Hemi Truck Owners ?

-

hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
I'm looking at an 07 quad cab Dodge 4x4 with the Hemi and I'm looking for real world numbers I can expect for gas mileage plus any other thoughts on this truck ?

Depends on your foot. I usually get 12.5 to 13. I can get 16-17 on the highway if im in the slow lane. Ive had mine for 3 yrs (bought off a contractor i do work for at 2 yrs old). Love the power and quad cab. I can literally melt 2 holes in the pavement. but you dont want to replace the motor $$$$. someone messed with mine in TN while the wife was there during thanksgiving and had to get a crate. Overall great truck with no other problems at 98,000 miles. This is in a 2500 work truck that hauls and tows. so i say good price? go for it. IMHO

I'm looking at an 07 quad cab Dodge 4x4 with the Hemi and I'm looking for real world numbers I can expect for gas mileage plus any other thoughts on this truck ?

I got an 07 quad Hemi. Seems to be a good truck. Got that new motor that drops down in cylinders. Good gas mileage on a long straight haul, but not so good around town. Should give you close to 20 mpg, if you baby it on trip. I think at 75 mph it only revs about 1700 rpm. If you are going to buy one, have a real good look at the front end. Man those front ends are cheap! After 40,000 miles mine needed, ball joints, tie rods, front shocks, etc.

1500 or larger ?

My 04 Hemi quad cab 2500 with 373 gears gets 8mpg around town and about 12 on the high way. Its got about 80,000 and probably needs plugs.

mine is a 2500 4X4 and I get 14 to 15 driving like a normal person should

mine is a 2500 4X4 and I get 14 to 15 driving like a normal person should

What year ? Is it a quad cab ? I cant get that milage out of mine no matter how nice I drive it. But I can week without using the highway so its all ways stop and go.

not to stray you away from this site but a site i really like is
www.dodgetalk.com
alot of people over there too just a suggestion
i have an 03 just getting ready to roll over 100,000 i get around 10 in town

one of my buddies who used to be a dodge tech and now is a big shot at a oil rig lol gets 21 outta his hemi jeep grand cherokee lol. i think its all stock with just tuneing. i dont have proof but believe him

i have an 04 that gets about 14-15 if i dont horse it.awsome power and fun to drive

My kids '04 1500 Quad Cab, 4x2, 3:55 gear. he will get 17-18MPG on the hiway & 13-14MPG in town. When he tows the race car, staying in the TOW/HAUL mode @ 65MPH it will get 12MPG. These numbers are close to or better than my last 1500 with the 5.9 engine. His truck has a 127k on it. This has been a very good truck & plenty of power. My brother-in-law has a 2005 f150, 5.4 engine 4x4, crew cab. a very gutless truck, "NO POWER"! he gets 15MPG hiway & 10-11 in town. we used his truck to tow in a relatives broke down acura ( I didn't think the jap stuff broke down?). It averaged 9MPG towing the dead car back. Now if you need towing & fuel milage, look no further than my 2003 3500 Dodge Quad-Cab, 23MPG hiway & 18MPG towing the race car. What A truck! The problem with the ball-joints, is that a 4x4 thing? My 2003 is a 4x2, it had 5-miles on it when I bought it. It now has 80k on it & I'm just putting my first set of tires on it.

I dont think I have heard of ball joints being a problem on the the Rams. Early Dakotas are know for it.

Problems I have heard are

Spark plugs arent platinum
Cab light leaks
4X4 axle U joints
1500s eat LSD's

My '07 Hemi 4x4 the day I bought it. I love it. What's been said about gas milage has been my experience as well. I get about 14 mpg but it has been as good as 18 on a trip. My daily commute is only 7 miles and the rest is short trips close to home. It seems the longer the trip the better the milage.

newtruckdt.jpeg

What year ? Is it a quad cab ? I cant get that milage out of mine no matter how nice I drive it. But I can week without using the highway so its all ways stop and go.
the truck has a Cold air intake bullydog Tuner(run on mid setting) and Flowmaster Exhaust and I hate the Noise the Air box makes at heavy throttle and by not making that noise I have picked up the mileage
the truck is 2500 Quad cab 4X4 auto and I chart adn check my mileage every time because I use it for buisness

As far as Limited slips we replaced one of them at 140 K miles on my brothers 2003 I run through Front Breaks cant keep them from squeaking I am sure the trailer has a lot to do with that though

oh ya on the 3/4 tons and up the ball joints wear fast. We see them in the shop quite regularly for this concern. One contributing factor is also oversize tires and lift kits, but have seen the stock joints go to crap on stock vehicles as well....

-RPM

All I can say is; you want good gas mileage,don't buy a hemi. They were never known for that. Power on the other hand they unquestionably have.

My 06 hemi quadcab gets around 13 mpg or so. There was a recall on it for ball joints last year. Plenty of power and pulls loads great, but the mileage really SUCKS when towing.....

Interesting thread on Hemi truck mileage. For comparison, the best my '95 2500 Ram V-10 has ever gotten is 14mpg. Towing our 32' 5th wheel nets about 8mpg - but it tows like crazy. Regularly pass Ford and Chevy diesels pulling similar size trailers uphill. Just keep it at max-torque rpm and go!

All I can say is; you want good gas mileage,don't buy a hemi. They were never known for that. Power on the other hand they unquestionably have.

It really doesn't matter what engine you get; the Ram trucks are big, heavy, and not aerodynamic. Hemis are known to get great gas mileage in the LX cars because they don't have to push around as much weight/frontal area.

Gas Milage. Its not enough motor for a Ram. Especially a quad cab 4X4

I have an 05 quad cab hemi and i can pull 14-16 city if i stay off of it. I have a K&N cold air intake, a superchips programmer set to performance 91 octane and a flowmaster. There's a huge discussion over at Dodgetalk.com about using the high performance setting to get better gas mileage. If your going to get an 07 your truck will have "mds" on it. I think my dad gets 13-14 bone stock on his 08 quad cab hemi. We love the power and they both pull my duster nicely. (mines faster then my old mans though) :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

-
Back