help with 318 exhaust

-

70dusta

Reaction score
Hey everyone i need some help with exhaust for my incoming 70 duster. I was planning on getting a set of hooker competition header, but I have no idea what to do after the headers. The thought of running no mufflers straight pipes out the back to get a better sound out of the 318. What do you guys think. Anything will help.

The thought of running no mufflers straight pipes out the back to get a better sound out of the 318. What do you guys think.
Stupid and a no brainer for a power lose.
2-1/4 for stock to mild nuilds, 2-1/2 for 300 and better.

Only if you like annoying your neighbors, getting pulled over by the police and not being able to talk to the other people in your car. 2 1/4 inch pipe with Flow Masters all the way out the back

yeah when i first put my headers on i was driving it to the muffler shop to get my exhaust run... and all i had was some straight pipes running back off my 318 and i got pulled over about 3 miles from my house and luckily i didn't get a ticket cause the cop followed me to the muffler shop when i told him thats where i was going.... but also we have very strict sound restrictions around here so i don't know how it is anywhere else but seriously running no mufflers is probably one of the worst things to do with your exhaust

i agree open headers are basicly for race, have been driving with it some nights but it doesnt sound soo good and it anoys people alot:(
think 2 1/4" is good enough but i would go for 2 ½" all the way back to have some left if you decide to make more power in the future;)
for a cool sound and pretty cheap chambered mufflers i would try the flowtech afterburner mufflers or their terminator, they sound good and i have sold lots of them here in sweden without complaints about how they sound but that depends on what sound you like...

70dusta, :idea1: I didn't have a lot of cash on hand at the time. If you go to the sound bytes post (link below), I can give you an idea of sound with 2.5 pipes and glass packs. My crossover calm's the packs down some and I've never been pulled over. Not taking in the cost of the packs/headers, the pipes with crossover from the collectors out to the rear cost 200.00 CDN.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=7322

with that mild engine, i like 2 1/4 with dynomax super turbos. this exhaust works well with a mild 360, in case you decide to upgrade.

mikedevore said:
with that mild engine, i like 2 1/4 with dynomax super turbos. this exhaust works well with a mild 360, in case you decide to upgrade.

My exhaust starts small at the stock 273 manifolds,
and then goes to 2 1/4" and thru Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers,and then out the rear of the car. :thumblef:

I had the rear seat out of the car,and added some sound proofing/deadning
material under the seat,and it got rid of the echo/resonance I had;
that the g/f did not like.[Gotta keep the g/f happy} ;)

Under the rear seat, there is no carpet,and sound can echo thru the car.
2549headliner_project_64_Valiant_026-med.jpg

2549fa7a.jpg

I heard that! I grabbed some cheaper, but still yet effective stuff and absoultely love the fact that I can think in my car again.

On my 273 I had 1 5/8" headers with 3" collectors. Then went to 2 1/2" pipes (we were just starting to hear about H pipes back then) back through 2 1/2" Turbo mufflers dumping in front of the rear axle. I probably would have been better off with 2 1/4" pipes since my motor didn't make a lot of torque, BUT!!!!!! The DEEP THROBBING sound of that exhaust shook the rear view mirrors of the cars around me & scared off a few mightier cars. At idle you would've sworn there had to be a big block under my hood. I loved it! Oh, the good old days............. Gawd!!! I've got to get that car back on the road! I haven't had a ticket for "Exhibition driving, Show of acceleration." in years! :blob6:

:burnout:

rumblefish360 said:
I heard that! I grabbed some cheaper, but still yet effective stuff and absoultely love the fact that I can think in my car again.

Whats cheaper than Peel & Seal?> Link?

At Lowes its not much money.

cavemanmoron said:
Whats cheaper than Peel & Seal?> Link?

At Lowes its not much money.

Actually, I ment to say I grabed some cheaper quality stuff. Not fully covering the floor. Just key spots. Over the 4spd hump and tunnel. Not fully to the rear. Floor pans front and rear where the pipes & mufflers run. Made a world of difference.

-
Back