HOOD Scoop Stud help needed,,,,,

-

BigWaveDave

Reaction score
I'm trying to install the dual scoops on my Duster.Unfortunately, several of the stud mounts on the scoop were stripped.
I tried JB Weld, but when I tried installing them to the hood,, the studs came unwelded from the scoops!
Does anyone have any ideas of what to use to re-attach them?
Thank you!!
:yawinkle:

JB Weld should work. Make sure its the plastic type though....For metal only won't work. not sure why... chemicals and stuff?

I used an epoxy type for plastics only. Came in a syringe type squirt it out. mix it up...held really good. It was solid in 15 minutes. Paintable too.

Devcon High Strength Plastic Epoxy

Aloha Mike

Try cleaning the holes really good with the stuff you clean with before painting, then fill the stripped holes with some 2 part epoxy and carefully drill them out when it's dried, then carefully srew the studa back in.

Thanks both of you! sounds like Epoxy is the way to go.
Still unsure whether to fill in the hole and drill/thread it after it dries, or just glue the
studs in,,
Anyone try both methods?

I think it would be better to fill and drill. When you fill them, make sure to jam the epoxy all down in the hole with a tooth-pick or skewer so it gets between the threads (or whats left of them) and stays in. Let it cure, then drill and screw the studs in.

I think it would be better to fill and drill. When you fill them, make sure to jam the epoxy all down in the hole with a tooth-pick or skewer so it gets between the threads (or whats left of them) and stays in. Let it cure, then drill and screw the studs in.

Yes, this is the best way. I did this fix on my taillight housings. I have used JB weld to fix many things that are plastic. I have fixed broken grill studs by super glueing them in place and the building up some jb around the fixed area.

Yes, this is the best way. I did this fix on my taillight housings. I have used JB weld to fix many things that are plastic. I have fixed broken grill studs by super glueing them in place and the building up some jb around the fixed area.

So you do recommend JB Weld over Epoxy?

So you do recommend JB Weld over Epoxy?

That is what has worked for me. I haven't had much luck tapping epoxy, but I was just using basic 5 min home depot stuff.
Like was mentiond earlier make sure the surface is cleaned and that you get the filler all the way to the bottom of the hole. Tooth pick works good.
Hope this helps.

My paint friend has some hi tech epoxy that is blue in color and dries pretty hard. That might be the ultimate fix for the plastic.

Used the 2 part epoxy, worked like a charm!!! Ended up having a tight enough fit when I twisted the studs into the holes with the Epoxy. I do think a big part of the problem was not cleaning out the drilled hole,, used Acetone, a rag and 1 phillips screw driver,,

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!!!

Oh Yeah, another problem I think I had was that I originally used Lock nuts which twisted the studs when trying to tighten,,, Used regular nut, washer and lock washer and no problems,,,

-
Back