help with a possible trade...

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
I have a friend who deals with 68-70 chargers, and he got a 4 speed for an A body in trade, he said he would sell to me for $200 but I just had a baby 3 weeks ago and don't really have the money for buying things for a car I haven't drove in 2 months. but I have an extra console like the one in my car it has the shifter handle console door cigerette ash tray everything, and thinking about seeing if he will trade,

first question what is. what is a console like that worth

second question is what is a 4 speed trans worth, doesn't have bell housing, he said it looks good inside so not sure if it would need to be rebuilt or if I pretty much should do that.

and what all do you need to switch a car from auto to 4 speed and cost...givin you already have the 4 speed

sorry for the rant but I need help

I just paid 1200 dollars for the auto trans 2 years ago its a 727, and what is the re-sale value on one of those if I decided to sell it to fund the project.

200 is a good deal for an A body 4 speed trans provided it's not an OD unit.

There's a BUNCH more parts you need to swap to a 4 speed.

I converted to a four speed from a three speed, but this was my final cost:

Transmission 250.00
Transmission Hump 20.00
Clutch and Pressure Plate 351.00
Throwout Bearing 47.90
Resurface Flywheel 25.00
Bellhousing 117.51
Transmission Yoke 19.99
Shifter and Rods 314.25
Bearing Retainer 94.50
Driveshaft 70.00
Speedo Cable 26.00
Steering column 40.00
Shifter Boot 70.00
Carpet 154.37
Total $1,600.52

I thought I got a great deal on the transmission and the hump and some things you might not need like the yoke, driveshaft and speedo cable, but I was converting from a trunion style front u-joint to a normal slip yoke at the same time.

IMHO, your automatic will be a hard sell unless someone that trusts you is in the market. It's hard to tell what's inside without tearing it down.

I'd ask your friend to hold onto the trans. and sell the console yourself. I'm pretty sure you can get more than $200 for it if it's in good shape. When everything is said and done it'll cost a lot to convert. I'd just slowly gather the parts needed as money allows. Some things not mentioned were clutch pedals and your flywheel will need to be externally balanced to match your 360 (unless that's been changed)

yeah thats the plan is to buy the parts over time and then just do it one day, I may put the console on the for sale section and see what I can get for it...

-
Back