HorsePower 360 build on Spike?

-

Cevidicus

CevidiGrinch
Reaction score
Just watched HorsePower on Spike and was wondering who sold those guys a 360 with Comp roller cam, Eddy heads, RPM AirGap intake, electric waterpump, aftermarket balancer(for an internally ballanced engine?) Demon carb, etc for $475 bucks?

They refreshed it and made 440+HP and 465+TQ..... All on a budget of $1,500!

Cool to see a Mopar on TV.:-D But Really???

I just watched that too. Wish I could find an engine like that for $475. It had what looked like Comp Magnum roller tip rocker arms too. Did they say they used a Scotchbrite pad on the cylinders & reused the rings? At least this time they knew about rotating the engine when they pre lubed it to get the oil to the top end. IIRC, last time they were clueless. Hope they had a bronze gear with that billet camshaft.

When I seen the show thismorning, I was thinking "Who did they steal that 360 from for under 500 and why the hell cant I find one!?" lol

Though the deals are out there... a few weeks ago I did pick up a complete drive train excluding drive shaft for $500 (plus a couple tanks of gas and just over 12 hours of driving time)

- 318 complete air cleaner to pan with 904 trans & yoke $300
- brand new in the box never used Schumaker /6 to 318 mount kit $150
- complete 8.75 drum to drum 489 case open w/hiway gears

The Engine and rear were from EBody cars, the guy removed the 318/904 to replace them with 440/727. He had a buddy who was going to do a swap /6 to this 318 but went in a new direction. And I picked up the EBody rear from another guy who had had this rear sitting around for years and years as a spare, although it needs to be completely rebuilt I couldnt resist for $50!

Those guys are idiots!

Nice to see they had to BEAT the cam into the block... NEVER a good thing. The cam bearings are too tight and the block likely needs to be honed on one or more cam bearing journals. It's crushing the bearing shell too much reducing clearance on the cam bearing. BTDT got the t shirt!

This is one of those thing where having a bore gauge comes in handy.

Then they put that POS carb on it. With a decent carb, 4150 750dp or 950hp, that engine puts out another 30HP is my guess.

At least this time they knew about rotating the engine when the pre lubed it to get the oil to the top end. IIRC, last time they were clueless.

I remember screaming at the TV when they did that build. :angry7:

Just went back & looked at it again. On this build the camshaft journals had full grooves so it shouldn't have needed rotating to get the oil to the top end.

This time the kid didn't try to blame the bad valve adjustment on somebody else. Remember last time when he was ready to beat on the engine when he couldn't figure out the noise that turned out to be a leaking header gasket?

Saw that episode this morning couldn't stop laughing....just like articles in magazines don't believe eveything you see or read...

I saw it too, why would not use the carb it came with. I think it was a mighty demon. You could never buy that engine for that money. I least they made good power this time last time was a bigger joke. I guess that is why it is tv.

I also didn't understand why they didn't re-use the carb. It was certainly a much better carb then the summit unit. That money could have went into a rebuilding of the carb. Might have been a good segment. Then, the money saved into something else? Other things I was surprised at were;

Total timing they went to. 36*
The mention of comp roller rockers on a stock shaft.
No mention about the electric water pump's condition.

The old owner didn't know or realize the balancer issue. That is my bet why it went cheap. He probably thought he screwed the whole thing up beyond a reasonable $$$ fix.

While the HP level seemed a slight bit high, but not to badly off IMO, I prefur to just take it with a grain of salt since there dyno will show one thing, your will show another, sea level dyno's and mountain dyno's and winter dyno's and....well, you get the picture.

Don't race the dyno. Remember it is a tool to get the dang thing running at it's best and a good idea what to do and expect out of it and what to do with your car when you install it. Etc... on the car build up stuff.

Just watched it again,man where are these "suckers" giving away motors i listed most of the parts that were on that 360 when they bought it,and they total over $3500.00 but they bought it for $475.00.why can't we find theses deals:angry7::angry7::angry7:..and where can you have a block hot-tanked for just $20..lol...i guess the show is good for its laughability properties:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Come on guys at least they did a sb mopar build instead of another 350 chevy. If I see one more chevy build I'm gonna puke.

Come on guys at least they did a sb mopar build instead of another 350 chevy. If I see one more chevy build I'm gonna puke.

X's 3!

Though I'd also like to know where I can get a block hot tanked for $20! stroked 340 is right! They couldn't be serious with the power washer and can of gunk as the source of the price now could they? :angry7:

That is just plain ol'WRONG! :angry7:

Well, I hope they ask a MoPar guy, a real MoPar guy, what to do next. They should turn up the wick on it one more time.

Bigger roller cam, port the heads, single plane, A REAL HOLLEY CARB! super comp headers....etc....

The old owner didn't know or realize the balancer issue. That is my bet why it went cheap. He probably thought he screwed the whole thing up beyond a reasonable $$$ fix.

And you can just hear his chevy buddies telling him it's a pile because it shakes like a poor kid having an epileptic seizure.

I know they use those POS carb because it's a dang info-mercial, but, come on. Put a real carb on it and see what happens. I see no reason that thing couldn't have made 470ish with decent ring seal.

I know if I was in that place, first thing I would do is hit both those guys with a torque wrench. it might not help them, but, I would feel much better! LOL :-D

Of the four Powerblock shows, Horsepower is far and away the worst. All those chuckleheads do is bolt on whatever the advertisers supply them with. Do they ever do anything that requires any thought?
Both of those guys are total clowns. The older guy doesn't look sure of which end of the wrench to hold, but he's got the "radio announcer voice". And the young guy comes across as a know-it-all. As long as he's working on Chevys, anything else and he looks pissed off, like they're wasting his time.

Time to voice our concerns to the show so we can be heard. Everything is always Chevy and Ford all the time with them. Let's petition real Mopar persons to be on the show.

i concour with Howard 1784, the only problem is if you get a mopar guy in there to help them, i guessing the other two will be so lost, that they'll have to have Joe bring his guitar!

Yea, I'm not to thrilled with the young guys cockyness and being so upset it's not a Chevy he's working on. Screw him!

yea they paid 375 for a used motor with aluminum heads, electric water pump, demon carb and edelbrock air gap intake . I think thats a load of crap but hey Im real jealous if they really did score all that stuff for that price!

-
Back