Help me find the umph in my 360

-
I'm a believer that the factory wouldn't have spent money on it if there wasn't a purpose. I'm not going to argue with alot of people though.
If I'm not mistaken the old 360 mopar crate engines got delivered without them.

I got a crank oil slinger. And I looked up that little dripper on this sight and alot of people said they don't use it.
It's not an oil slinger. That's been a myth that needs to have been busted for DECADES. It's an oil SHIELD to help keep oil directly OFF the front crank seal. That's its only purpose.

The v-ramp oil dripper is a later setup. Before that one of the four bolts had a hole drilled in it to lube the chain. I would run one or the other.

So after hearing everyone's advice I took everything back off and sourced the dripper from a friend of mine at work. Put it on and put everything back together. It's now fully back together primed and ready to get out back into the car. The one bolt you see missing on the bottom of the timing cover is for the power steering pump.

20230729_105905.jpg

20230729_105856.jpg

Still ed to tie up some odds and ends but this heat has got unbearable.I won't start it till probably tomorrow to break in the new cam. I still need to get antifreeze back in it. And charge the battery tonight.

20230730_140120.jpg

20230730_140111.jpg

Well, it at least LOOKS good. lol I hope you were careful about that bolt in the timing cover that can run into cylinder #1. That would suck.

Both the bolts that go there are the right length they came with the powersteering reservoir and bracket. Same bolts I used before the catastrophe. It's all been done right this time.

Both the bolts that go there are the right length they came with the powersteering reservoir and bracket. Same bolts I used before the catastrophe. It's all been done right this time.
Good. i'm glad. You're really paying attention. Something FEW members do.

Hoping to have a video of it running in the next couple days for you all.
Good luck! Just remember make it bust off as soon as possible and pull in about 35 degrees or so timing at around 3000 RPM as soon as it fires, so have the timing light and tach hooked up and ready!

Sorry guys haven't posted. The engine runs great. I will post a video soon. I had a very bad header leak. And wanted to get that fixed first because it was throwing off my afr Guage. So I didn't want to risk it. I was able to break it in for about 8 minutes unfortunately. Decided to stop it until I fixed that issue. And go figure everywhere I went didn't have gaskets for the headers. So I had to order them in. We have also had a death in the family which has halted progress. But I promise in the next couple days I will get you a video of the car running again. It does sound amazing with the new cam.

Sorry guys haven't posted. The engine runs great. I will post a video soon. I had a very bad header leak. And wanted to get that fixed first because it was throwing off my afr Guage. So I didn't want to risk it. I was able to break it in for about 8 minutes unfortunately. Decided to stop it until I fixed that issue. And go figure everywhere I went didn't have gaskets for the headers. So I had to order them in. We have also had a death in the family which has halted progress. But I promise in the next couple days I will get you a video of the car running again. It does sound amazing with the new cam.
Sorry to hear of the death. Always a tramatic situation.

I'm impressed. Starting from 'Help, what's the problem?' to finding the problem, to resolving the problem...and that included engine removal, a head set AND cam replacement...all in one thread in a few days. Not saying it's never happened, just that it's unusual. I'm sure someone like Sox-n-Martin did it a couple of times a weekend back in the day. A DIY backyard fan? Nah.

Congratulations on a job well done. I cannot imagine you are anything less than thrilled with changing out your first choice of cam. It didn't 'fit' your application too well.

Dang. GREAT job!!

A word about header gaskets: Remflex! I'm sure there are those that '..never had no problem...' using PitMaster aluminum foil or somesuch myth. I DID have problems with every gasket I used on my machined flat/straight Hedman headers...until I put in a Remflex gasket. As advertised, 'Finally! A header gasket that works!' Also GREAT for collector gaskets!

Last edited:
I'm impressed. Starting from 'Help, what's the problem?' to finding the problem, to resolving the problem...and that included engine removal, a head set AND cam replacement...all in one thread in a few days. Not saying it's never happened, just that it's unusual. I'm sure someone like Sox-n-Martin did it a couple of times a weekend back in the day. A DIY backyard fan? Nah.

Congratulations on a job well done. I cannot imagine you are anything less than thrilled with changing out your first choice of cam. It didn't 'fit' your application too well.

Dang. GREAT job!!

A word about header gaskets: Remflex! I'm sure there are those that '..never had no problem...' using PitMaster aluminum foil or somesuch myth. I DID have problems with every gasket I used on my machined flat/straight Hedman headers...until I put in a Remflex gasket. As advertised, 'Finally! A header gasket that works!' Also GREAT for collector gaskets!
Thank you for the kind words. But yes it's definitely been a one crazy thread for sure. And yes those typical manifold gaskets suck for sure.

That sounds good! I believe you were successful with the break in!

-
Back