Honda Cb550F bobber question for motorcycle gurus

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
hey guys, got a random question for the motorcycle gurus here. Im making a bobber out of my 76 honda cb550f and had a few questions. first I want to stick a wider tire in the back, where can i find wider rims that will fit? and also i eventually want to get a rigid frame for it. where is a cheap place to get one that will fit it? thanks guys

You will most likely have to lace one up yourself. Not a job for a begginer. Keep in mind tire to sprocket/chain clearance as well as swingarm clearance. You may have problems with rear brake drum stay and operating rod clearance too.

Don't mean to be a naysayer but it is what it is.

Best to cutom make your hardtail yourself. When you mock it up, make sure it can accomodate a large rear tire. But seriously, Bobbers don't have large rear tires, and really, choppers don't either. All that flashy stuff you see on OCC and such is really more considered "Pro Street" Good Luck! Please post pics. Also, don't listen to all the Harley snobs when they bad mouth Hondas. Ridding is meant to be fun. Not a fashion show.

Got some pics to show what your starting with and some
drawings of what you want to end up with?
Paucho made frames years ago to convert to a chopper style.

here she be

n500145003_3458325_8568.jpg

She looks good already!
Do you have enuff room between the swingarm to lace up a 16" rim?

maybe, i dropped it to just 2-3 inches above the wheel now. the rear wheel looks too offset to the left now as it is and wanted about 2 more inches wider to really fill it up. I plan on sticking on drag bars, drag pipes if i can find some. and throwing a new headlight and rear fender on it. it looks a little different than the pic. that picture was from last year. anyone recognize the paint color?

Found this.
Has pictures also.
Dayton, Ohio--- Craigslist

transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
2 cb 750 choppers - $1 (huber/ piqua)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-27, 6:02PM EDT

I have 2 Honda cb 750's with titles. The first 1 is a Santee frame with springer front end with the chrome in nice shape, invader wheels that are showing age. It is rideable but I would not go far, I have receipts for about $600 dollars of work on it. THE CARBS NEED SOME ADJUSTMENT OR REPAIR. I had them worked on and it started dumping tons of fuel in the oil, took an old set I had swapped needle valves and slowed the fuel down greatly, however not as smooth now and drained oil and stripped drain plug and cracked pan so now it has an oil leak, ebay pans run 10 to 15 bucks. $2200 or best offer. The second one without the seat is a bolt in santee frame piece, Harley rear tire, frame just painted a silver color looks nice needs assembled, 2 boxes of parts as well to help on the assembly time, will need wired as well both bikes supposedly have an 810 kit in them but I have no proof. If either one has a kit it would be the silver one the engines gaskets look knew and it sounds healthy but now I can not start it once I converted the frame$1000 or offer for that one and its in Piqua. Or I will make a great deal on both of them for $2500 very firm!!!!! Might trade for nice pop up, small pull behind trailer, extended cab truck in nice shape, fox body mustang or ? absolutely no bull or low ballers, tire kickers you know who you are cash in hand local buyers only! DO NOT WASTE MY TIME OR YOURS WITH STUPIDITY MY TIME IS PRECIOUS TO ME AND HOPEFULLY YOU! Thanks

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1242896969

3m53p43oaZZZZZZZZZ96r649f7beda9711360.jpg

Man thats a kick *** little honda you got. I love 70's metric bikes. Any how measure the distance in between your chain and tire. That should tell the tail. You could probably run a 5.5 rim with a 180mm tire and get lucky and not have to make a jackshaft. If you plan to make your own hardtail you could just make a harly wheel fit and convert to disc brake. What ever way you do it though, keep us posted!:cheers:

Here's a pic of the bobber i've been buiding in my house!
104_5680.jpg

With the stock swingarm you won't be able to run anything wider much than a 140 series tire on the back, this is true for both the CB750's and the 550's. In fact, you may run into problems even getting the 140 back there. As you noticed, the wheel is offset slightly in the swingarm already, and the front of the swingarm is very narrow.

If you really want to run a big tire, you'll have to make your own hardtail and fabricate accordingly. You'll then need to run offset sprockets or a jack shaft to get a bigger rear tire on there, as well as building a custom wheel.

Big rear tires are mostly for looks, this would be especially true on a CB550. You don't need the extra tire to put horsepower to the ground, as the 550 only make about 45 hp from the factory. Even totally hopped up 550's don't usually make much more than 60-70 hp, so a large tire just makes the bike turn in really slow.

These guys make a lot of custom parts for the SOHC 4 honda's

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Honda Cafe Page.htm

And if you're not already on here, you should be! SOHC4 forums...

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php

My old ride...
'75 CB550

75-550d.jpg

-
Back