Here you go, Piston area and force.

-
Here is the pic that should have gone with post #48.

View attachment 1716271059
Your thumb is not pressing down on the piston is it, it's the pressure psi from the combustion that is, which has a relatively narrow range of psi based on efficiency not displacement, average car to highly efficient race car 1000-1500 psi a Max effort Pro Stock has 1600-1700 psi.

Here is refresher about force v pressure. Same force was applied to each coin, but the end-on coin penetrated further because it more force per area.
Two pistons 4" & 5" diam, 1000 lbs in the chamber. Both pistons have 1000lbs of force applied.
The 4" piston has a pressure loading of 79.6 lb/ sq in; the 5" piston has 51 lb/sq in of loading.
The 'other' theory would be creating energy...where none existed to be created.
Again were talking combustion psi not lbs of force.

Comparing pressure per surface area of a piston might be useful when looking at relative efficiencies of a design. Similar to the way comparing power per cu. in. is used except in this case focusing on one aspect.

One could also work backwords for certain types of piston applications where the goal is to create enough pressure for the piston develop a force great enough to allow the piston to move.

Speak for yourself I already answered the question with the help of my wife.
She said a bigger piston makes more power. some stroke helps. lol

Well then we can close this thread. If the wife says bigger pistons make more power, who are we to argue with her?

I know I’m not arguing…lol

Last edited:
I think there a few here that get it, but not the dummies '273' & Turk. I will post the info AGAIN from Harold Bettes, who does get it. [ Turk read the text, don't look at the pretty pictures ] What does Bettes get? He gets that if you increase piston area, the pressure loading over area [ using pounds per sq in as an example ] becomes less. Pressure has become confused with force.
The formula below, uses simple everyday words, is very simple.....& even the dumbest of the dumbest should be able to 'work it out'.

Totally agree that a bigger diam piston can make more hp. [ So does a longer stroke ]. What pushes the piston to turn the crank? Doesn't do it by itself.......????????????

Making it simple: the piston draws air into the cyl by creating vacuum as it goes from TDC to BDC. If you make the piston BIGGER, you are pulling more air through the same size valve opening, & that creates more vacuum..........so more air has now filled the cylinder. More hp is created because more air is drawn in to be compressed. A bigger diam piston does not guarantee more HP by virtue of it's area. Chrysler proved it!!! They made an odd ball 383 engine that was a raised block engine, not the more common low block 383. Not used by Dodge & Plym, Chrys only 1959 to 1961.
Bore/stroke RB 383: 4 1/32 by 3.75
Bore/stroke LB 383 4 1/4 by 3.38
Both engines had 10:1 CR. Both made exactly the same hp/tq: 325/425. But, but, but, but LB 383 had a bigger piston....shoulda made more hp. Huh?

Here is the formula again for HP related to piston area:
Unless you are particularly dumb, it should be obvious that the HP/to area gets less as piston area gets bigger because piston area is on the bottom line of the formula

View attachment 1716271050

If you are going to quote a book, you should actually READ the book first and then go back and look at the pictures.

Like people of your type do, you jumped ahead in the book and didn’t READ what he said BEFORE he posted the formula that explains what he’s talking about.

The fact that you continue to do your usual bullshit shows you refuse to learn. Or even admit you are dead wrong.

Your arrogance is appalling. You take things out of context. You make baseless claims and then vomit out a bunch of irrelevant **** that takes 1000 times more work to refute than it does to promote the errror.

Want an example of what clowns like you do? You say “the moon is made of cheese, prove it’s not”.

To refute that with PROOF requires an immense effort and when you are done proving it, the pole cat making the claim still argues the error.

Same for the flat earth types. No proof can move them.

You are THAT guy.

Bewy, hint, to prove us wrong, All you have to prove is for same displacement the bigger piston engine generally has less psi and less psi generally by the percentage difference between the piston area. And not by some old science book but actual examples of automotive engineers or text saying it.

In the 383 B vs RB, 4.25" vs 4.03" that would be like 1000 vs 1100 psi which is a fairly big difference especially when a 1000 psi is considered average car and 1500 psi decent race engine and 1600/1700 psi is Pro Stock.

If that was the case any engine class with a cubic inch rule, they would probably run severely under square engines to make 100's of extra psi.

If you can provide real proof of this average psi loss and not some dog turd and a garden hose I'd listen to you, anything short of that you ain't proving anything wrong.

But if it is reasonable that both engines can make similar psi then you are wrong, and if a 1000 psi is considered around what the average passenger car engine makes from a 1l to 7l + no matter there bore and stroke ratios I don't think your gonna find such proof.

I think there a few here that get it, but not the dummies '273' & Turk. I will post the info AGAIN from Harold Bettes, who does get it. [ Turk read the text, don't look at the pretty pictures ] What does Bettes get? He gets that if you increase piston area, the pressure loading over area [ using pounds per sq in as an example ] becomes less. Pressure has become confused with force.
The formula below, uses simple everyday words, is very simple.....& even the dumbest of the dumbest should be able to 'work it out'.

Totally agree that a bigger diam piston can make more hp. [ So does a longer stroke ]. What pushes the piston to turn the crank? Doesn't do it by itself.......????????????

Making it simple: the piston draws air into the cyl by creating vacuum as it goes from TDC to BDC. If you make the piston BIGGER, you are pulling more air through the same size valve opening, & that creates more vacuum..........so more air has now filled the cylinder. More hp is created because more air is drawn in to be compressed. A bigger diam piston does not guarantee more HP by virtue of it's area. Chrysler proved it!!! They made an odd ball 383 engine that was a raised block engine, not the more common low block 383. Not used by Dodge & Plym, Chrys only 1959 to 1961.
Bore/stroke RB 383: 4 1/32 by 3.75
Bore/stroke LB 383 4 1/4 by 3.38
Both engines had 10:1 CR. Both made exactly the same hp/tq: 325/425. But, but, but, but LB 383 had a bigger piston....shoulda made more hp. Huh?

Here is the formula again for HP related to piston area:
Unless you are particularly dumb, it should be obvious that the HP/to area gets less as piston area gets bigger because piston area is on the bottom line of the formula

View attachment 1716271050

I advise you to take a thermodynamics class and get back to us.
Don't sweat it dude. We all know when someone resorts to name calling and insults, their position is very weak. I'm just blown away this argument is still ongoing. It just makes not one single bit of difference in the outcome.

Isn't he the guy that you were taking advice from on port timing awhile back?
OK,
I apologise for using the word dummies.
This 'discussion' started because 273 claimed that more piston area gave more hp by virtue of the piston area increase. It only does this IF more air is drawn into the cyl; if no more air was drawn into the cyl, then the HP would not change, all else being equal.

THIS FORMULA SPECIFICALLY ADDRESSES EXACTLY WHAT IS BEING DISCUSSED. What do you not understand about Power per piston area???

I also advise you to walk away. You're not conveying your position well, and even if you were, do you really think that anyone is reading all that?
I post mega-tech posts too, but I don't expect a single sole to read the silly things.

I also advise you to walk away. You're not conveying your position well, and even if you were, do you really think that anyone is reading all that?
I post mega-tech posts too, but I don't expect a single sole to read the silly things.

Just for posterity who may come along later, here is what Harold Bettes said about piston area. And like Bewy says, he KNOWS what he’s talking about until someone makes claims he never did.

Right out of his book, long before he added the part Bewy posted. You can read it for yourselves.

IMG_1012.jpeg

Sorry it’s going the wrong direction.

Look at what Harold really said.

“In general, power is proportional to piston area”.

Ok, what did he really say? He’s saying that as a general rule, a bigger piston makes more power.

Then to clarify and solidify his point, he next says “Try to REMEMBER that power IS proportional to piston area”

So power IS proportional to piston area. That means a bigger piston, with more area will make more power.

He even went to the effort to say try and remember. Evidently some don’t try and some do try to remember and still don’t.

Others just don’t give a **** if they are wrong, they just put their head down and continue bullsquirting around.

And if it was not proportional he would have said piston area is the INVERSE making power.

That’s not what he says. It’s not what the math says. It’s not what the real world says.

Just for posterity who may come along later, here is what Harold Bettes said about piston area. And like Bewy says, he KNOWS what he’s talking about until someone makes claims he never did.

Right out of his book, long before he added the part Bewy posted. You can read it for yourselves.

View attachment 1716271234

Ok, what did he really say? He’s saying that as a general rule, a bigger piston makes more power.

Then to clarify and solidify his point, he next says “Try to REMEMBER that power IS proportional to piston area”

So power IS proportional to piston area. That means a bigger piston, with more area will make more power.

He even went to the effort to say try and remember. Evidently some don’t try and some do try to remember and still don’t.

Others just don’t give a **** if they are wrong, they just put their head down and continue bullsquirting around.

And if it was not proportional he would have said piston area is the INVERSE making power.

That’s not what he says. It’s not what the math says. It’s not what the real world says.
What you are saying is pretty much true for all. A simple porta power...bigger cylinder more force. It's all about the math and the physics.

View attachment 1716271234

I'm not arguing the internal combustion merits of the discussion at all. I see some people here using very general guidelines without including any of the additional constraints that really should be included.

There's no replacement for displacement. I don't need to cite a book to prove that.

Well, it wasn't "just" him, but yes. I try to have an open mind about trying new things and this one happened to work.

Bore size is one of the ultimate main limiting factors to hp but for most were not making enough hp to overly worry about it, most aren't even pushing what a 318 bore is capable of and really a 360 bore is less than 3% bigger than a 318 bore and a 340 bore is slightly more than 3% compared to a 318, even a 273 bore should be able to handle 400 or so hp without crazy work. For most bore size ain't a huge issue, making power at an reasonable rpm for that person is probably a more pressing issue for most which usually mean a higher power to cid ratio aka no replacement for displacement.

Last edited:
Bore size is one of the ultimate main limiting factor to hp but for most were not making enough hp to overly worry about it, most aren't even pushing what a 318 bore is capable of and really a 360 bore is less than 3% bigger than a 318 bore and a 340 bore is slightly more than 3% compared to a 318, even a 273 bore should be able to handle 400 or so hp without crazy work. For most bore size ain't a huge issue, making power at an reasonable rpm for that person is probably a more pressing issue for most which usually mean a higher power to cid ratio aka no replacement for displacement.

Right. And we need to define “reasonable RPM” up some.

It’s 2024 and a decent street/strip engine should hit 7k with no issues.

Yeah, diminishing the pocketbook. lol
yea that, but you won't find many 500 ci big blocks competing with a Brett Miller prepped 422 or 440 W8 engine. The gains on the big block have diminished to a point they can't compete

yea that, but you won't find many 500 ci big blocks competing with a Brett Miller prepped 422 or 440 W8 engine. The gains on the big block have diminished to a point they can't compete
If someone would make a W2 style head for the big block, that would level the playing field.

-
Back