Home Brewing

-

kazooom

Reaction score
We're back.... got the brew kitchen up and running... first batch in about 8 months... I've been going to the micro brewery but not the same as making your own. Now we just have to get the keg fridge built and we are all set... :cheers:

Attachments

• brew1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 258
  • brew2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 243
Got 4 kits to make sitting around, it is about that time of year again for me. I love boiling wort on cold winter days, makes the house smell good. :)

I have been thinking about doing this the last couple years now, They are having a class on doing this in town I hear tell, I seen it on the morning news last Friday... hhmmm..:glasses7:

I got a kit a couple years ago for Christmas. I need to get it out after the holidays and brew up a batch. I saved some quart bottles with bail lids from a local microbrewery that may work. They look like these:

Attachments

• ez-cap-liter-amber050614103049.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 228
I started my first batch of beer in 2016! Spiced Winter Ale. Been brewing since 2006, but had a hiatus between college and my first job in a body shop a decent ways from home. Got back at it again in 2011 after getting married, and now a few different jobs/towns, I am back in my hometown, working nearby. Wife and I got our first home a little over a year ago, and I have been planning on getting more serious in my brewing.

Still doing malt extract kits, but plan on stepping up to brewing full grain batches.

Also have a hankering to try the challenge of brewing on a wood stove as I have one in my garage. Just the thought of doing a batch of beer while listening to good tunes and working on a couple of my engines I have on stands makes me grin.

Current temperature outside tonight is -4 degrees F

Oh, THAT kind, LOL. "In my world" "homebrew" means..............

2007-0205-pi-network.jpg

I want to do this sometime too. I had a friend who was doing a lot of experimenting with mixtures, he overdid something, maybe sugar, anyway the beers exploded in the back seat of my car!!! At least he was documenting everything he did and he observed the number one rule to home brewing.....clean clean clean.

back home in the 60's, "home" brew was shine!! common as dirt!

a kid graduated H S in '65 had a big' new '65 impala with a 396-427???? he hauled shine to "Hot ' Lanta" in. that was his "job"... ha

for the newbies try substituting honey for your sugar additive.
.i always polished mine with a wine filter and carbonated artificially
so there was no sediment.
..don't be afraid to experiment,the varieties are endless and the
cost is peanuts!

Homebrew? LMAO Need more hops?

my dad used to make the stuff. he always made it for maximum alcohol content. I use to sneak a qt out of the basement (cool down there) once in a while, when I was a teenager, would knock me on my a$$ almost. he had a few explode, seems to have been a common problem. The Bible says don`t put new wine in old bottles ---LOL new , used one time qt beer bottles held up better than used screw top wine bottles too. the stuff never did taste as good to me as store bought . don`t drink the stuff anymore tho!

I need to get my kit out. You guys are making me thirsty.

Never tried but always thought about it. Lol I read an article once that you could use your coffee maker to home brew.

Derrick is that a Labatts mug on the counter?

The kit I just made had one pack of hops in it, I added some whole hops to it during the boil as well as I am a hop fiend. Before I rack this ale into secondary fermentation, gonna taste and see if dry hopping will make it even better. It's a bubbling away through the airlock right now.

Coupler? Looks like two big power tubes, dunno. I'll be it doesn't mix with beer!!!

Brew kitchen? You mean you got more than one kitchen?

Ya... we moved after 20 years in the same house, my wife wanted to be closer to her family. I only wanted 2 thing in the new house... a garage and a man cave... we ended up with a house with a granny suite. upstairs is hers and downstairs is my man cave complete with another kitchen.. My Brewhouse.. I now have a keg fridge built. flat glass top stove, good for boil overs ( avoid when possible ) a cold room and wine cellar.. life is good

Wow. Must be nice. lol

I have a friend who used to home brew. Made the best beer I have ever tasted in my life. Then he got gout and had to quit drinking. Dammit all.

Oh, THAT kind, LOL. "In my world" "homebrew" means..............

2007-0205-pi-network.jpg

Don't know wth it is ...but I want one

Hello Steve, that sure is a Labatt's mug... one of my fav's. I'm going tomorrow to see a guy has classic beer tap handles, he has an old Labatt's one and wants $20.. we'll post some pics of the fridge set up when done.

Hey Hops my first batch with the fresh hops I got from ya came out not too bad. A little off flavoured maybe cause the keg system not 100% clean. Next batch will be kegged next week an English ale and if its good.. I'll send ya a spring top bottle of it... thanks Derrick.

-
Back