is present, and when signal power is present.

THIS IS why I asked the OP if the wiring has been hacked, .............somebody might have performed this "mod."

Just so ya know, you're wasting your time............

Attachments

• waste.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 128
had a simular problem with my 70 Duster ended up being all the wires were melted at the back of the fuse box. I said the heck with it and rewired the entire car

I know its over 6 months old, but it was a thread that came up in my search on my tail light issue. Had a ground issue on one of my backup/reverse lights, and after installing some FABO purchased restored tailights and having the same issue as with my original taillights, it got me thinking. So to solve my issue on my old and newly purchased "restored" taillights, I was able to spin the socket in the housing to get continuity and now both of my backup/reverse lights work. I also cleaned all of the bumper to body connection points, the mounting bolts/washers, to insure no surface rust was inhibiting grounds from doing their job.

A far better way is to solder a ground pigtail right to the socket and run off to a ground bolted to the body. The trunk latch is one possibility. Most "better" designs do just that.

if this doesn't pan out for long, that is my next option. Thx for the response too.

I learned early on how to deal with tail lights. It "used to be" that some of the GM stuff had some of the lights IN THE trunk lid. You can imagine. You used to see a lot of 60--65 Chivvies with odd crap happenin' wid' mid' da' lights'n stuff.

Me 'n the 63 circa May 1970, headed S from the N to NAS Miramar

Hams_011.jpg

Hi- not sure if anyone is still checking out this post, but I too am having some dash light issues...I'm just reading this and will try some of the options provided above.

My issue is when I turn on my head lights, the high beam red light, and the right turn signal stay illuminated. Also, when I turn right using the blinker, it doesn't 'click' off when the turn is complete. Left works as should.

As stated, I've yet to try your excellent suggestions, but confident I'm much closer to correcting this. Also, rear tail lights ever so slightly flicker.

Thanks in advance of any thoughts !

Mopars for life-

Hi guys I got the blinkers to work but when I turn on my headlights the left arrow is lit up what does this mean????

-
Back