Help with 451 piston choice please.

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been researching what pistons to go with for my 451 build, and have narrowed it down to the following. All of the KB's will require quench dome measuring and milling to some extent. Any suggestions on other piston options would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to find the best set of pistons that I can for around the five hundred dollar range. My block will clean/finish bore at .060" overbore.

Keith Black hypereutectic KB 215 or KB 251, with 6.358 400 rods.
Keith Black hypereutectic KB 280 with 6.768 440 rods.
Icon forged IC 823 or IC 837, with 6.768 440 rods.

Thanks

I would use Ross. Compuflow still shows them for $549 a set. 1.32 comp height and whatever pin you need.

I talked with the machinist today and he told me that it would probably be cheaper in the long run to go with a full rotating assembly. Problem being that 440 Source and Muscle Motors doesn't offer their kits with the .060 overbore pistons. Does anyone know of any stroker kits in a similar price range that offer the 4.402 size pistons?

So now I am wondering 451, 470, or 512? They all seem to be about the same price. I was leaning towards the 451 but have read great things about the 470. The 512 seems to be a strict race application, correct?

Thanks

The 512 is just a bigger stroker. Looks like you will need a custom piston in that bore size.

I talked with the machinist today and he told me that it would probably be cheaper in the long run to go with a full rotating assembly. Problem being that 440 Source and Muscle Motors doesn't offer their kits with the .060 overbore pistons. Does anyone know of any stroker kits in a similar price range that offer the 4.402 size pistons?

So now I am wondering 451, 470, or 512? They all seem to be about the same price. I was leaning towards the 451 but have read great things about the 470. The 512 seems to be a strict race application, correct?

Thanks

The Muscle Motors Catalog and the Icon Catalog both list the IC823 in a .060" overbore for 4.402". Have you checked directly with either of them?

The Icon Catalog also lists the IC837 in a .060" overbore.

I know the pistons are available separately. I will check into the availability, of the pistons in a rotating assembly. thanks.

Spoke with Muscle Motors and it looks like they offer the rotating assembly stroker kits in the .060" over bore piston size for the 451, 470, 512.

-
Back