Holley carb issue?

-

GoldDuster340

Reaction score
Hmm not sure whats the cause may be some of you know?
I can easily fire my engine up it runs for a 30 seconds or so and sounds good then dies then will not start again untill I manually pump the the throttle linkage on the carb and again it will fire right up? if I try to keep it going it bogs and stalls.
I replaced carb intake gasket thinking maybe vacuum leak? and checked that all vacuum lines not being used are pluged up there is plenty of fuel from fuel pump i can see it in the clear filter i used and out of the squirters on the holley 600 mechanical dbl pumper.
I wish i had another carb to use but unfortunately i don't.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

if it won't start again, unless you pump the gas, it sounds like it is running out of fuel. Was this carb new to you or have you had it on an engine and had it running? It does almost sound like there is a vacuum leak, some Holley's have a vacuum port on the pass side under the front float bowl. Also, dis you check the screw in the bottom of the carb that hold the main body onto the base plate? They can come loose and cause vacuum leaks.

Start with the basics like mentioned.

Adjust the floats.

Remove the idle screws and spray out the holes with carb cleaner.

Reinstall and bottom out the idle screws then back them out 1 1/2 turns.

Hit every hole and air bleed with a spray carb cleaner.

99% of the time this has worked for me.

if it won't start again, unless you pump the gas, it sounds like it is running out of fuel. Was this carb new to you or have you had it on an engine and had it running? It does almost sound like there is a vacuum leak, some Holley's have a vacuum port on the pass side under the front float bowl. Also, dis you check the screw in the bottom of the carb that hold the main body onto the base plate? They can come loose and cause vacuum leaks.

this is a brand new out of the box holley 600 dbl pumper mechanical secondaries manual choke carb.
the vacuum line under front bowl came plugged and i left it that way.
Not sure what screw you mean but i went over the whole carb and made sure everything was snug.

What is your fuel pressure?
Have you checked your floats?

I did not check fuel pressur, I do know its getting plenty of fuel i can see it out of the squirters fine and in the in fuel filter.

I checked the site holes for the floats and followed holley instructions etc it should just trickle out when site is removed and that exactly what its set at?

Start with the basics like mentioned.

Adjust the floats.

Remove the idle screws and spray out the holes with carb cleaner.

Reinstall and bottom out the idle screws then back them out 1 1/2 turns.

Hit every hole and air bleed with a spray carb cleaner.

99% of the time this has worked for me.

Yes exactly what friend said good advice, so i did that made sure all was clean.
Im thinking it may be bad out of the box I have put on holleys before and right out of the box hardly touched them and worked great for years!

this is a brand new out of the box holley 600 dbl pumper mechanical secondaries manual choke carb.
the vacuum line under front bowl came plugged and i left it that way.
Not sure what screw you mean but i went over the whole carb and made sure everything was snug.

If you snugged the idle mixture screws it won't run.

photo_holley_idle_mix_screw.jpg

has me a bit baffled i may take it to a local shop and have them flow test it I hope there is nothing wrong with it since the 90 warranty from holley is up :-(

I recently had an issue with my car bogging down and stalling. First, check your plugs, they can give you alot of information. Your car is delivering all the necessary things ie fuel, air, spark... but you are not able to sustain the mixture of these elements in a way that will sustain life. One way to figure out what is amiss is by looking at your plugs. Are they fouled? If so what has fouled them?
If there is a fuel foul you might want to install a fuel pressure gauge. See if your pressure is high, that is what my issue was. There is a huge possibility that your idle screws aren't set properly, "out of the box" means it is set to a stock situation, not set to your car. You are going to need to set up this carb for your car. My recent discovery was that the instructions included with Holley products are not as thorough as they used to be. There is a book called Super Tuning and Modifying Holley Carburetors by Dave Emanuel. It has a wealth of information on how these carbs work and you really would be doing yourself a favor by getting a copy. These books can be found at Advanced Auto and AutoZone. The Holley website is also filled with additional info on these carbs.
Other than that, I would say that you should probably gather as much info as you can on what you are experiencing. RPMs at idle, vacuum....
Why did you place a new carb on this engine? Was the engine running ok before you replaced the carb?

-
Back