HELP: Will a 68 Dart hardtop door fit on a 69 Dart vert?

-

DA69RT GT

South Florida Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tryin to find out if a 68 Dart hardtop door will work on a 69 Dart convertible.
And what is the avg price? Would $100 be fair for a door in decent condition?
Thanks

Will all the windows fit (height, etc)? I also heard the vent window is different?
Not sure I would want to tackle swapping out guts... is it a big job????

Don't think the vent is different but if it is it can be swapped out if you have the old one. The old interchange manual I have says the "door" is the same. Doesn't say anything about the extra stuff.

I know the lock mechanism is different (68 sits farther back) but leery about the whole window situation... was hopin for a easy swap

what side are you swapping? I think hardtop & convert-- use the same stuff-- ma Mopar did some crazy stuff -- but different doors would be incredible. I have 2 69 p/s doors is why i ask ,Lawrence

The vent window is the same, I used the vent window out of a hardtop parts car. Had the frames rechromed and in some research, seen they were convertible only.

BUT the chrome vent window frame is different on a convertible.

Doors should be the same.

So... the vent frames are different and will need to switched out. What was different about them if you dont mind me askin?
And the windows will NOT need to be switched? right?

I actually am looking for both doors. How much you asking for your p/s door?

I was able to pull the part # for the 69 vert doors (thanks to 4spdragtop): 2934-474/5
but dont have a 68 cross reference...

I was able to pull the part # for the 69 vert doors (thanks to 4spdragtop): 2934-474/5
but dont have a 68 cross reference...

Here is what I found, 68 drivers side part#'s are all the same for the shell for dart barracuda valiant, and covers 2dr hardtop, coupe and convert, part # is 2859 508-9 pass side #'s are 2859 068-9. I would get someone to verify, but 68 manual is saying they are the same, well the shell is anyway.

Ok, so here is what I know as far as cuda doors go, they are all the same except for the innards, as well as the door lock location changes. It make sense the part #'s are different, but that doesnt mean they wont interchange. I would imagine door lock locations are different with the doors as well. Changing the innards can be a pain, but if there isnt much rust, it should go ok. Soak the snot out of the insides with wd40 before ya start!

this weekend , I'll check the vent window frames in my garage, the origianl convert frames were well used, I pulled some decent ones from a hardtop, they are all hanging in my garage in various places-- i check them out ,thanks for the info, Lawrence

The consensus is that the shells are the same but the windows incl vent frame are all different. The only thing I do know for sure is that the lock position is further back on a 68.

However-I have had a few people (who I respect greatly) that swear they will interchange exactly as is... :munky2:

Any addtl input will be greatly appreciated and accepted...

Yes the inside lock button is farther back on the 68, the vent window and frame is the same but the door glass is different in the conv. It drops down lower as it gets toward the back of the door. the glass is not that hard to swap. Roll both windows up and measure from the top of the door, you will see the difference.hope this helps...

Did not read all the posts so if this has been covered, sorry. My car is a 69, and the latch was shot. So I found a place that sells new ones, but they are for a 68. The lock rod is different form 68 to 69, so make sure that you have a matched set (lock rod/latch), other than that I can not help you......

this thread gets more confusing each time I read it.
I have 2 pairs of vent frames in my garage---1 set cameoffofmy69 dart convert
the other set came from a hardtop (68 if i recall)
the part numbers are the same 2663 528 14552 30503-cc 2663 529 14553 30503-c
(vent frame assembly #'s)
the sad thing is I have some tinted &some non-tinted.
I'll have to pull the door glass from the parts door to check the above statements about the cut.
Thanks Lawrence

Attachments

• Picture 193 (Large).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture 194 (Large).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 334
Thanks for all the info guys... starting to come together here.
VDart looks like the vents are the same- that was a major concern. Now its a matter of the windows. And after checking what 340doc said... it seems that my windows DO slant down towards the back of the door (always just thought they were just sagging lol).

Thanks again guys for all the input and great info. Gonna measure the hardtop windows and compare to convertible. How hard is it to change out the windows/glass?

To be cont.....

can you post some pictures comparing the convert glass vs the ht glass? thanks

how accurate are hollander manuals? I have 1 that covers the glass questions being asked--- the convert door glass is different than the hardtop--
69 door (2322b)
67 doors--(1967b)aside view mirror is further forward & door lock knobs are further back
68 doors (2093b) door lock knobs are further back

door glass convert
69 dart #3411 69 bcuda same
67-68 dart #3210 67-68 bcuda same
hardtop
67-68 dart #3209
69 dart #3412(also fits70-72 dart 71&72 valiant) no demons/dusters
# given is the hollander number assigned to that part.

VDART - you rock. Im gonna measure my glass tommorow but in looking at it I can see it tilts downwards from front to back.

Thanks a million for takin the time... appreciate it. Send me a pic of your car and I will make you a Photo Enthusiast Card (see my avatar). Ill pm you my email

how accurate are hollander manuals? I have 1 that covers the glass questions being asked--- the convert door glass is different than the hardtop--
69 door (2322b)
67 doors--(1967b)aside view mirror is further forward & door lock knobs are further back
68 doors (2093b) door lock knobs are further back

door glass convert
69 dart #3411 69 bcuda same
67-68 dart #3210 67-68 bcuda same
hardtop
67-68 dart #3209
69 dart #3412(also fits70-72 dart 71&72 valiant) no demons/dusters
# given is the hollander number assigned to that part.

Good info there.
I'm still upset that I loaned my old Hollander book and never got it back. It sure would come in handy these days.
Dallas

the info is self serving too, if you guys need some info from the hollander-- it is the body parts edition 65-79.
It also crosses over to the NAGS numbers Cool book.
Lawrence

the info is self serving too, if you guys need some info from the hollander-- it is the body parts edition 65-79.
It also crosses over to the NAGS numbers Cool book.
Lawrence

I'm jealous now. I think that's the years my Hollander covered also. It really aggravates me that I can't remember who I loaned mine to. Of course it's more aggravating that they didn't return it on their own.:angry7::angry7:
Those are the most useful years now.
Dallas

I think the only difference in the doors is that the convertible has two holes drilled in the latch area for the black plastic wedges that align with the brass wedge on the door jamb. The hardtop door should have a bump in the area that needs to be drilled.

-
Back