Homemade Adjustable Strut Rods?

-

TJman

1975 Duster 318
Reaction score
Has anyone else made their stock strut rods adjustable by just turning more threads onto the front end? I did this on my 75 Duster years ago and it seemed to work. It seems almost too easy and I wonder sometimes if it's safe. Your thoughts....?

I talked extensively to my alignment guy about this same thing a couple weeks ago, he said he has done this with the aftermarket ones, and it actually causes way too much positive caster. His advise to me was leave it alone, unless you are road racing a car, there is no advantage to doing this. As is normally the case ma Mopar had it right from the factory. I'm no expert by any means, but my alignment guy races a big block dart, and know's Mopar A bodies pretty good, I trust his opinion on this.

It is not unsafe to make them adjustable, but it is not beneficial if you intend to gain much caster from this. The reason for making them adj. is to compensate for inaccuracy in the
LCA/k-frame relationship, so that when your done the assy. moves up and down as freely as poss. w/the least amt. of binding. If you attempt to pull the LCA forward to gain caster,
you are going to cause binding, and put stress on the LCA pivot bushing which doesn't have a ton of give in it. That will aggravate the tendency of the k-frame cracking around the
pass-through sleeve the LCA pivot stud goes through. You can(and should) weld reinforcement plates on the k-frame, but not to crutch doing the wrong thing.

I would only cut about one more thread and see how it acted. How many did you cut?
It only loads the front bushing on braking and keeps the LC arm square.
Rear bushing only compresses on braking in reverse, a minor consideration.
If you cut a few more threads and it took up exactly the amount of rubber compression over time without pulling on the arm, then no problem.

The problem with just turning more threads onto the front of the strut rod is that you're not really making it adjustable, you're just shortening it.

As Killer6 mentioned the point of the adjustable strut rod is so that you can make the strut rod the right length to have an LCA that moves freely without binding through its whole range of travel. The factory strut rods didn't always do that, they're kind of a "one size fits most" deal where the majority of the time they were "ok", sometimes they were actually right and occasionally they actually caused binding.

I run adjustable strut rods on all of my cars, and so far I've found that all of them have ended up being shorter than the stock non-adjustable strut rods. But I also run poly LCA bushings, and that does have an effect on the strut rod length as well. The advantage to the adjustable strut rods though is that you can set the length while they're on the car, as you run the LCA through it's range of motion to determine the right length before you get binding. I shorten mine until they bind then back off until the LCA travels freely again, so I get as much additional positive caster as I can without any binding. Remember the point of the adjustable strut rods is not to be able to add positive caster, it's to have LCA's that don't bind (although I can typically get some + caster from them). If you just cut some extra threads you'll shorten the effective length of the strut rod, but you won't have an adjustable feature. If you cut too many threads it will bind up and you'll be stuck, and if you don't cut enough you'll have to pull it off and cut more.

As for "too much positive caster", you'd have a hard time adding too much positive caster to these cars if you're running radials (in general, not by adding it with the strut rods, remember, no binding!). Remember the factory alignment specs are for bias ply's, and they're completely backward for radials. The factory specs are literally backward from what you want with radials, factory calls for negative caster and positive camber, which is AWFUL for anything other than bias ply's. With radials you want more positive caster than you can usually get with factory components, even with offset UCA bushings and adjustable strut rods a lot of cars won't get much more than +3 or +4 degrees of caster, and that's not "too much". Modern cars run +8, +9, more. The more positive caster you run the more stable the car will be at speed, and that makes for a better handling car even just tooling down the freeway. Now, for a manual steering car you might not want to get too crazy as it will add to the steering effort some. But again, unless you've got tubular or adjustable UCA's you're not going to get to a place where you've got "too much" positive caster.

I originally did this years ago, to one side only, because the K-member had cracked and the LCA pivot hole had to be repaired. Also I had installed poly bushings. The alignment guy had trouble for some reason getting the caster so this was a quick fix - a cobble job when I was broke and 18 years old. I've driven it 30,000 miles since then, so I guess it was ok, but it eats tires pretty bad. I'm now looking at a front end rebuild and considering all of the aftermarket goodies. There seem to be a lot of people buzzing about adjustable strut rods and getting extra caster. At $200-300 a pair, I have to wonder why people don't just knock the shoulder off and turn more threads with a lathe. Lock a couple of nuts together to replace the shoulder wherever you want and you have adjustable rods.

If it "eats tires pretty badly" then it's NOT ok, regardless of how many miles it's gone. The alignment is wrong at the very least, but fixing that could require taking care of the old repairs on the K.

And again, the point of adjustable strut rods is not to add caster. Having adjustable strut rods allows you to keep the suspension bind-free through its range of motion while compensating for geometry changes in the suspension that often come from aftermarket parts. Sometimes that does mean getting some additional caster, but it's a byproduct.

If the caster was added with the cobble job on the strut rod, there's a good chance the suspension is binding, and the tire wear already tells you something isn't right.

Well, if you fabricated a new lower pivot pin to relocate the LCA a tad further forward,or just spaced the LCA a tad further up the stock pin, then you would be dialing in some extra caster. Then you would have to shorten the S-rod to compensate.And then you would have to run a toe-change pattern to see what you did to the bump-steer.

Thanks all. I'm planning on keeping things mostly stock - nothing exotic here. I just want to correct whatever is wrong, replace all wear parts and have any updates that can be had on a reasonable budget for modern tires and handling. I'm going rubber on everything- no polly, .890 torsion bars, hopefully stock strut bars, offset MOOG UCA bushings. I'm surprised that you're all saying adjustable struts are no benefit, when a lot of people out there seem to be using them. Maybe it's just a fad people are getting caught up in. I have some worry about he K-member - I'll just have to see when I get it apart. I don't know how to check proper location of the LCA pivot pin, so if anyone can advise on that...

Thanks all. I'm planning on keeping things mostly stock - nothing exotic here. I just want to correct whatever is wrong, I'm surprised that you're all saying adjustable struts are no benefit, when a lot of people out there seem to be using them. Maybe it's just a fad people are getting caught up in. I have some worry about he K-member - I'll just have to see when I get it apart. I don't know how to check proper location of the LCA pivot pin, so if anyone can advise on that...
We're not saying that at all! They are of benefit to compensate for variations in the stamped & welded K-frames to allow free travel of the suspension. They are not a "fad", they're
just not the solution for a gain in positive caster, which I thought we covered in detail................:rolleyes:

We're not saying that at all! They are of benefit to compensate for variations in the stamped & welded K-frames to allow free travel of the suspension. They are not a "fad", they're
just not the solution for a gain in positive caster, which I thought we covered in detail................:rolleyes:
got the strut rods on a week or so ago, worked out well, just a little rubber preload if any. made them the same length as stockers, w/ a lower mounting point forward on the frame, "running pretty level. I made these just to make myself feel better about the early magnum force tubular front end. they wont do too much, but I feel better about it. very slight dampening effect, and small amount of support for the back lower a arm bolt.--------hopefully.

"I'm surprised that you're all saying adjustable struts are no benefit"

After re-reading everything, that was a stupid thing to say. I'm reading and typing very quickly because I'm at work here, so I didn't get all of the details at first. I get it - Strut rods are not a caster adjustment, but are meant primarily to maintain the correct geometry under loading conditions. Adjustable strut rods just allow one to compensate for irregularities and maybe cheat a little.

After driving this thing for 18 years, it's about time I sorted some of this out. Thanks again!

-
Back