help-understand Milleniums?

-
Born in 79, left home at 17, became a journeyman lineman. Always loved Mopar, dad had 68-70 runners. But he was never mechanically inclined, so didn't learn much. So now I've purchased a 69 dart and rebuilding a 416 stroker, being self taught thru books and of course FABO. I enjoy it. An actually not sure what I would have done without FABO...

Wow! Nice!
To answer your question, you probably would have made some mistakes and learned via the school of hard knocks like I did. But that's how many of us learned before the world had a net to check and ask questions to.

My first book was the MP catolog followed by the engines book, chassis book and then "How to rebuild..." Book in which I built my first and current engine with. I can not keep all the specs in my head. So, for me, a book is great.

I figure we are the product of our upbringing . that covers parents, school, friends, society. some we control, some not.

kids today lead a structured life. one sport today, mom takes em to different sport tomorrow. and the next. when I was a kid, running the open spaces with a pellet gun, fishing pole, frog gig, that was entertainment. too young to run lose? ya were sent outside to play. rocks, dirt, chunk of wood. I had a "lincoln log set". that was it. but my cousins didn't have one, so I was invited over on a "rainy" day to play.
I was born in 1948, my mom was 40. my dad 44. they were young adults in the Great Depression. they were raised to put left over ketsup on ya plate BACK in the bottle! if they had any. more likely home made BBQ sauce. I was raised way more " entitled". we had store bought ketsup and used all we wanted! got TV in the 60's. watched Gunsmoke sat nite and Bonanza Sun nite. bout it. no sitting around sat mornng watching cartoons.
you graduated h s, you either got more education, a job, or service. things get tough later? you never considered asking to " move back in". entitled to anything? nothing?
we were taught manners, respect your elders, even if you figured they were a little senile. I was born white in the deep south , but I was taught to rerspect the black person, IF they were my elder. respect.
*** whooping. if you needed it. got one I hs one day, I didn't have my chemistry homework. the asst principal taught it and did ALL whooping. I remember the paddle was 3 foot long, hand carved wood, 1 in thick, he swung it with both hands. he could lift ya off the floor with ya holding on to his desk. parents did not find out or I would have got one at home with nice leather belt. Dr, Spock would have pooked in his drawers over it ? yes I grew up to make mistakes, but no, I did not grow up to steal, rob, kill. developed a work ethic. I was exposed to Christian church. I knew the Bible was the roadmap of life and told me what was right.
decades later, I still have manners, respect people, understand right and wrong, the law,,,, those that deserve respect. ha

Good to read that Trailbeast.

I myself started working nights (12-8) 22 years ago and will continue to do so until my lil'guy is out of school. Which will run me to retirement age.

Small price for being "In" my kids life.

Just being there with them makes a HUGE difference in how they can end up for sure.
Doesn't always work out, but we have to try.
My kids were raised knowing they could pretty much say and do whatever they want.
They also all knew they would pay the price for it. :D
I always felt teaching consequences was more useful that blind threats to mind us or else.

Barrbee, if your grandsons isn't into cars, then that might just be a non interesting thing for him. You could just pack up the whole lot of mags into a box and mail them off with a note that simply says, "Enjoy! I did. It's a great hobby. It helped save me tons of cash!"
Not hearing back from the family is another issue you will have to contend with. I recommend a in person visit. They yield the best results.
I subscribed to all those mags for many years, had stacks of them. I stopped subscribing to them 10 years ago, but I had huge stacks of them. would go back and re read in the " thinking room"...... then one day, I said ENOUGH> threw them all in the lime sink hole out in front pasture! I said ENOUGH!
IF the kid had any interest, I was gonna ask a member to mail him some and let me pay the postage. I plan on making a visit trip up there this fall when the weather cools off. NO AC! in my vehicles! ha
I can see it now. we are sitting around "visiting", the kids are all sitting there bored s******* listening to us "old people",,,,,, and play ing their friggin tech games. and i'm sitting there biting my tongue and steaming! ha

I subscribed to all those mags for many years, had stacks of them. I stopped subscribing to them 10 years ago, but I had huge stacks of them. would go back and re read in the " thinking room"...... then one day, I said ENOUGH> threw them all in the lime sink hole out in front pasture! I said ENOUGH!
IF the kid had any interest, I was gonna ask a member to mail him some and let me pay the postage. I plan on making a visit trip up there this fall when the weather cools off. NO AC! in my vehicles! ha
I can see it now. we are sitting around "visiting", the kids are all sitting there bored s******* listening to us "old people",,,,,, and play ing their friggin tech games. and i'm sitting there biting my tongue and steaming! ha

It's not just the kids anymore either.
I had to tell my Sister and her husband they were not allowed to do anything with their phones at my house except answer calls.
They would stop by on a day off for a visit, but sit here glued to their phones going "uhuh, yep, uhuh, yep when you tried to talk to them.
OK, PUT IT DOWN OR JUST GO HOME! :D
Pretty much the way I put it to them.

Easy now guys! It ain't all of us young guys! I was born in '85, got a job wen I was 15yrs old and have been working since! Moved out at 18 on my dime, got married at 20 on my dime, bought my house when I was 25, owned 45+ cars on my dime, taking the wife to Italy next week on my dime! I'm proud to say that I got *** whoopins' when I deserved 'em, was taught respect and the rewards of hard work! I've got two kids, 10 and 7, and they get the same kind of raising I got!

The problem with the majority of these "millennials" is that they haven't been raised right! You take away parents and teachers right to correct and chastise a disobedient child, and this is what you get! This problem started a long time ago when people chose to take the easy way out and let the kids act how they wanted! Now we've got a nation of lazy, entitled, useless, helpless, educated idiots!
My story is fairly similar. I'm currently 22 years old, I got my first full time job at 15, my first car was a 75 Scamp that I never did get on the road much. Bought the next 22 vehicles on my own (mostly cars I bought cheap and parted out for project money). Started dating my wife at 18, bought our first house and got married at 19. 2 years later we bought 149 acres and put up 2 chicken houses. Now at 22 years old I own a house, own 6 cars, am self employed, and looking to buy another house and 16 acres (and a huge shop :D) that joins our farm. But y'all are right, majority of my generation is probably as y'all said.

actually, what comes around goes around - I remember in high school - - some kids played with cars, some were into music, some sports, others just partied - - hippies, jocks, heads, boozers - cool kids, nerdy kids - you know... it's really not all that different today - just new definitions and ideals. ~~The more things change, the more they stay the same~~ underneath it all, they're just young people trying to figure out who they are - been there!

My story is fairly similar. I'm currently 22 years old, I got my first full time job at 15, my first car was a 75 Scamp that I never did get on the road much. Bought the next 22 vehicles on my own (mostly cars I bought cheap and parted out for project money). Started dating my wife at 18, bought our first house and got married at 19. 2 years later we bought 149 acres and put up 2 chicken houses. Now at 22 years old I own a house, own 6 cars, am self employed, and looking to buy another house and 16 acres (and a huge shop :D) that joins our farm. But y'all are right, majority of my generation is probably as y'all said.
That's great!!! There is nothing like the feelings of success!!! Especially after a big failure! A kid that used to work for me started his own business and for a while borrowed some of my equipment now he has his own and had a couple of glitches but now I'm very proud of his success!

Whenever you hear terms such as Generation X, Y, Z or Millennials it's used to describe the trends of those generations. - Sort of like bookmarking the historical changes in behavioral patterns as time marches on. Those changes are produced by the environments each group is subjected to. When kids don't fit into the stereotype of their peer group it's most likely a sign that they haven't been exposed to all of the same influences. Even the best parent has to compete with what his kid is learning elsewhere. Society (outside of the family) is having a bigger influence than ever before now that television and the internet are a constant in children's lives.

As a kid I played with those little plastic army men a lot. When my boys were young I noticed a trend that disturbed me. They also played with the same army men toys I had - but there was a difference. When they played it was all about destruction. Everybody died. They didn't seem to differentiate between the German, Japanese, or U.S. troops. They didn't seem to recognize any distinction between good or bad. It was all about action.

I'd always tried to be a good parent and had tried to control what my kids watched on TV. I kept them away from shows with profanity, overt sexual content, and too much violence. Despite having shielded them from what I believed were negative influences there still seemed to be something wrong. I didn't feel they'd developed a sense of empathy or an understanding of honor.

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN came out in 1998. I'd seen it and was aware of how much violence was in the film. - But I was also moved by the overriding message of giving and honor in it. Although I struggled with letting my kids watch it I felt that the movie's message was important. I bought a copy on DVD as soon as it came available.

The action captivated the interest of my boys. They didn't talk through it. Afterwards they were unusually quiet. We finished out the day and they only spoke about the action scenes. I worried that I'd made a horrible mistake letting them see it.

The next day they returned to playing with the little army men - often reenacting scenes from the movie. - But there was a difference. They seemed to want to protect some of the soldiers. It became less about the violence the toys could inflict on each other and evolved into a battle for survival between forces of good versus those of evil.

When Spencer (my youngest son) graduated high school he immediately joined the army. Like any parent I feared for his safety and didn't want to see him go. The Iraq war was going on. When I asked him why he chose to enlist he gave me two answers. He wanted to earn money for college and he felt it was his duty.

After 2 tours of duty in Iraq he came home intact. I never let him see me cry when he'd left or told him how much I'd prayed for his safety. I do believe that he chose his own path. Did I influence that path he chose? I don't know. He's far from perfect but he's a pretty good egg. And I know I'm proud of who he's become.

Ya, he's a millennial. But he doesn't fit the mold.

True story
When I was going to pick up my 65 barracuda my youngest asked if he could drive it to school and what kind of sound system it had. Explaining the car would take awhile to restore he still remained curious. I told him it had an AM radio. Of course he asked what that was. Told him that was the part of his sound system he had never used and when I was his age that is all I had to listen too.
We then went over no power windows, no power brakes and so forth.
He asked if the air conditioning worked well. I told him it didn't have air conditioning.
He looked at me and said I know you are jiving me now because every car has air conditioning.
I am still restoring my car, but he doesn't volunteer to help and hasn't asked about driving it anymore
May be a good thing.

Please, for the love of whom you consider holy, reserve the "stereotypical" millennial behavior to the later born in the era. I was born in '82, and I'm very tech savvy and identify with a lot of the characteristics. But when it comes to the whining, sniveling, you owe me because I'm a human being type of attitudes, I'd rather drag them into the street and beat them about the face and neck with a common sense stick.
I would almost say that anyone born in 1987 and later are the millennial's that are contributing to the bad rep the most.

Of course there are exceptions to this.

I am not stereotyping anyone. I was sharing a story about my son that I found to be funny. He is a computer guy who is in college and I think the world of. He will graduate and become more successful than I have. He will have his dream car which currently is a Tesla. Just as I grew up in the muscle car era. Things change.

actually the only millennium I am wondering about is the 16 yr old grandson.

I can even remember back that far! ha.....52 yrs! I had not that many thoughts in my head! after school job, my horses, passing my h s classes...... a little hunting, fishing. I had wheels, sorta.... gas for it, horse feed..... BUT I knew my parents were NOT well off, more like on the poor side. and if I wanted something I better work for it...... basically I never asked for anything.

I figure we are the product of our upbringing . that covers parents, school, friends, society. some we control, some not.

kids today lead a structured life. one sport today, mom takes em to different sport tomorrow. and the next. when I was a kid, running the open spaces with a pellet gun, fishing pole, frog gig, that was entertainment. too young to run lose? ya were sent outside to play. rocks, dirt, chunk of wood. I had a "lincoln log set". that was it. but my cousins didn't have one, so I was invited over on a "rainy" day to play.
I was born in 1948, my mom was 40. my dad 44. they were young adults in the Great Depression. they were raised to put left over ketsup on ya plate BACK in the bottle! if they had any. more likely home made BBQ sauce. I was raised way more " entitled". we had store bought ketsup and used all we wanted! got TV in the 60's. watched Gunsmoke sat nite and Bonanza Sun nite. bout it. no sitting around sat mornng watching cartoons.
you graduated h s, you either got more education, a job, or service. things get tough later? you never considered asking to " move back in". entitled to anything? nothing?
we were taught manners, respect your elders, even if you figured they were a little senile. I was born white in the deep south , but I was taught to rerspect the black person, IF they were my elder. respect.
*** whooping. if you needed it. got one I hs one day, I didn't have my chemistry homework. the asst principal taught it and did ALL whooping. I remember the paddle was 3 foot long, hand carved wood, 1 in thick, he swung it with both hands. he could lift ya off the floor with ya holding on to his desk. parents did not find out or I would have got one at home with nice leather belt. Dr, Spock would have pooked in his drawers over it ? yes I grew up to make mistakes, but no, I did not grow up to steal, rob, kill. developed a work ethic. I was exposed to Christian church. I knew the Bible was the roadmap of life and told me what was right.
decades later, I still have manners, respect people, understand right and wrong, the law,,,, those that deserve respect. ha

Cupcake generation

-
Back