Help with my dilema?????????????

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
I need opinions/ help. I have a 67 Dart that is orig a auto. Someone installed a 4speed with the hump.I have a auto now and im trying to install the console.I really hate to take out the hump..(in case i go back to standard?)Patch the area.This is what i have...Stock auto shifter and rod also a B&M Zgate shifter..cable.I was thinking with the cable shifter it would make life easier to install. Yes/no? To install the orig. shifter the hump has to come out. It interfeers with placement.Im planning on making my own top plates for the console so altering it for either shifter is no biggy.Taking out the hump? Whats the easiest way without destroying it? Im undecided honestly on which way to go. I know its my car but i need opinions. Alot are going to say Orig. shifter i believe.My car is going to be a daily driver and its not mint..Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 002.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 223
  • 003.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 004.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 220
Morning Eddie! also if anyone has done the column shift to floor shift (318/904) conversion, advice with pics of all kinds would help. I did a conversion column shift to floor shift on a 383/727 combo before but that was 15 years ago. Also there was no 4spd hump in mine that caused issues. I have zero experience with cable shifters too. Chime in, I would like to help Edd out and get this done asap for him.

There really isn't that much to removing it and welding in a new piece; shaping the new piece will be the biggest pain. They are just usually tack welded in, with a bunch of seam sealer used to seal it where there are no welds. I used to go into the junk yards all the time with just a hammer and chissel. I could have them out in no more than an hour. With an air chissel, you could have it out in no time.

If it were me Ed,and I do it to all my cars that have been on the tree shift ,go with the after market shifter you have.So easy to do.Note,if you do the after market shifter pre mock your bucket seat first, sit in it and adjust were your shifter will go you will want a nice grab on it.I have seen some guys just install it and find out they dont like the placement,also your cable leaving from the shifter for the first say 9 inches or so has to be very straight.Not sure what to tell ya on the hump.

I agree mock it up to see what it is going to look like and make sure you are 100 percent happy and love it, if not you will know you need to take it out and do it that way instead. Bottom line make sure you are happy with it you gotta live with it.

I have not done what you are trying to do specifically, but I would remove the 4 speed hump install a patch panel and install the aftermarket shifter. As others have said it should be fairly easy and straight forward. Also as said be sure and mock everything up before you install the shifter.

Save the hump for possible future use.

Why not just leave the hump in and build a small plate to cover the hole.....
They made console 4 speed cars and fitting the console in over the hump would not be a problem, i don`t think.
Then mount the shifter, cut the hole for the cable, and then you`re done.
Easiest way i can think of......

Are you ABSOLUTELY committed to wanting a console? Mine is a console car, and I'd just as soon it was not

If you can "get around" the console, you might find that you can mount an aftermarket shifter ON the 4 speed hump area, after plugging the hole.

Why not just leave the hump in and build a small plate to cover the hole.....
They made console 4 speed cars and fitting the console in over the hump would not be a problem, i don`t think.
Then mount the shifter, cut the hole for the cable, and then you`re done.
Easiest way i can think of......

That is what I did on my Duster. Bolted a B&M Pro-Stick to the 4spd hump and patched the 4 spd opening. I rivoted the patch in place versus welding in case I ever want to put together a 4spd setup. Like the others noted, if you can live without the console, this is very easy and works great. Perhaps you can even fabricate a custom console to work with it?

Pat

Look at it this way- if you ever decide to go back to a manual trans, then you have to remount the hump, change the carpet, redo the console mounts, on and on. It's your car do what makes you happiest, but since you're thinking "someday" on a 4 speed, why not save yourself a lot of work down the road. Just make a plate and mount the shifter on the hump. A little measuring and you could even use the existing screw holes to mount the plate. Have fun! JMHO

I have a 70 with hump, it's not as big as that. I went auto. Set the Hurst 1/4 stick in the tunnel, moved it around; it felt so comfortable, that I bolted it down, and covered the hump. Love the cable, but watch the pinch-weld at the front of the tunnel, had to beat it flat, after costing myself $50 for a new cable.

I have a 70 with hump, it's not as big as that. I went auto. Set the Hurst 1/4 stick in the tunnel, moved it around; it felt so comfortable, that I bolted it down, and covered the hump. Love the cable, but watch the pinch-weld at the front of the tunnel, had to beat it flat, after costing myself $50 for a new cable.
Thats good to know.Thanks

-
Back