Hood scoop finally - what do you think?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I dragged my baby out of storage with the exhaust ticking like mad and embarrassing the hell out of me, but it was worth it. I could never get a paint to match my existing paint, so I went classic satin black. What do ya think?

Hood in shop
View attachment Hood in shop.jpg
View attachment Hood in shop 1.jpg
View attachment Hood in shop 2.jpg

Hood scoop on car
View attachment Hood scoop on car.jpg
View attachment Hood scoop on car 1.jpg
View attachment Hood scoop on car 2.jpg

My baby in the lonely storage facility
View attachment In storage.jpg
View attachment In storage 1.jpg

As the former owner of a limelight 70 sixpack RR, with air grabber and whatever the black hood was called, I kinda like it.

I personally think it would be "better" if it was just blacked in the middle with the scoops, with stripes similar to the old RR, but I say, "OK"!!!

As the former owner of a limelight 70 sixpack RR, with air grabber and whatever the black hood was called, I kinda like it.

I personally think it would be "better" if it was just blacked in the middle with the scoops, with stripes similar to the old RR, but I say, "OK"!!!

I wanted two wide black stripes with a split down the middle and the scoop black as well, but I tried for months to match the paint and never found a match.

or maybe run black into the cowl and front header with the big 340 wedge decal.just a thut. but it looks bad *** for sure..............Artie

I wanted two wide black stripes with a split down the middle and the scoop black as well, but I tried for months to match the paint and never found a match.
dewpont has a macheine that will scan your paint and give you a formula for it.my frend with the body shop has one......Artie

dewpont has a macheine that will scan your paint and give you a formula for it.my frend with the body shop has one......Artie

Sure, they have a machine, and it scanned to a beautiful green about 4 shades darker than mine. PPG has one that finds no match at all. I have tried for a long time. BASF wants me to send him a piece of my car. Hard to find a small piece. Maybe I can send the trunk!

or maybe run black into the cowl and front header with the big 340 wedge decal.just a thut. but it looks bad *** for sure..............Artie

My buddy's son works in custom vinyl. He makes wraps for cars, motorcycles, etc... He is going to make me some decals for the side of the scoop that says '408 Stroker'

I agree it would look better if you were to paint the nose and cowl.Nice paint job on the hood you gotta love the snorkel scoop.

SWEEEET ! ! I want that scoop...

Anyone have one for sale???????

I agree painting the header panel would make it flow better and less like the hood was an afterthought. I wouldn't put stroker on the hood but that's just me. I like the look.

SWEEEET ! ! I want that scoop...

Anyone have one for sale???????

Mine came with the car. It was in the trunk. I just had to fix the mounting holes and buy another hood. I looked for one in better shape and found a bunch of them on ebay. Most have bad mounting holes. I decided to fix mine. I bought some 10 -24 sheet rock nuts, the kind that have sharp edges on the back to bite into the sheetrock. I drilled out the holes in the scoop, filled with fiberglass resin, set the nuts in place and let dry. Then I drilled the resin when dry to accommodate the bolts. Now they hold very well and will not strip out. It took maybe a half hour total to fix them all. The scoop didn't fit real well to the contours of the hood, so we built up the edges with fiberglass and then shaved it to fit perfectly. A little filling, blocking, sanding and paint, and it turned out pretty darn well.

Looks good. I love black hoods. But I have to agree that the nose / header would finish it off. Did it to my Challenger and will be doing it to my project Scart. :D

Looks good. I love black hoods. But I have to agree that the nose / header would finish it off. Did it to my Challenger and will be doing it to my project Scart. :D

I was looking at the pics, and I agree that the beak needs to be black. But the cowling that several people seem to think should be painted will be an issue because the window frame rails roll into the cowling. Where could you cut the paint off without looking goofy? The snout has a few rock chips and such, so to smooth it out and paint it black would be a good thing, I think.

I dragged my baby out of storage with the exhaust ticking like mad and embarrassing the hell out of me, but it was worth it. I could never get a paint to match my existing paint, so I went classic satin black. What do ya think?

Hood in shop
View attachment 273623
View attachment 273624
View attachment 273625

Hood scoop on car
View attachment 273626
View attachment 273627
View attachment 273628

My baby in the lonely storage facility
View attachment 273629
View attachment 273630

I think it would look better on my 'Doba! Lol I think it looks great!

It would require more masking and leave a hard line, but you could carry the black straight back off the hood and leave a strip across the front of the windshield the width of the pillars. This would tie it in I think. You could use photoshop if your better than me! Or you could just print a pic and draw it in to see what it's like. That's how I did it.

-
Back