Hi Def Tv's

-
My last tv - Toshiba 55" rear projection cost me $3000 eleven years ago. For that kind of change you would hope it would have lasted alot longer than that.

I've been doing more searching online in my local stores and found a Toshiba 55" LCD 1080p 120hz for $999. There's also an LG with similar specs for $999 as well. The cheapest Samsung I found in the same size and specs is $1199.

If I step down to 50" 1080p Plasma - LG, Samsung and Toshiba all have sets between $799 to $999.

From what "I" see in the stores, I really like the picture quality of the Samsung tv's the best, but they all look great. I don't want to sink alot of coin into a set right now because I'm sure something else really big will come out in a few more years. Maybe like watching a hologram in the middle of my living room. lol

Wylde1.

I have what was (for it's day) a high end Panasonic 50" plasma that's about 5 years old now. It's starting to display some large yellow patches on either side of the screen when certain shades of white are part of the main picture. I mostly see this happening when using the PS3, but I'm starting to see it with the normal satellite signal now too. We'll see how much longer it lasts.

- Don

When I bought an HD TV and a Blu-Ray player, I bought the Blu-Ray version of the movie Bullitt.
I already had the DVD, and knowing the film was over 40 years old, I didn't expect a noticable difference in the Blu-ray version. I was dead wrong. For the first time I noticed that the 68 Charger was bright blue underneath all that black paint. For the first time I could identify almost every car in even the most distant background. And I had never before noticed the spent shell casings bouncing off the pavement when the passenger in the Charger was shooting at McQueen in the Mustang. What a difference!!!
But now, not quite two years later, every time I walk into Cosco, I am drawn to the 3-D TV display with 3D Blu-Ray player. Maybe its the demo disc that plays the womens beach volleyball in 3D, or maybe the realistic way it appears that you're right there in the action (probably the womens beach volleyball thing), but I'm really wanting the 3 D set up. Once a few networks start broadcasting in 3D (ESPN is rumored to be one of the first), I may not be able to restrain myself from buying a 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray.

Superbowl broadcasted on full 3D on a Sony led LCD 240hz 60" 3D tv= GAME ON!!!!!!!!

I produce films/videos for a living and love my Panasonic plasma. Beats the pants off of LCD in ways very discernable to my eye. Beyond a certain (relatively normal) viewing distance you will not see any difference between 720 and 1080 displays. 1080i is currently the broadcast format with the most stations. NBC, CBS, PBS, and cable stations like TBS and InHD are all 1080i. 720p is the format used by FOX, ABC, and ESPN. So, if you have a 1080 display, some material is being uprezzed anyway.

Both LCD and Plasma have a life span rated in hours.

Each technology (including LED) has it's own pros and cons. You'll get a bazillion opinions on which is best but you need to do your own research and then decide what is most important to you.

I just bought a Samsung LCD LED 46" for a grand. The picture is amazing.

Plasma TV's are falling out of market since the picture of the LCD/LED models is gaining.

I'd suggest a run to Best Buy, to look at the differences in person.

Riddler

Education needed... " unprezzed" ?

Thx!.

Upres = 'up' the 'resolution'. They're enlarging the 1280 x 720 pixels (dots that make up the picture) to fill a 1920 x 1080 pixel display. Generally, when you start enlarging pixels the picture turns to crap. They use sophisticated hardware/algorithms to maintain picture quality when it's blown up or uprezzed from a lower spatial resolution to higher resolution.

Sometimes you'll see a broadcaster not upres a TV commercial and it appears on your HD TV in a smaller box.

IM considering this tv: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GDHI12/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1GW2935KSDDFT5ANGQ4E&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: VIZIO XVT553SV 55-Inch Class Full Array TruLED with Smart Dimming LCD HDTV 240 Hz SPS with VIZIO Internet Apps: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4193H6nhckL.@@AMEPARAM@@4193H6nhckL[/ame]

Well.... I bought NOTHING!!!!!! ....... yet.

I went back to the local Stereo shop where I had bought my Toshiba rear projection tv 11 years ago and wanted to see what they had in a smaller 50" model. At this point I just don't care anymore if its LCD, LED or Plasma. This place mainly sells Panasonic and Samsung with a couple of the better Toshiba and Sharp models thrown in. They lean more towards the high end of things and they prefer Plasma tv's.

So my sales guy shows me a 50" Panasonic plasma 1080p that lists for $1100 and he'll sell it to me for $799. On their display wall it stands out for one rason - the colours don't *pop* like the other Panasonic sets. They were all plasma btw. He tells me that it's not a high end set like the other models. The 50" Panasonic plasma below it looks awesome but it lists for $1399 and no sale price.

Then I keep looking at the Samsung 58" plasma 1080p that I saw last Sunday. He's taking orders on it and they'll be in stock by Jan 15th. It'll set me back $1499. It lists for $1999. Way more than I want to pay, but I know I won't be happy if I settle for a 50" tv. I let it ride and tell him I might be back on Sunday to see if he has any left of the 50 that he has on order.

I go back home and look at the Best Buy website to see what their price is on the 58" Samsung. They list it for $1799 and there's no special "sale" price. However they do have a price match guarantee. If you can find a lower price they'll match it and give you another 10% off. Sales dude at Best Buy wants to see a flyer or a price on the web. I tell him to just call the Stereo shop and ask what they're selling this tv for. Sales dude refuses saying what I have is a "quote" that I haggled over. He doesn't believe that that's the walk-in sale price.

Here's the tv on the BB website. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=38d6baeb50aed9ee425e803bb16eebacen02 if it asks for a postal code, enter K1Z8H4

Anyone ever deal with BB on a price match?

Wylde1.

FWIW, it helps if the display has been properly set up and calibrated. They're not necessarily correct out of the box and there's no telling what controls someone has futzed with in a showroom. In fact, they're usually screwed up.

Wylde the local paper just printed an tech article confirming what I have said here in the past Plasma Rules Period , the older sets had burn in problems because of the slower refresh rates they had but the newer sets refresh at 600hz which is way faster than the best lcd/led sets , plasma can be viewed from all angles where lcd/led loses focus and clarity as you go to the side angles , yes they are better in a bright /direct sunlight situation but who puts their set facing the sun , the lcd/led sets are backlit try asking the salesman for a replacement bulb for the lcd your looking at buying and he will probably gibe you a blank look in return , Neither set type will last forever or even as long as an old analogue set but good luck finding a replacement bulb 5 years from now ,never mind getting it at a price that makes changing it cost effective compared to the price of a new set , There is only 2 companies actually making new Plasma sets so pick the one you like at the price that works best for you and enjoy watching the Sens lose like you've never seen before

When I bought an HD TV and a Blu-Ray player, I bought the Blu-Ray version of the movie Bullitt.
I already had the DVD, and knowing the film was over 40 years old, I didn't expect a noticable difference in the Blu-ray version. I was dead wrong. For the first time I noticed that the 68 Charger was bright blue underneath all that black paint. For the first time I could identify almost every car in even the most distant background. And I had never before noticed the spent shell casings bouncing off the pavement when the passenger in the Charger was shooting at McQueen in the Mustang. What a difference!!!

I just bought the Bullitt blue ray disc today. $14.99 at Best Buy. Now I just need a blue ray player and a dang tv!

Wylde1.

Awwwwwwwwww man you KILL me. lol :toothy10:

We Leaf fans are nothing if not relentless lol , hope we kill you tomorrow night ,as someone else pointed out make sure you get the HDMI hook-up then you can get a good graphics card for your computer and FABO in HD

Education needed... " unprezzed" ?

Thx!.
Sorry folks UPrezzed !!!

Upres = 'up' the 'resolution'. They're enlarging the 1280 x 720 pixels (dots that make up the picture) to fill a 1920 x 1080 pixel display. Generally, when you start enlarging pixels the picture turns to crap. They use sophisticated hardware/algorithms to maintain picture quality when it's blown up or uprezzed from a lower spatial resolution to higher resolution.

Sometimes you'll see a broadcaster not upres a TV commercial and it appears on your HD TV in a smaller box.

Wow!!
If I interpret this correctly, Viewing device tech is already far advanced
(by design or otherwise) of signal provider!!

THX for the info!!!

-
Back