HELP with P/S pump ID!!!

-

Treblig

Reaction score
Need some help here trying to ID this P/S pump and brackets. It came with a 67 Barracuda (no engine) I bought for parts. It doesn't look like the P/S pump on my stock '69 318 Barracuda so I know it's not for a '69 318. I plan to sell this pump and brackets because it's no good as a back up for my car.

As usual...Thanks,
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC03595.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC03596.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC03597.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC03598.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC03599.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC03600.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC03601.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC03602.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 189
Saginaw

Brian

Thanks, Brian....
OK Saginaw, but can you tell what the brackets fit. They are totally different from my '69 318 brackets.??? I can't advertise the pump and brackets unless I know what engine/year it fits.

thanks,

treblig

The Saginaw pump and brackets will fit any LA engine. There are issues where they may not fit a particular application due to pulley alignment or other ancilliary devices such as an air pump.

I have one of these on a 318 Demon with A/C and an idler pulley. There are no problems with this fitment.

I suppose as long as the pulley on the pump will line up with a ring on the crankshaft pulley, this pump will work on your 69 Barracuda. IMO, the Saginaw pump is better than the Federal Mogul pump that was also used about the same time. The Saginaw is harder to "beat" when changing course rapidly. The one thing I don't like about the Saginaw pump is the mini-canned ham body is easier to bend than the body on the Federal.

FWIW: Chrysler began using GM pumps as far back as 1965. Here's some background information. http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2006/09/01/hmn_feature34.html

The Saginaw pump and brackets will fit any LA engine. There are issues where they may not fit a particular application due to pulley alignment or other ancilliary devices such as an air pump.

I have one of these on a 318 Demon with A/C and an idler pulley. There are no problems with this fitment.

I suppose as long as the pulley on the pump will line up with a ring on the crankshaft pulley, this pump will work on your 69 Barracuda. IMO, the Saginaw pump is better than the Federal Mogul pump that was also used about the same time. The Saginaw is harder to "beat" when changing course rapidly. The one thing I don't like about the Saginaw pump is the mini-canned ham body is easier to bend than the body on the Federal.

FWIW: Chrysler began using GM pumps as far back as 1965. Here's some background information. http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2006/09/01/hmn_feature34.html

Thanks for the info. So this pump will work on my car even though the brackets fit a different set up. That's good to know, maybe I'll just keep it as a back up and sell the brackets.

treblig

I just sold a set of brackets for a Saginaw pump and cast iron water pump small blocks.
The brackets are a little hard to find, but they do pop up once in a while.

You should keep the brackets as well , that pump might not work with your Federal Mogul pump brackets , they tend to be specific to each other , the main difference being the lower rear mounting point on the Saginaw pump .

You should keep the brackets as well , that pump might not work with your Federal Mogul pump brackets , they tend to be specific to each other , the main difference being the lower rear mounting point on the Saginaw pump .

The brackets on this spare pump are way different than the ones on my '69 Barracuda. They don't look like they would work at all, but then you never know?? I'll have to look at it a little closer because I did compare them and the bracket closest to the block was basically flat on my Cuda where this other one has a major dog leg in the bracket.

treblig

I just sold a set of brackets for a Saginaw pump and cast iron water pump small blocks.
The brackets are a little hard to find, but they do pop up once in a while.

The brackets on the OP's pump are for a later '70 up small block with aluminum water pump or could be for a /6.

They are not the early 70's style for non a/c cars.

I would keep it all as a set , it came off a small block and will go back on a small block , but hey do what you want , the Saginaw pump has different mounting points on the pump itself , mainly the lower stud I mentioned before , the dogleg is for the newer water pump but your federal brackets won't have the mount for the lower stud which is why I would just keep it all together , who knows you may need a new water pump one day and the 70 up aluminum ones are better than the older cast pumps so now you have what you need to make the swap , break up the set and you have nothing .

I would keep it all as a set , it came off a small block and will go back on a small block , but hey do what you want , the Saginaw pump has different mounting points on the pump itself , mainly the lower stud I mentioned before , the dogleg is for the newer water pump but your federal brackets won't have the mount for the lower stud which is why I would just keep it all together , who knows you may need a new water pump one day and the 70 up aluminum ones are better than the older cast pumps so now you have what you need to make the swap , break up the set and you have nothing .

You make a lot of sense cannucky!! I packed the whole thing up today and marked the box (storage container). I don't need to sell it and besides, it will only increase in value over time. I did compare it more closely with my'69 Cuda and it looks very similar but there are some differences. This extra one seems to have a more slender neck where my Cuda pump has a more stocky neck.

Thanks,
Treblig

-
Back