Help with radiator

-

DUSTPAN340

Reaction score
Put in a new radiator from wizard cooling...that's all I changed...same fan and everything else...I put this NEW radiator good to 600 plus horse to keep it cool...well IT don't..sitting at idel it shoots to 230 and once 250..shut it down...what do u all recomend to do to get this thing to cool....driving goes to 180 on a hot humid day driving goes to 220 tops...but in traffic it will hit 250....
this is in a 1970 Duster...electric fan I tried and wont fit the motor hits water pump pully and no room in front for push////what are you guys doing...wizard just keeps asking question and question...don't think they want to help///so I come to who can you guys...

thanks

wayne

have a flex fan and the fan shroud that came with the radiator....tried a staock fan...same thing happened

this is the radiator

Attachments

• 313098_1540980900433_1712250806_777255_712950656_n.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 461
What thermostat are you running? Condition of hoses? Condition and PSI of cap?

Do you have additional after market parts like high flow water pump or under-driven pulleys?

Normally i would say it was an airflow problem but it looks like you may have more going on.

State is 160 and all hoses are brand new and has a a high out put water pump

Attachments

• 17520143-md.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 463
...................put in a 195 t-stat, it will slow the coolant down enough for the rad to cool it.....also drill a 1/8 in hole in it to help bleed the air out of the system....kim.........

I'm running a EFI SIX PACK and they recommend a 160 stat and drilled the three holes in it wish I could run a higher stat but the system says 160

Not sure if this could be it but i had a similar problem and it ended up being the water pump. Even though it was new it was defective the part inside with the fins broke free from the shaft it turned enough to keep temp down while driving but at idle the fins wer not turning enough to keep good flow and keep cool. Repaced it never had another problem. Just a thought

Very nice pics of engine bay, would love to see pics of the rest of the car.
Not much help on rad.

Try another 160 thermostat. I think I've had a a couple of bad ones over the years.

Do you have a lazar heat gun that can show you if the rad is actually cooling ok, are some of the tubes plugged from the factory. Use the heat gun and make sure there is no HOT spots on the rad, where a tube is possible plugged.
Check the coolant temp out of the motor and the coolant temp leaving the rad, is the rad cooling enough, you may have to run the engine a bid to simulate some air flow.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps.

Very nice looking car!!

Another idea along the airflow theme…does the fan sit IN the shroud and not BACK from it? At low rpm that could limit the airflow. If it does, a spacer should be able to get it closer…I don't know how close is too close…just an idea. The high flow water pump crossed my mind as not optimized for low rpm like idle…but I'm no engineer…could also have a problem like Bksgonzo mentioned above. I'm interested in finding out what solves your problem. My 340 always ran hot…I took the thermostat out of it…still would creep up to limits at idle. I'd like it to run cooler. Keep us posted on what you find out! Mark

I put in another 160 stat still over heats
Now I did put in a high volume polished water pump
It could be problem but it run cool at times IF ITS COLD OUTSIDE but then temp comes up if I'm at a idel as I put the car away or just let it sit and idel

check the bottom radiator hose make sure it is not collapsing or is kinked...restricting flow..

I'm running a EFI SIX PACK and they recommend a 160 stat and drilled the three holes in it wish I could run a higher stat but the system says 160

Your system doesn't know or care about it's 160 stat. Open is open. If you are running 210 degrees, a 160, a 180, a 195 would all be open.

I would change the water pump to a standard one. I can't see any reason you would need a high flow unit in there and obviously, it isn't doing anything for your cooling anyway.

I have checked all hoses since last post...another stat....and stills over heats at an idel..checked with fast..they said to stay with ht e160 stat...the system has to warm up for the ECU to read everything,,,,,and for the car to be tuned....just what I was told about changing to a 190 stat...

if it comes to it...scrap the radiator and go with another MFG since I get no help from who built it....funny this is..the way I wanted it to be built with bigger tubes and sme oyher things..they told me three weeks to build...this was a Monday I called in the oder...by Friday I had the radiator....makes me think what I have as well inside the thing....

What is weird is most of your cooling problem is at idle. Why can the rad keep the motor cool when you are driving? It will be interesting to see if a new rad helps. I wonder if you have engine compression leaking into the cooling system. The thing is why is it worse at idle, have you though of a couple of electric fans. It could be not enough air moment at idle.

...................put in a 195 t-stat, it will slow the coolant down enough for the rad to cool it.....also drill a 1/8 in hole in it to help bleed the air out of the system....kim.........

changing the stat will do nothing except delay the water from circulating
If the car was doing the same before the new rad....you either have an internal issue like bad waterpump...head gasket....or both setups were not installed properly.

I use a 6 blade steel fan with clutch,shroud and the fan blades are halt in/out of shroud. A good waterpump and this setup should cool that motor easily. 50/50 water..antifreeze also. I have seen high volume pumps push water too fast thru the rad...but even with a fast pump, the car should be cool running at highway speeds. Most issues are in idle/traffic.

If the car is doing ok down the road...and not in traffic...it is not getting enough air flow thru the rad at traffic speeds.

Have you checked the thermostat to make sure that it is opening. Just put it in a pot of water on the stove and boil it. (don't let the wife see) Make sure that it opens.

Have you checked the thermostat to make sure that it is opening. Just put it in a pot of water on the stove and boil it. (don't let the wife see) Make sure that it opens.

Maybe the shroud is holding back air from flowing thru. Also check your timing,

-
Back