Help with bucket install...help !!!

-

grassy

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a set of non mopar buckets for safety even though I had a set or originals to restore and install.

I assumed that it could attach the new buckets to the existing sliders and bob would be your uncle.

Anyway, by eyeballing the mopar sliders in the car, they didn't look flat so we put a level on them an they were not,,btw, I labeled them when I took them off...so I dug out the original seat frames..also marked....bolted a set of tracks on them..no go..so I reversed then and three out of 4 holes work but it is silly to look at.(see picture) .the slider control should be on the door side..and btw, they are very close to the door.

I guess it would have been too much to ask for a flat install like other cars I have worked on..

do I have the wrong sliders ??? does anyone have a template that I can make these seat fit ?

Thanks
Ian.

984331600_533U8-XL.jpg

This might sound stupid but is that the driver side bracket in the passanger side place? Reason I as is because i know mine on the driver side in that location is raised up a bit.

Here is a shot of a passenger side bucket installed. In your pic it looks like the outer bracket is installed in the holes where a bench would install?? If so the outer bracket with the lever sits inboard of the hump where the bench would sit. Under the car you can see the reinforcement bracket has 2 holes Out board is for bench, and in board is for buckets.

Side and one from the front... Hope these are of some help.

Not stupid at all...

Odd stuff

The two seats are the same size;
the bolt holes are probably 2 inches wider for the driver seat vs pass seat;
i took that seat and moved it over to the drivers side and the gizmo that you move to change the seating position would not let the door close.

Any ideas folks..I am getting balder and looking a bit bad in front of the kids..you know, dad is supposed to have most of the answers :)

Ian,

oooh...just read you post with pics...heading out to the car..

ian.

If you look at your photo the position "Gizmo" is on the inside. But on T2R9's car there on the outside towards the door.

HAHAHA.....I am actually in the middle of a bucket seat install in my duster......no kidding....RIGHT NOW (taking a break and cooling off for a minute)

I picked up a set of leather buckets out of an 09 acurra tl type S.

the problem with going to newer seats alot of the time is that they are wider than factory buckets (found out the hard way lol).

I originally had a bench seat.

between the seats being the width that they are and A bodies having an offset trans tunnel by a few inchs ....there is no way I could use the stock bucket seat bolt hole locations (4 dimples on each side of the floor pan)....the drivers side seat would be fine but since the trans tunnel is offset my passenger seat would dang near have to bolt on top of the trans tunnel.

SO what I did to solve this little problem was as follows....

My seats are power and already have tracks on them.

I ended up utilizing the existing bench seat mounting holes (2 bolt holes on the raised humps on each side of the floor pan) and I then welded 1x1 square stock steel risers to meet flush with the floor below on the inners to make up the difference since I used the bench seat mounts which are higher (confused? lol).....ALSO if you have not, I highly suggest doing this.......I cut out 3"x3" square of 3/16" thick flat steel (4 of them) and I welded them into my floor pan on the inner mounting locations (closest to trans tunnel on each side of the floor pan).....reason being , if you have a bench seat car....you do not have these.....and they are worth the peice of mind in security just IN CASE anything were to ever happen...your bolts wont rip out of the floor in an accident , also years of driving may rip through the floor over time.

the FACTORY bucket seat mounting bolt hole locations are a 12" square .....I have mine set at about 16 1/2" from center bolt hole to center bolt hole in width and about 12" from center bolt hole to center bolt hole in length (stock length) but about 2" wider on each side that the factory mounting location.

sorry for rambeling....just figured I would tell you what I have been messing with, I will include some pictures in case it is of any help to you.

DSCI1023.jpg

DSCI1024.jpg

DSCI1025.jpg

DSCI1026.jpg

DSCI1027.jpg

DSCI1028.jpg

DSCI1029.jpg

DSCI1031.jpg

Bingo..the "new" hole placement works.

A big "unfortunately" is that I cannot weld so I will be using plates with big washers. I am limited to using steel and drilling holes in it..wish I had a friend that could weld but the nearest guy that I know of is a tad over a two hour drive..and I cannot borrow his kit because he uses it ..hope I cam make it strong enough for that possibility..

What i intend to do is to install the sliders..run a couple of small steal plates over them and bolt the bucket to it..

If it works I will post.

Thanks for the pics.

ian.

-
Back