Help with Daily Driver? Please?

-

Ironracer

Gearhead
Reaction score
Hello Y'all! Hopefully Everyone and Everything is Great far All Y'all! Ok Here's what's going on. I have an 07 Dakota with the 3.7 recently every now and then it seems like someone's tapping the brakes. Right now it's kind of the only daily driver I have and the gals been using it to go to work it's almost a hundred miles a day around trip. It's been stalling a little bit but also it seems like the transmission is locking up or something. I checked the fluid yesterday, before she went to go to nightshift. it was 2 quarts low, so I put two quarts of ATF plus 4 in it, checked it it was good, But the other side of dipstick it looked like there was some funky dunk on it. In other words look like black particles kind of crunchy looking I should have took them and put them in the sunlight a little bit better with some eyeglasses on or took a magnet to them. So she went to take her drive to work and she came back a little while later and said that it was running three grand at 70 normally it's running quite less than that. Also though right about the same time the check engine light started flashing on and off sometimes, intermittently in other words. I don't even know what to do right now. She can't take my duster right now the Harley's not finished and her amigo doesn't have headlights and they will not move her to day shift. She's in a management position for a national food chain, so this could probably be pretty grizzly. Is there any direction any y'all can point me into to make any quick checks? Is it possible something electronic got jammed up a little bit? Again I want to restate this sometimes when you're driving the truck it seems like someone's jamming the brakes on for just a second second. It seems like that only happens in fourth but when it stalls it's in first. I don't know what to do, I don't have a manual for the book I was hoping some of the pros on here to deal with these things on a regular could throw me a few pointers on which way to try to pull some quick diagnostics so I can do a process of elimination spreadsheet.
Anyway Love to all Yall and your Family's Loved Ones! I hope everyone is Well!
Thank You!

if the cel is on/flashes, take it to az(i didn't want to say this but...) and have them read the codes. then google search the codes for possible problems. if'n i was closer, i'd come by and help but.....

I am guessing;
Is it possible that 1) the ignition system is cutting in and out? or 2) possibly that the vehicle is losing all electrical power?
Either of these would cause the brake-check feeling as the engine goes into engine-braking; But
1) the loss of ignition would cause only the Cel to come on. whereas in
2) as soon as the power is restored, the ECU would do a self check, same as it does when you first start it. and ALL the lights would come on.. momentarily then all would wink out.

As for #1, I think a failing coil would do the same, if the '07 still has the single E-core coil. However, sometimes what seems to be a failing coil is actually a failing signal to the coil, which would then point to a failing Crank-position sensor, or a bad circuit in the computer, or a bad power-supply to it.

As to the high rpm at 70, that would be the overdrive and lock-up kicking out, which could be for the same reason, namely; the computer lost signal, and has to re-establish it's parameters.

I am guessing.

Last edited:
First step should be to get the diagnostic trouble codes or DTCs pulled by a code reader, at least then you will hopefully have a direction to start with, otherwise it's just guessing and that will likely only lead to wasting time and money needlessly.

Hello Y'all! Hopefully Everyone and Everything is Great far All Y'all! Ok Here's what's going on. I have an 07 Dakota with the 3.7 recently every now and then it seems like someone's tapping the brakes. Right now it's kind of the only daily driver I have and the gals been using it to go to work it's almost a hundred miles a day around trip. It's been stalling a little bit but also it seems like the transmission is locking up or something. I checked the fluid yesterday, before she went to go to nightshift. it was 2 quarts low, so I put two quarts of ATF plus 4 in it, checked it it was good, But the other side of dipstick it looked like there was some funky dunk on it. In other words look like black particles kind of crunchy looking I should have took them and put them in the sunlight a little bit better with some eyeglasses on or took a magnet to them. So she went to take her drive to work and she came back a little while later and said that it was running three grand at 70 normally it's running quite less than that. Also though right about the same time the check engine light started flashing on and off sometimes, intermittently in other words. I don't even know what to do right now. She can't take my duster right now the Harley's not finished and her amigo doesn't have headlights and they will not move her to day shift. She's in a management position for a national food chain, so this could probably be pretty grizzly. Is there any direction any y'all can point me into to make any quick checks? Is it possible something electronic got jammed up a little bit? Again I want to restate this sometimes when you're driving the truck it seems like someone's jamming the brakes on for just a second second. It seems like that only happens in fourth but when it stalls it's in first. I don't know what to do, I don't have a manual for the book I was hoping some of the pros on here to deal with these things on a regular could throw me a few pointers on which way to try to pull some quick diagnostics so I can do a process of elimination spreadsheet.
Anyway Love to all Yall and your Family's Loved Ones! I hope everyone is Well!
Thank You!
Hate to say this, but black chunks in the fluid is a really bad sign.
That and your description of the rpm changes and braking feeling points to the possibility of clutches burned and discs welding themselves together.
Hope I’m wrong, but…

It's going into limp mode for the transmission since the RPM's are higher. That is a 5 speed automatic (545RFE) and when it goes into limp mode, it goes back to 3rd gear and stays there. My 04 Dakota kept doing it. It set a P0700 and a P0750 code which was shift solenoid malfunction situation. I had a new one put in and it fixed it for a while, but it came back. Had a new rebuilt transmission put in...and it came back! :BangHead: I checked all the wiring for bad spots and it was fine. Only thing left was the ECM, which has the transmission control module integrated into it. I hail Mary-ed that as a last ditch effort, and swapped in a remanufactured ECM, and it ain't done it since.

That was my troubles with the same transmission, so yours may be different. You can go to Autozone and get them to pull the codes, but they won't be able to reset them for you. You may also be able to click the switch on and off 3 times real quick, and it will display the codes where the odometer is. You can disconnect the negative battery cable for a few seconds and it will turn the check engine light off and reset the codes, but won't fix the problem which may come right back as soon as she gets up the road a little ways.

Good luck with it. It can be a pain to figure out exactly what it is!

First step should be to get the diagnostic trouble codes or DTCs pulled by a code reader, at least then you will hopefully have a direction to start with, otherwise it's just guessing and that will likely only lead to wasting time and money needlessly.
Yessir, definitely gonna pull the codes! Thanks Link, Absolutely Agreed!

if the cel is on/flashes, take it to az(i didn't want to say this but...) and have them read the codes. then google search the codes for possible problems. if'n i was closer, i'd come by and help but.....
Thank You Sir, I wish most of us lived closer!

Hate to say this, but black chunks in the fluid is a really bad sign.
That and your description of the rpm changes and braking feeling points to the possibility of clutches burned and discs welding themselves together.
Hope I’m wrong, but…
Thanks TB! I kinda figured it may need a total rebuild. Probably 2 grand "on the bench". The guy that did my 727 for 300 was 1200 on a Ranger Transmission I call for a friend about. And that was 10 years ago

It's going into limp mode for the transmission since the RPM's are higher. That is a 5 speed automatic (545RFE) and when it goes into limp mode, it goes back to 3rd gear and stays there. My 04 Dakota kept doing it. It set a P0700 and a P0750 code which was shift solenoid malfunction situation. I had a new one put in and it fixed it for a while, but it came back. Had a new rebuilt transmission put in...and it came back! :BangHead: I checked all the wiring for bad spots and it was fine. Only thing left was the ECM, which has the transmission control module integrated into it. I hail Mary-ed that as a last ditch effort, and swapped in a remanufactured ECM, and it ain't done it since.

That was my troubles with the same transmission, so yours may be different. You can go to Autozone and get them to pull the codes, but they won't be able to reset them for you. You may also be able to click the switch on and off 3 times real quick, and it will display the codes where the odometer is. You can disconnect the negative battery cable for a few seconds and it will turn the check engine light off and reset the codes, but won't fix the problem which may come right back as soon as she gets up the road a little ways.

Good luck with it. It can be a pain to figure out exactly what it is!
Thanks Brother! I'll Definitely try that before I get a unit! Great Starting Point!

It cost me 2200 to get my 545 rebuilt with good parts, and R&R'd. It was a buddy deal though. I took them the transmission that came out of the truck originally when I bought it locked up with 200K miles on it. They bench built it and then swapped em out. I had a 545 that I'd bought to put in my 70 Duster with a 5.7 Hemi, and just used it in the Dakota. It worked good until it didn't...lol. You might try changing fluid and filters, clean all of the grounds and see if that helps. If you do change the fluid and filters (there are 2 filters in the trans) be sure to make sure the o ring on the spin on filter inside the trans didn't come off the filter and stick. They are even worse than oil filters to do that. If you clean all the grounds, it will be the ones you can see on the bellhousing bolts and maybe one down low somewhere. Clean the grounds on the ECM where it bolts to the inner fender. If/when you clean them, use some of that dielectric grease like you put on battery posts when you put them back together. It will definately help protect them from all of that close by salt! :)

It cost me 2200 to get my 545 rebuilt with good parts, and R&R'd. It was a buddy deal though. I took them the transmission that came out of the truck originally when I bought it locked up with 200K miles on it. They bench built it and then swapped em out. I had a 545 that I'd bought to put in my 70 Duster with a 5.7 Hemi, and just used it in the Dakota. It worked good until it didn't...lol. You might try changing fluid and filters, clean all of the grounds and see if that helps. If you do change the fluid and filters (there are 2 filters in the trans) be sure to make sure the o ring on the spin on filter inside the trans didn't come off the filter and stick. They are even worse than oil filters to do that. If you clean all the grounds, it will be the ones you can see on the bellhousing bolts and maybe one down low somewhere. Clean the grounds on the ECM where it bolts to the inner fender. If/when you clean them, use some of that dielectric grease like you put on battery posts when you put them back together. It will definately help protect them from all of that close by salt! :)
That's Some Killer Info Man! Thank You !

Turn of the overdrive and see if the problem goes away.

It will suck for MPG but might make it drivable until you figure it out or get those headlights fixed in the other car.

smellt he trands fluid see if it smells brurnt youll know the smell real bad like dropping something on the stove burner and stinking the whole house out...is it does youll at least know the trans is on its way out...

Killer Idea Man! Thank You Sir!
Turn off f the overdrive and see if the problem goes away.

It will suck for MPG but might make it drivable until you figure it out or get those headlights fixed in the other car.
Unfortunately now it has a no start condition..... I absolutely hate these newer vehicles man you can almost make an older one run no matter what if you have to...

smellt he trands fluid see if it smells brurnt youll know the smell real bad like dropping something on the stove burner and stinking the whole house out...is it does youll at least know the trans is on its way out...
It never looked that good from the beginning. 3 weeks before Christmas year before last the gal was coming home from a job and someone left turned in front of her but the insurance company Jacked me around for a while. The market for used trucks was pretty shot out. 5-8 grand for a Ram most had about 280,000 miles on em. So we found this lil truck. A handicapped kid with elephantitis sold it to us. Turned out He owned Latina Auto sales. He magically wasn't available all day till dark, and I had to get the rental truck the insurance company gave us back, within a day or two, well the motor has been switched the crank case PCV, it wasn't hooked up right. Damn thing had a leaking rear main seal. And a cracked cylinder head. We've Cruised it from Tampa to Old Town for work, and we've taken it to Big Daddy's museum on the way to Jacksonville, when we had an electrical issue possibly due to the cold for Christmas, got stuck there for 2 days! Christmas and the Eve of. we didn't even make it to give the kids their presents that (sucks we still have them here); All the young and her family will probably have outgrown them by the time we get up there again! Anyhow for all that madness it's been an okay daily driver and now all of a sudden it just went to crap. And I'll never buy that body style Dakota again my '01 sport, even though it wasn't a four-door, with the five-speed and 4.7, ( that trick ripped ! Tons of fun and I still worked the tar outta er) seems like it had more room on the inside of it from left to right you can't even adjust your seats in this thing with the doors closed! Also ain't happy with the gauges..

Last edited:
When you get it back running, what "I" would do is go ahead and do a drain and fill and new filter on the transmission and add a bottle of this: Transmission Fix
I sold a lot of it when I worked at O'Reilly and always heard back good reviews. As with any additive, it will take a little while to get worked in and see results. But it will improve it at the very least, unless it's just burned up.

Killer Idea Man! Thank You Sir!

Unfortunately now it has a no start condition..... I absolutely hate these newer vehicles man you can almost make an older one run no matter what if you have to...
I agree, my newest vehicle is a 2002, my daily is a 1990 Bronco, not much I can't figure out on the 1990, it has given me a little bit of grief, but nothing major. The 2005 Magnum R/T I had a few years back was nothing but a money pit, lost a lot of money on that pos but I was smiling as it drove away. Wish I was closer and could help you out.

I agree, my newest vehicle is a 2002, my daily is a 1990 Bronco, not much I can't figure out on the 1990, it has given me a little bit of grief, but nothing major. The 2005 Magnum R/T I had a few years back was nothing but a money pit, lost a lot of money on that pos but I was smiling as it drove away. Wish I was closer and could help you out.
Thanks brother I highly appreciate that yeah we're a couple miles apart man when we were all talking the other night I was thinking it'd be cool if we all lived close enough to get together

Thanks brother I highly appreciate that yeah we're a couple miles apart man when we were all talking the other night I was thinking it'd be cool if we all lived close enough to get together
That would be neato.

When you get it back running, what "I" would do is go ahead and do a drain and fill and new filter on the transmission and add a bottle of this: Transmission Fix
I sold a lot of it when I worked at O'Reilly and always heard back good reviews. As with any additive, it will take a little while to get worked in and see results. But it will improve it at the very least, unless it's just burned up.
Thank You Brother Rob! It was moving the other day just felt like the brakes were grabbing but it wouldn't go into high gear or if it did it slip a little bit you could kind of tell by the RPMs I guess but nothing else slipped! Now shes got a start condition. I don't even know where to start on something like that, to try to even get anything going on with it! Also has an intermittent ignition key switch where it tries to keep the starter engaged at times.... I don't know if that's possible that had something to do with no crank condition but it had been stalling out last week too at low speeds.... I'm about ready to scrap it but I kind of be slitting my own throat on that. Man it's good to hear from You and The Other Brothers!

Wire them headlights up on their own switch and fuse if you have to.

Don't forget the tail lights.

I agree about working on new stuff.

My 2000 Dakota is likely the newest vehicle I will be able to fix nearly everything on myself.
It seems to have "just the right amount" of electronics and technology to maximize efficiency and reliability without being overly integrated.

My 2015 daily was bought without any "bells or whistles" including a manual transmission, and with the understanding that it could be a "throwaway" if something major happened.
It was also bought with someone else taking the initial 8K depreciation hit, but still under factory warranty for 6 months.

It's coming up on 100K miles (70 of them by me) and six years of service.
I paid 15K, and I think it's fulfilled it's mission.
Any more mileage is a gift.....but I'll take it as long as I can get it.

It never looked that good from the beginning. 3 weeks before Christmas year before last the gal was coming home from a job and someone left turned in front of her but the insurance company Jacked me around for a while. The market for used trucks was pretty shot out. 5-8 grand for a Ram most had about 280,000 miles on em. So we found this lil truck. A handicapped kid with elephantitis sold it to us. Turned out He owned Latina Auto sales. He magically wasn't available all day till dark, and I had to get the rental truck the insurance company gave us back, within a day or two, well the motor has been switched the crank case PCV, it wasn't hooked up right. Damn thing had a leaking rear main seal. And a cracked cylinder head. We've Cruised it from Tampa to Old Town for work, and we've taken it to Big Daddy's museum on the way to Jacksonville, when we had an electrical issue possibly due to the cold for Christmas, got stuck there for 2 days! Christmas and the Eve of. we didn't even make it to give the kids their presents that (sucks we still have them here); All the young and her family will probably have outgrown them by the time we get up there again! Anyhow for all that madness it's been an okay daily driver and now all of a sudden it just went to crap. And I'll never buy that body style Dakota again my '01 sport, even though it wasn't a four-door, with the five-speed and 4.7, ( that trick ripped ! Tons of fun and I still worked the tar outta er) seems like it had more room on the inside of it from left to right you can't even adjust your seats in this thing with the doors closed! Also ain't happy with the gauges..
man I hear ya about the used market . the wife and I have a 97 merc sable sitting in the driveway she says she doesnt want to drive it and I get it its old but its a paid for running car the market now sucks its like why throw away a good car even if its old? hell I think the ac still works LOL! thing is she only has to drive it in the winter and thats if we even leave the hous e in the snow which I personally dont any more unless its an emergency.

Last edited:
-
Back