help for the chevy guy

-

PartsGuy

Reaction score
Ok so im startin to pull my 74 duster apart and i need some help with a few things. first it has a 318 904 i would like to find an airgap intake but all that i have seen say 340/360 are the small blocks the same like chevy or is the 318 its own little thing? Next i was woundin about the motor mounts if i wanted to put a 360 in will it just bolt up? TY for any help.

i believe that the air gap is only made for the 340/360, but you can put heads from a 340 or 360 on a 318 and then use the air gap. As far as the 360 goes, is the 318 in the car right now? If the car has a 318 right now and not a slant 6 then yes a 360 fit right in.

yes it has a 318 in it now is there any aftermarket intakes that fit the 318 wanted to keep it for now and put a eddy carb and headers

You'll need a new to add a weight to your existing 318 torque converter. The 360 is externally ballanced. You can also buy a flex plate that has the counter balance built in. Then any neutrally ballanced converter will work.

yes it has a 318 in it now is there any aftermarket intakes that fit the 318 wanted to keep it for now and put a eddy carb and headers
Any Small block mopar manifold will bolt on to your 318. All will have a port missmatch, as most 318 heads have inconsistant port castings. Install a valley pan windage tray when you change manifolds and you will have most of the benefits of an air gap.

all of them wow well im thinkin ill go the 360 way then this is for the wife dont need anything commin back to bite me later. ok so buy new flexplate for the ext balence and the mounts are the same corect?

all of them wow well im thinkin ill go the 360 way then this is for the wife dont need anything commin back to bite me later. ok so buy new flexplate for the ext balence and the mounts are the same corect?

You'll be good with the 318 mounts. I think they are all the same.

well im not realy a chevy guy anymore sold the 63nova 73shortbox 70ss camaro when the twins where born now just getting back into old cars again maybe i can get the wife away from rice burners lol. if not well ill have a nice duster when im done.

Nothing wrong with the chevys, i just sold my 97 Z28 6sp., i loved that car, anyways, on the mounts, the DS will be alittle different for the 360, but i've heard you can make the 318 mount work, they also make aluminum intakes with the smaller port for the 318, but if your going with the 360, your best bet is the B&M flexplate, this way you can use converters with "NO" weights.

Any Small block mopar manifold will bolt on to your 318. All will have a port missmatch, as most 318 heads have inconsistant port castings. Install a valley pan windage tray when you change manifolds and you will have most of the benefits of an air gap.

no no no.....

The regular old performer or weiand stealth have the small 318 port size, as well as some older eddy 4B's.

SB's don't have valley pans, but you were thinking of accelerator baffles though huh?:sign7:

The 340 and 360 drivers side use a different engine mount then the 273 or 340. It's a little narrower then the 318 mount.

I'm glad you're getting into a mopar, mopars have all those chevy design flaws alleviated, like the dinky rods that twist/bend/and assert sht load of side thrust @ 90* causing heat and poor flow from less dwell and already poor flowing chevy heads.
Speaking of chevy heads...they flow so little on the intake and so well on the exhaust, that they scavenge/pull all the lil mix there is out of the tail pipe! lol
And the short deck height, ha!!! no 'cheap/reliable' 408's with that.
And then there's breaking rockers studs compared to reliable shaft mounted mopar rockers.

But I don't wanna get going on this so ....

lol thats funny so the porformer will work? what about port mismatch? i should have kept my 73 powerwaagon with the 440 that would be fun in this little car

lol thats funny so the porformer will work? what about port mismatch? i should have kept my 73 powerwaagon with the 440 that would be fun in this little car

There aint no port mismatch, no more than any other manifold for any other make, seriously.

Yes, 440's are fun in anything!

what do you think is better steath or performer? this will be the wifes daily driver.

cool ty you saved me a lot of truble my plans are to build a 360 but for now 4bll and headers will due till i get the body work done. wife wwont drive an ugly car lol

Cool.

FWIW the performer can be opened up to 340-360 port window, though at that point just pick up a RPM/air gap or LD340, if your still in the market for a dual plane that is...

no no no.....

The regular old performer or weiand stealth have the small 318 port size, as well as some older eddy 4B's.

SB's don't have valley pans, but you were thinking of accelerator baffles though huh?:sign7:
The ports on 318 heads have very inconsistent castings from port to port on the same head. I scrapped two dozen heads for this reason. I finely found apair off a truck that look decent as cast. The 318 aftermarket manifolds do have aport mismatch on 318 heads. The 273 heads are the best bet for small port small valve heads, and they are closed chamber. The valley pan I refered to fits under the intake and keeps hot oil off the bottom of the intake manifold.

-
Back