Home grown DUAL snorkel air cleaner

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
Well, I was wanting a dual snorkel air cleaner assembly for my old '68 dodge truck with a 440 in it. I got sick of looking at the prices for these as I dont want to spend that much on the old truck and especially since I was going to modify it. So I gathered up a stock 413 4bbl single snorkel air cleaner and gathered up a slanty six air cleaner (for the snorkel) and headed over to my buddies metal shop. A few hours later... here is the result.

P1050404.jpg

We had added the slanty snorkel on and it had the heat riser hose hookup hump on the bottom and the pod on top which was removed top and bottom to match the original 413 style one. Dont need that heat riser crap anyways on the old truck.

P1050405.jpg

With a little finish work to do and sanding and painting it will be pretty dang nice I think. All was welded in from the inside so it looks like a stock unit outside. Even installed the air defuser inside behind the snorkel.

P1050406.jpg

So basically the cleaner assembly is the same as a dual snorkel. NOW can someone give me the part # or measurements (diameter and height) of the air filter that goes in these?? I had a few laying around here and they are all too tall or too short. If someone can get me close I wont have to stand around the filters at the store with the assembly in hand... Hard to measure height with the lid on. Any help here will be appreciated.

I have a 440 magnum sticker plate that will go around the top... finsihed pics will come up soon as I am done.

Well ? How did we do ??

-RPM

man I wish I could do stuff like that. I've got all kinds of ideas, but no skills (insert Napoleon Dynamite joke here)

Well ? How did we do ?? :sign7::-k
Dang man!! I give yall an A+ :cheers: Outstanding job RPM =P~=P~
What year model is the truck the 413 breather came from ?
I may be able to get a # for you. :wink:

... NOW can someone give me the part # or measurements (diameter and height) of the air filter that goes in these?? ...
looks nice. just take it to the parts store and start cracking boxes until you find what you need :D

nice work, I've been thinking of something simular, only moving the snorkles closer together so they both face forward a little more.

Thanks for the comments. I have to say that my buddy with the shop did the hard work. I just had the ideas and will finish up the cosmetics.
We just spaced the snorkel equally. Set it on the truck and it clears and fits everything and makes the 440 look even more beefy. I really like how it turned out.

The pan is the same as any of the 400 or 440 or i think even the 340 air cleaner asemblies. So someone should have some dimesions on a air filter.

-RPM

how about anyone with just a single snorkel 340 ?? the pan is the same... just need the height of the filter being used. Thanks !

-RPM

If you stand a blob of platicine in it where the filter goes and close the lid, it should give you a measurement

Grant

Came out great!!! :thumblef: My dad made one for his '70 Newport 383 convertible using the /6 air cleaner. We recently picked up a '72 340 air cleaner that someone cut the snorkel of so we got another /6 air cleaner and one of these days, are going to repair it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,588
  • 2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,517
Just a little info as I was not gonna pay the crazy prices for a 70/71 340 air cleaner and the 72+ is the same size,I just need to clean it and paint it now.

Attachments

• 000_1873.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,502
  • 000_1884.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,457
  • 000_1920.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,426
  • 000_1921.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,548
looks great man im lokoing for a dual snork air cleaner as well think i will just buy one instead

If you go to the Fram website and enter the info for the car the air cleaner you modified was for you can get the Fram part number and it will also give you the dimensions of the air filter. I did a quick search for you and figured the air cleaner you modified was for a Chrysler. So I typed in 1963 Chrysler 300L 413 4-barrel. The Fram air filter part number is: CA127. The dimensions are: 3.52 inches high, ID: 11.02" OD: 12.81". If it's not for a Chrysler 300 then just type what it was for.

Dan in Kalifornia

Are the dual snorkel air cleaners that rare? Only reason I have one on my car is thats what I found in the trunk...

If you go to the Fram website and enter the info for the car the air cleaner you modified was for you can get the Fram part number and it will also give you the dimensions of the air filter. I did a quick search for you and figured the air cleaner you modified was for a Chrysler. So I typed in 1963 Chrysler 300L 413 4-barrel. The Fram air filter part number is: CA127. The dimensions are: 3.52 inches high, ID: 11.02" OD: 12.81". If it's not for a Chrysler 300 then just type what it was for.

Dan in Kalifornia

I didnt think of that !

Groovy !

Thanks a bunch !

-RPM

Well it has been a while since I did anything with this.... soooo... i got it back off the shelf and started doing more work to it. The old 68 D100 will be on the streets in a few months so I decided to finish the air cleaner assembly.
After much work sanding... and sanding... and sanding... I just about got the thing stripped. I put spot putty on the welds where we removed the pod and installed plate. Need to smooth that snorkle out and do some finish sanding and then start priming and then paint. So I guess with the time I put into this that getting a actual dual snorkel might have been more cost effective.... maybe... I still would have modified it for the old truck... so I guess this is ok. I have to admit I cant wait for it to be finished. I think I decided since I have gone this far I will do away with installing the 440 magnum sticker and prob just buck up and buy a pie plate that says it...
Soooo heres a couple update pics... stay tuned.

P1060182.jpg

P1060181.jpg

Just a little info as I was not gonna pay the crazy prices for a 70/71 340 air cleaner and the 72+ is the same size,I just need to clean it and paint it now.

You know you just cut up an even rarer one year only trap door air cleaner to make something that could have been made from any stock 4bbl air cleaner.

That's what I was thinking. :banghead:
Couldn't sell it even at a cheap price,tried for 6 months but was able to sell the trap door and actuator and the inlet and build an air cleaner that I needed for about $40 instead of $350-$400
Kinda reminds me that the car I have for sale might sell better in pieces:glasses7:

Nice.
I wanted to do the same to my 273 2brl breather can. It would be just for looks though so I can't jusify the cost.

-
Back