help with vin #

-
I will ask Adam to check into that this week. The guy has done everything I needed and asked for real fast and he is in the Coast Guard up there so I don't think he would do anything illegal . least he doesn't seem that way. I will update this later today when I get the pic of the vin tag on the dash.

I have seen a number of mistakes on titles corresponding with the vin. as long as its clear with the state I don't worry too much about it. my 77 charger was titled and sold as a 76 , even though the vin has a 7 in it. I had a 73 charger that was also missing the plant digit. the fender tag will usually show the complete correct vin.

does it have a fender tag or broadcast sheet? its on there as well. if it has the original drivetrain you might find it on the block / transmission. you are only going to get a partial (sequence #) off the core support and/or package tray area.

spoke to Adam and the vin tag on the dash is correct. it has a B after the 9 so it was made at the Hamtramck plant. That means the title is incorrect. so I am going to see if Michigan does a speed title. if so he can have it inspected and corrected this week. if not, I will get it transferred to me and deal with it down here.

spoke to Adam and the vin tag on the dash is correct. it has a B after the 9 so it was made at the Hamtramck plant. That means the title is incorrect. so I am going to see if Michigan does a speed title. if so he can have it inspected and corrected this week. if not, I will get it transferred to me and deal with it down here.

Don't you just love the inefficiency of tag agencies? How can you do a VIN inspection on a car and not pay attention? As far as I know there was never a 12 digit VIN so their computers should have rejected the 12 digit VIN to start with.

well, I found out that Michigan does not check vehicles coming from out of state with the title to see if they match. so if who ever made the bill of sale in Ga. screwed up, Michigan didn't catch it but you would have thought that the State where the car was made would have some kind of way to tell something was wrong. Adam is going to call DMV Monday and see what can be done. I read somewhere that Michigan can change a title right there on the spot. don't know if that is true or not.

update on the title screw up. I took the car down to the Sheriff's office to get the title checked against the car. I love to bust a cops chops. He climbed up on the trailer and checked the vin, climbed down and told me to take the paper inside and the girls would take care of me. all the time he had this " I am a cop attitude ". I asked him if it checked out all right and he said " Yep, you are good to go it checked out ". I said are you sure. he said " Yep ". I said, " well you better get back up there and do your job again". The look he gave me. I said if you look at the vin tag, you will notice that there is a B after the digit 9. Check the title and it is missing. Then the tone changed. He said well you are right. we will go with whats on the tag. I went over to the court house and told the girl that Michigan made a mistake and left off the B and she told me that could be a problem when it goes to the DMV in Frankfort. Be prepared. I got the title back yesterday and the right vin # is on the title. But they bypassed Michigan altogether. The car was registered in Ga. with the right vin # and then went to Mich. where they left off the B. so now my title shows that the previous title was issued in Ga. instead of Michigan. It is all corrected and all good.

-
Back