Hidden Vin #'s

-
Dart and Scamps generally do not have a vin stamped in the package tray area. That's a Demon, Duster and Dart Sport location.

On a Dart at the rear of the car, trunk lip, pass side about where the bumblebee stripe would be if it had one. Usually you have to pull up the weatherstrip.

Dart and Scamps generally do not have a vin stamped in the package tray area. That's a Demon, Duster and Dart Sport location.

On a Dart at the rear of the car, trunk lip, pass side about where the bumblebee stripe would be if it had one. Usually you have to pull up the weatherstrip.

I've got to disagree with you on the Dart Sport, mine (73 Dart 340 Sport) was on the underside of trunk drip rail. Now, and this won't help the OP, but my thought was that it could be the year that changed the location (package tray versus trunk rail). Anyway, good info.

My '75 318 Valiant had "4 cylinder" on the title...

Last one... I wonder if the different location for VIN is based on assembly plant? My 72 Demon (package tray location) and 73 Dart 340 Sport (trunk rail) were both built at Hamtramack. Just a thought.

It's no big deal for me to pull up the weatherstrip on passenger side. What if it was Made in Canada?

do you have a build sheet
No build sheet either. This car was a Dragster converted back to street & the interior was completely stripped and then put back together. I guess the build sheet is long gone. FWIW, It's perfectly straight and runs down the road like a dream.

that was a drag car? wow , i never would have guessed, great job putting her back in stock trim.
Thanks, A lot of the work was done when I got it. In fact he was using it as a DD but it was totally unsafe. Tires, Brakes, front end etc... It's getting close to being done but I'm sure it will always be a work in progress.

if your anything like me, you will always find yourself wanting to do more to it, unless you find another project lol im really bad with wheels and tires, that seems to be a weekly thing ...

if your anything like me, you will always find yourself wanting to do more to it, unless you find another project lol im really bad with wheels and tires, that seems to be a weekly thing ...
Too true. Right now, I need to still fix some things. Very Small trans leak(Pump seal), Left lower Ball joint(Boot torn), Broken header bolt, 2 small cracks on Dash pad and a few other minor things. Unemployment check only goes so far.

Too true. Right now, I need to still fix some things. Very Small trans leak(Pump seal), Left lower Ball joint(Boot torn), Broken header bolt, 2 small cracks on Dash pad and a few other minor things. Unemployment check only goes so far.

hehe i feel that pain for sure , im on UI myself, very limited budget. a little at a time. hopefully that will be changing soon lol

hehe i feel that pain for sure , im on UI myself, very limited budget. a little at a time. hopefully that will be changing soon lol
Same here, I'm trying to find something besides OTR Trucking but the pickins are slim.

Bingo! My car is a '73 not a 74. Now I have the giant task of getting the title corrected. I'm Kind of bummed because there were a whole lot more '73's produced than '74's.

Im guessing you found out the vins dont match? I would leave that can of worms alone. What happens when they want to know where the paper work is to the other car?

Im guessing you found out the vins dont match? I would leave that can of worms alone. What happens when they want to know where the paper work is to the other car?
I have already done a title search on the other VIN. Last title was over 11 years ago. The state issued me a stack of paperwork including notarized Title certification. I am in the process of trying to figure out just how big the can of worms will be. I do want it to all be correct if possible.

Bingo! My car is a '73 not a 74. Now I have the giant task of getting the title corrected. I'm Kind of bummed because there were a whole lot more '73's produced than '74's.

You just made yourself a problem. There is a possibility that the car may have a junk title, could be stolen or simply someone short cut getting a title. The problem is that changing the VIN is illegal period. The car with all the money and hard work in to may leave on the back of a tow truck.

You just made yourself a problem. There is a possibility that the car may have a junk title, could be stolen or simply someone short cut getting a title. The problem is that changing the VIN is illegal period. The car with all the money and hard work in to may leave on the back of a tow truck.
I doubt it'll come to that. But it is what it is. Like I said above, I have the title matching the dash Vin Plus a Notarized Title search on the other Vin which goes cold over 11 years ago.

I doubt it'll come to that. But it is what it is. Like I said above, I have the title matching the dash Vin Plus a Notarized Title search on the other Vin which goes cold over 11 years ago.

You most likely wont loose the car, but it could cost you alot of time and just maybe alot a coin to get it straightend out? As long as your gettin' tags and insurance for it i would just enjoy the car and worry about when or if you want to sell. I comend you for doing the right thing, just don't want to see you get the short end of the stick.

You most likely wont loose the car, but it could cost you alot of time and just maybe alot a coin to get it straightend out? As long as your gettin' tags and insurance for it i would just enjoy the car and worry about when or if you want to sell. I comend you for doing the right thing, just don't want to see you get the short end of the stick.
Thanks Buddy!:) If DMV can't help me with out too much Hassle, I may just let it ride for now but I'm going to try my best to get it squared away. I got plenty of time on my hands right now and Don't mind A couple hundred $$. The Bond issue is what scares me the most. I've heard as much as 10%. When I originally requested the title search I was told I may be able to just do a title correction depending on What the search revealed. Tomorrow, I find out my options :thumbup:

-
Back