Help from anyone who has had a Chevy before

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
So, I may need some help from you that may have hador still has a Chevy before. The 41 Chrysler Street rod needs a front end rebuild.

I contacted the guy that built it, and he said he made it with the front suspension of a 70 Monte Carlo, I never believed that as its way too narrow.

I called him the other day and he said it may be 69 Nova, can any of you guys help?

I googled the part number of the Pitman arm pictured and it comes up as a 68-69 Chevelle/Firebird/Camaro, so possibly a Nova too,

I tried the caliper pictured but it didn't come up as anything, do the pictures look familiar to anyone?

I also tried posting on a few Nova websites

IMG_5383_zpse9ae36de.jpg

IMG_5384_zps1a87d46e.jpg

IMG_5385_zps02d59748.jpg

IMG_5386_zps440d4606.jpg

IMG_5387_zps442ec4eb.jpg

IMG_5388_zpsed6d505e.jpg

IMG_5389_zpsf0014efc.jpg

IMG_5390_zps793fdf69.jpg

IMG_5391_zps7f003994.jpg

IMG_5392_zpsdb1db90a.jpg

IMG_5393_zps20083919.jpg

IMG_5396_zpsa0d4cedb.jpg

IMG_5397_zps6746e597.jpg

IMG_5398_zpsa2a284cd.jpg

Take the bad parts down to the auto parts store, have them cross reference numbers. Looks like a pretty common chevy suspension. Nothing exotic about that.

70 Monte Carlo used a full frame, and 69 Nova used a sub-frame.
Based on your pictures, it appears to be a sub-frame under there.

Good Luck.

George

67-69 Camaro ,68 -74 nova,rear steer(steering gear,behind engine cross member. 70 on up Camaro,Fire bird,78-up Malibu,front steer,(steering gear,in front of engine cross member. These are the most popular GM sub frames,for swaps.

Looks like the steering box is cracked.

Looks like a Chevelle front end going by that rounded front part of the cross member, novas had a boxier cross member.

Chevelle/Monte Carlo were full framed cars, they a A body GM cars. The Camaro/Nova were front clip cars. The later were very popular for street rod applications.

Take the bad parts down to the auto parts store, have them cross reference numbers. Looks like a pretty common chevy suspension. Nothing exotic about that.

Safest bet IMO. If they have the parts in stock (and most likely they will) you can match the parts on the counter, instead of under your car.

and while you have the front and down you can straighten out those front brake flex hoses. in the second picture it looks like the hose is tucked up behind or hooked on the stabilizer pin

Daliant drilled it.Check 68-72 Chevelle ,El Camino. Stared at the same cross member,notching for a bigger pan.

thanks for your help everyone, I got back under and took measurments and part numbers if that helps

so here are some measurments and numbers.

Calipers have two hex hold downs, 3/8 hex, the
left caliper has P/N 18002328 with a 28 8L on it and a G286 on it

right has the same number

the rotor has

337226 with a 866 and a GM 68 on it

Lower Control Arm measurments

from center ball joint to the rear attach mount is 16 inches, the front mount to the ball joint is 18 inches

Upper Control arm rear bolt to upper ball joint is 12 inches

the center link is 17,5 from center of Pitman Arm to inner tie rod and 23 inches to the idler arm.

Frame is 26 inches wide at the front, its been cut so don't know if it gets wider in a area that's further forward

the Cross member has the lower control arm mounts 15 inches apart.

the spindles have 371676 13 and a 211 on them

the bleeder on the caliper is 3/8, the castle nuts on the ball joints are 3/4 and 7/8th and the upper CA bushing has 9/16ths

I know it's NOT a first gen F-body 67-69(camaro/nova/firebird) and it's NOT a G-body 1964-1972 (chevelle/cutlass/GTO/monte carlo/etc).
I'm betting it's off a 1970-1981 Camaro or an X-body (nova/omega/etc).

I know it's NOT a first gen F-body 67-69(camaro/nova/firebird) and it's NOT a G-body 1964-1972 (chevelle/cutlass/GTO/monte carlo/etc).
I'm betting it's off a 1970-1981 Camaro or an X-body (nova/omega/etc).

1st gen Camaros and all Novas are rear steer. 1st gen A bodies (Chevelles didn't go G until 78). It's probably a second gen Camaro/Firebird. The spindles look pretty tall and the steering arms look to be cast as one piece.

The brake pads should be D52s. Most all upper control arms use the same bushings. Your lower rear bushings are round which points more to the 2nd gen Camaro also.

Second Gen subframes are as popular on street rods as Volare front ends are on fat fender Ford trucks.

We went to a show today, some late 60s Novas and Chevelles there, looked at a 68 Nova, it looked nothing like the street rods steering, neither did a 69 Chevelle. There was not a 2nd gen Camaro there, but there was a 75 Nova across the street, went to look at it, Perfect Match, WOO HOO

-
Back