Holley Tuning Question

-

71Demon340

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Holley 1050 3-barrel that I am using on a 416 stroker. This carb is supposed to be the same design as a 4150. Would like suggestions for jet sizing. Also, how do you adjust fuel delivery on the rear (third barrel) as it doesn't have jets, but only a metering plate (from what I can tell & what I've been told). This is my first vehicle with a carb, so excuse my ignorance. Thanks.

Engine Specs
416 cu in
10.3:1 comp
cast iron j-heads, 2.02/1.60, mildly ported, valve job
edelbrock tarantula intake (TM5 ?)
240/246 @ .050, .507/.510 lift, 110 LSA
727, 3200 stall, 3.55 gears

Man, I haven't seen a 3 barrel in ages.

If it has a metering plate, it is a 4160 series carb and the fuel flow cannot be adjusted without drilling it and I do not suggest it.

I would start with 72's in the primary metering block and work from there. I would also suggest getting a metering block conversion kit or dumping that carb altogether.

Man, I haven't seen a 3 barrel in ages.

If it has a metering plate, it is a 4160 series carb and the fuel flow cannot be adjusted without drilling it and I do not suggest it.

I would start with 72's in the primary metering block and work from there. I would also suggest getting a metering block conversion kit or dumping that carb altogether.

I'm only using this carb temporarily. Does the metering blk conv kit replace the metering plate on the rear and allow for use of jets? Thanks for the input.

A metering block conversion WILL NOT WORK ON A 3 BARREL HOLLEY! If it is a 1050 it will have dump tubes in the secondaries a 950 have dog leg boosters, ether way holley moved the tubes and boosters inboard about a 1/4 inch on both sides and they moved the air bleeds too. There is a special plate and gasket for them too( hard too find ) and the secondary diaphragm is like the ones on 6packs but the metal stem is about a 1/2 inch longer. I made my own with epoxy and a dremel tool.

A metering block conversion WILL NOT WORK ON A 3 BARREL HOLLEY! If it is a 1050 it will have dump tubes in the secondaries a 950 have dog leg boosters, ether way holley moved the tubes and boosters inboard about a 1/4 inch on both sides and they moved the air bleeds too. There is a special plate and gasket for them too( hard too find ) and the secondary diaphragm is like the ones on 6packs but the metal stem is about a 1/2 inch longer. I made my own with epoxy and a dremel tool.

Excellent information 19DART66! I haven't seen one of these since the late eighties and never had the secondary bowl off.

i seen alot of this carbs back in the late 70s and 80s on dirt track cars i was under the inpresion that thay were made for drit tacking were thay were ether at idel or wide open..??

I've read they were devloped for W.O.T. applications, not just dirt track, more so big track NASCAR.
Carter had a version as well.

I have heard the same thing about this carb being for circle track racing. My dad bought this carb probably in the mid 70's. Not sure why he picked it. I will most likely replace it. Just want to get the car running and I've already got it, so might as well try it. Besides, got plenty of other items I still need to buy!!

19dart66 is right on. I have one of each of those carbs and neither is really useable. They are conversation pieces. Back when we raced the D/MP record holder Granny Goose Camaro, we won one of these just about every weekend. We gave them away to people who had done us favors. The only car I ever saw run well with one was a Camaro out of Baldwin Chevrolet. I was told Bill Jenkins threw one in a dumpster! Do yourself a favor and get a good double pumper. A fully prepped 750 list 4779 would be a good place to start. I hope I didn't offend about the 3-barrel...didn't mean to.
Pat

LOL! NO offense taken. If its a crappy carb, then so be it, but I am gonna at least try it. For some reason it worked for my Dad back in the day. I heard from other people that he was pretty much unbeatable back then and there were some pretty stout cars around town.

I plan on doing a single turbo set-up in the future and when that happens, I will be getting a good blow-thru carb. Something like a Mighty Demon or CSU Blow Through . They are proud of the CSU's though.

I'd still like to mess with one. One of each offering from Holley and Carter.

I would not say these are bad carbs they tune just like any other vacuum secondary holley just have some odd parts on them that are hard to find.I ran one on my 416 with stock jetting for a year and a half before the diaphragh went bad, the carb worked great and the jetting was on the money.

Thought I would bring this old thread back to life! Been running the old 3-barrel for a few weeks and it seems to be doing pretty good. Occasionally it cuts out for a split second in the mid rpm's. Could these be the secondary hesitating when trying to kick in? Running it on vac now. Thought about putting a screw in the linkage to make it mech to see if that helps.

Anyone have any experience with a Edelbrock model 1407. Its a 750 4b with air valve secondary. I know where I can get one cheap, but was wondering if it was worth trying.

-
Back