HERE'S A NEW ONE!!!!!!

-

Treblig

Reaction score
I took my '69 Barracuda to an Exxon to get my annual TEXAS State inspection just like I've done for the last 4 years. They said that they couldn't inspect my car because all the tires and wheels were not the same size (I have wider tires and rims on the back).....WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I told the guy that they had inspected my car every year for the last 4 years with the same tires and wheels on it. He said that the state inspector had come by and told them that all the wheels and tires on any car had to be the same (width/height). I told him that he was crazy!!! He said that it wasn't his fault it was the State Inspector's fault. I told the guy, "Well you're going to have a hell of a problem". He said, "Why, all we have to do is follow the rules". I said, "Well..... the next time a 2015/2016 Viper or Corvette come in here for inspection the owners are going to "flip out" because both those cars came from the factory with larger tires and rims on the back (Just like my car I told him)". I told him, "In fact, Vipers came with 19 inch rims on the back and 18 in front, my car has 15s all the way around!!!" I don't think those new car owners are going to go buy new "rear" rims and tires just to please a particular State Inspector.
After I told the guy about the Vipers and Corvettes he really didn't have an answer. I left and drove to the next nearest inspection station and got my inspection with no trouble at all. In fact, I got lots of compliments on my car. I came straight home and googled 2016 Texas state inspection rules/criteria and guess what.........there's no mention about the height or width of tires or rims.

Now I need to figure out a way to "burn" that Exxon station and by "burn" I don't mean fire, I mean "embarrass/humiliate". I know they're wrong but I'm not sure on how to go about making them follow the "real", "official" inspection rules.

treblig

Last edited:
I dealt with my usual place saying no this year because the exhaust is too low... nothing anywhere on the books speaks to exhaust height - yea, I was pissed off at them, but oh well... in the long run, their loss. You got your sticker, they're not worth your time.

I wasn't aware that you had to have them inspected after so many years

Maybe he was looking for Mr. Jackson or Mr. Grant to show up?

I just checked north Carolina law states that if a car is 35 years old the inspection is not required. Unless you are bringing it in from out of state or putting it on the road as a new owner

I just checked north Carolina law states that if a car is 35 years old the inspection is not required. Unless you are bringing it in from out of state or putting it on the road as a new owner
which is kinda jacked really - it's the older ones then are more likely to be ignored and be dangerous -- obviously not the nicely kept or restored stuff, the beaters and rust buckets are what I am referring to

You don't see very many beaters around here. Most of the older ones have been restored and well taken care of

Maybe he was looking for Mr. Jackson or Mr. Grant to show up?

Now that makes some sense!! He was barking up the wrong tree. If I owned a Viper I'd take it over there for inspection just to see what they would do. I know they would inspect it and it would pass with no problems, then I'd rub it in his face!!!!.

treblig

Well.....that's ONE good thing about California....
Zero inspection - Zero smog.....do as I please if it's 1975 or older.

Jeff

also thought the AAR Cuda and T/A challenger also had different size tires front and back?

I'm sure that many cars have been produced with different size tires front and back. What the guy at Exxon said was/is ridiculous!!!. It just pisses me off that he would make such a stupid statement without being able to back it up.

treblig

Here in Arizona... If you see an old beater... You know it's taken care of... Else it would not be here!!!!!⚓

These states are half backwards. These people are worried about a few cars that are classics that are driven sanely.
Thanks AL gore you frump.

At 300,000 miles plus... Tell me this car is Not taken care of..???⚓

Angry_Fish_B.jpg

Last edited:
I would politely ask him to show you the regulation and let him know your time is worth $300 per hour.

It just pisses me off that he would make such a stupid statement without being able to back it up.

Why are you getting so worked up about it? You got your sticker somewhere else, next time go where they'll pass it and be done with it.

I've found the chain muffler places or those who offer bargain inspections are most likely to find something bogus to fail you on. Here in N.H. on a pickup if the exhaust exits past the cab (and there's no cap) it's legal. Got failed once for it, mentioned the law to the "service" manager, he basically said tough cookies, there's nothing saying they can't set stricter standards than the state. I knew arguing wouldn't get me anywhere so I cobbed together something to exit the exhaust out the side, then just took it off once I'd gotten the sticker. Lesson learned.

Well.....that's ONE good thing about California....
Zero inspection - Zero smog.....do as I please if it's 1975 or older.

Jeff
That is about the ONLY good thing we have here. Also on this weird stuff why do people who are not law enforcement think that they must be the ones who enforce laws? JEGS has refused to ship me stuff, when Summit had no problem shipping it. If I remember right, it was a carb spacer. That's why I shop everywhere except the place that has that stupid attitude.

I took my '69 Barracuda to an Exxon to get my annual TEXAS State inspection just like I've done for the last 4 years. They said that they couldn't inspect my car because all the tires and wheels were not the same size (I have wider tires and rims on the back).....WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I told the guy that they had inspected my car every year for the last 4 years with the same tires and wheels on it. He said that the state inspector had come by and told them that all the wheels and tires on any car had to be the same (width/height). I told him that he was crazy!!! He said that it wasn't his fault it was the State Inspector's fault. I told the guy, "Well you're going to have a hell of a problem". He said, "Why, all we have to do is follow the rules". I said, "Well..... the next time a 2015/2016 Viper or Corvette come in here for inspection the owners are going to "flip out" because both those cars came from the factory with larger tires and rims on the back (Just like my car I told him)". I told him, "In fact, Vipers came with 19 inch rims on the back and 18 in front, my car has 15s all the way around!!!" I don't think those new car owners are going to go buy new "rear" rims and tires just to please a particular State Inspector.
After I told the guy about the Vipers and Corvettes he really didn't have an answer. I left and drove to the next nearest inspection station and got my inspection with no trouble at all. In fact, I got lots of compliments on my car. I came straight home and googled 2016 Texas state inspection rules/criteria and guess what.........there's no mention about the height or width of tires or rims.

Now I need to figure out a way to "burn" that Exxon station and by "burn" I don't mean fire, I mean "embarrass/humiliate". I know they're wrong but I'm not sure on how to go about making them follow the "real", "official" inspection rules.

treblig
you call the local hwy patrol inspection office. they will go visit them and find out whats going on. I deal with this on a daily basis. If someone contests your inspection they go to them.

you call the local hwy patrol inspection office. they will go visit them and find out whats going on. I deal with this on a daily basis. If someone contests your inspection they go to them.

Now that's not a bad idea, especially if I take the pages I've printed out on the factory equipment tires and wheels that come on the Viper/Corvette.

treblig

-
Back