Help needed with sb 318

-
Owner and I only talked briefly......so didn't get a chance to pop the hood.What this is is a truck parked on the side of the road, with a couple similar trucks and old farm equipment. Have driven by it for years, but wasn't looking for a D600, so never paid it any mind. Seller doesn't have it for sale, but would sell it.

If it's a 361, should be similar to engine in this truck.......which is different configuration than the 318 I am using now.

1974 Dodge D600 Grain Truck

Would not be interested if this isn't an easy replacement for the 318, with few if any mods to make it work. Would think it should be as it was an upgrade option for the same truck.

One more thing I found out by running the monster is the use / abuse makes it a poor candidate for an engine that runs hot. At the barn when unloading, has to run at a fast idle for 30 to 45 min at a time. Heard of one guy that tried to replace 318 with a GM big block 454.......and it always ran too hot to work.

Last edited:
Those are some really cool trucks. AFIK, D500 through D700 use the same cabs as the regular pickups but have different components like the side skirts with steps around the bottom to adapt them to the heavy truck frames. A lot of different possibilities there.

Me again Margaret.

Time for an update. Beast has pretty much been running without incident until this year. First day in use......ran....but something was not right.....had no torque and would not pull a load. She eventually died.....and would not start. Ran battery down trying. Then more issues piled up. Awkward as we had 400 bales on the ground.

Next day we went looking for source of trouble. What we quickly found out was clips on distributor cap were not clipped down. It was just floating on distributor loose. How clips came undone and why it ran at all both beyond me. But clipped it down and back to normal. Except now the alternator is not charging. That comes off and goes in for test and maybe replacement.

But all that is not why I'm back. The entire time I've had her and been running her, if she dies when hot, she will not start again until engine cools down. I sense vapor lock. To prevent a hard (or no) hot start, I have read where the Carter BBD has some type of vapor vent that has to be "to specification", whatever that is. The service manual I've read does not say how. Or if it does, I've not found it.

Is this vapor vent problem an easy adjustment on an early 70s era Carter BBD? If so, how?

Last edited:
Vapor vent should valve should be open at idle and closed as soon as throttle starts opening. Putting a later return type filter with a return fuel line back to the tank may help, too.

On my vapor lock when hot issue........another clue:

What is Carburetor Percolation? - Mikes Carburetor Parts

I note that when I took over stewardship, she had a huge 75 gallon fuel tank. The original. That had an electric fuel pump running to the mechanical fuel pump on the engine. I assumed it was to pull and move fuel from that huge tank. That was deleted when I replaced the large tank with a 20 gallon fuel cell. There is no return to the tank.

It also had (and still does have) insulation wrapped around fuel hose from pump to the carb. So looks like I'm not the first one to go down this road. Note the radiator is not at the engine. It is close to 8 to 10 feet away up on the deck, up away from all the hay chaff that floats in the air during operation. The engine has no fan running on it. It is in open air, but no fan offering any cooling help at all. Fan for remote radiator is run off hydraulic motor. It moves a huge volume of air, but none of that makes it to the engine. May check to see if it's possible to mount a fan on engine, even tho there is no radiator. And by default it does run in a hot environment. You make hay when the sun shines. The other day that meant doing on a day when temps peaked at 98*F.

Last edited:
So electrical system was not charging, but battery checked out OK and took a charge. Alternator has checked out OK and putting out 14.7 volts on the bench, so also OK. Either have a bad voltmeter or have a fault in wiring somewhere, which can be found.

But what we have here is a not to spec Delco alternator on homemade bracket. As I understand it, these GM alternators have internal regulator. There does not appear to be a stand alone voltage regulator on the beast. Talked to my resident Dodge guy and he tells me swapping to a Delco for the internal voltage regulator is the way to go. Is that true? If so, what model alternator (with internal regulator) would guys recommend that fits the stock 318 alternator mounting brackets? Auto parts store no help. Once you leave land of "to spec", they are done.

I also checked the insulation on the fuel line where it passes by the exhaust manifold and it was poorly installed to begin with and what there was left of it was is toast. Is there a recommended product to use? There are dozens of options on Amazon.

Last edited:
Alternator back in. Found my charging problem. When beast first arrived, we had a small short in the system, which over time would bleed the battery down when parked. Solved that problem with a 30 amp relay switch that cuts the charging circuit when the ignition was shut off. Apparently that was fried. When I bypassed the relay, voltmeter went to 14+ volts and was charging. That will be an easy fix.

But now for that alternator. It is a 60 amp Delco one wire alternator in a very big frame. Whoever installed it also fabricated a two piece mount. One side on the engine block.......the other belt tension side to the chasis. As mounted so the fan belt pulley will line up right, the back side rubs on the valve cover. Bottom line........I want to get this ironed out right.

Since this is a one wire system........am now looking for a Delco alternator in 60 am range that will mount up without modification into the stock Mopar mounting brackets. I have no clue what model that would be and no salvage yard or auto parts store guy is going to know either. The reason for going Delco is it appears to be a sealed unit. May survive the dust and dirt better than one with open windings.

So anybody know what model Delco I'm looking for? Or what vehicle it may come off?

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

-
Back