Hood light?

-

CLAY72dart

Reaction score
Is this the engine bay light I’m redoing all of the wiring in the car due to a lot of past electrical problems. There was a lot of loose wiring and wires not connected.

IMG_0793.jpeg

I'm going to say no. That looks like a front turn/parking light socket and plug. What are you working on?

I'm not aware of a under hood light on any a body.

Trunk light was an option

Go to www.mymopar.com and download a 1972 Factory service manual.
IIRC '72 is the last year for electrical diagrams that don't need some assembly to use.
IIRC '72 also has some cable routing.

The advantage of the factory diagram is:
a) The circuit, wire gage and full color code are listed.
For example, Q3-12BK* will be switched accessory, 12 gage Black with tracer.
b) The connector shapes and wire positions are drawn as they look (or close).
c)They are usually more accurate and detailed than aftermarket diagrams like the one above.

Go to www.mymopar.com and download a 1972 Factory service manual.
IIRC '72 is the last year for electrical diagrams that don't need some assembly to use.
IIRC '72 also has some cable routing.

The advantage of the factory diagram is:
a) The circuit, wire gage and full color code are listed.
For example, Q3-12BK* will be switched accessory, 12 gage Black with tracer.
b) The connector shapes and wire positions are drawn as they look (or close).
c)They are usually more accurate and detailed than aftermarket diagrams like the one above.
I have it it’s just a little hard to piece it together.

It has 2 contacts, so it is for an 1157 park/turn or tail/brake light bulb. (#1157) It surely looks like it's for front turn/parking light for 70-72 A body.

Does anyone know where this goes? I know
How it connects to the fire wall but where does it go to after that?
View attachment 1716183507
It runs along the inner fender and terminates to a connector that gets plugged into the motor on the bottom of the windshield washer fluid reservoir. The reservoir is mounted to the the top of the DS inner fender.

I don't have the reservoir installed yet but I have circled where the connector is

IMG_5734.jpg

I wonder if anyone has labeled a whole harness before.

I just did my engine bay. Ohm'd everything from the bulkhead connector on out. Printed out a schematic and made my own edits to it since there's a few circuits there that have been modified or added due to an AC install, electronic ignition etc.

I have it it’s just a little hard to piece it together.
I don't know what you are looking at that is hard to piece together.
When we say Factory Shop Manual, we mean the books that say Dodge or Plymouth Chassis Service, and Body Service.

Let's look at '72.
On page 8-144 there is a general key to the diagrams
1704202401827.png

Now the part you are curious about has a plastic housing two contacts for the bulb base, and I can't see but maybe a side contact for bulb?
It looks like 3 wires into a fat T shapoed connector. We know its engine compartment.
Lets find lamps and connectors on the diagram.
1704202824906.png

We think its a lamp so the only ones shown are in the front.
1704203230264.png

And lets focus on the connectors that look like they are similar to the one in the photo.
1704203688531.png

The coding is like this:
First part of the code is the circuit. L is lights, D is turn signals.
Next part is the circuit and wire segment L6A is Light circuit 6 segment A
After the dash is wire gage and colors. 18BK/Y* is 18 gage Black with yellow trace.
If it helps, in MS Paint or similar simple program colorize the circuit of interest and erase the others as needed.
1704204243874.png

I wonder if anyone has labeled a whole harness before.
Yes.
People have laid out harnesses on the workbench or plywood and labled connectors etc with masking tape or writing on the board.
Its a good way to do repairs.

Harness illustrations are in the assembly drawings. Unfortunately I do not see a 1972 for sale. Closest Faxon has for sale is 1971 A-body.
If you think it may be helpful then maybe its worth it. By '73 there were noticible differences in wiring from '71. I think 73 and 74 are similar, 75 and 76 are each pretty unique.

This is what the 67-9 Instrument panel electrical assembly drawings look like in Faxon's reprints

-
Back