Horsepower with mileage options

-
We do have an extra garret turbo laying on the shelf from upgrading the one on our ford. Throw a wicked wheel in it and listen to the whistle it makes.

Can run it as is, alot of people throw a cummins one on without changing anything on the turbo itself, just need the right flange to mate to the turbo exhaust side. My set up uses headman block huggers and wrap between the mount and block (maddart fabbed it all) I just got it all when I bought the car from him. It can do done for alot less, plus if you don't want to get a c&s blow through the carb shop here in California can convert any carb to a blow through.

My other son has joked about putting the turbo on the big block duster. It would certainly make for an interesting possibility. Would a guy need to worry about too much boost. We lifted the heads on our 6.0 superduty and put head studs on to remedy it.

Well that was probably pushing 30psi which you all diesels have to have done. If the stock waste gate is not adjustable they might make one that is for it. And set it lower like around 6-8 on stock internals maybe 10 max

Turbo on a 318?

Sounds like a home run to me.

Well that was probably pushing 30psi which you all diesels have to have done. If the stock waste gate is not adjustable they might make one that is for it. And set it lower like around 6-8 on stock internals maybe 10 max
Lol, yeah despite telling my son not to add more boost than the factory bolts can hold. But what does pops know. It can take all he can put to it now. Thanks to all you guys for the input of ideas. This will really let us pencil out a solid plan and see what best works for my sons overall. I dont know my son will turbo on his 318, but I can see my son turbo the big block duster.

Yeah my 2014 ram spikes to 30 but doesn't hold it there when I need to jump on it, it moves pretty good for a crew cab dually long bed with that 6.7 cummins. Nice thing is theres alot of awesome builds on the forced induction to get some great ideas

4 pages of opinions heres you one more. find some 302 heads put them on your 318 with 0 deck and .039 gaskets with the quench pad chambers can up compression to 10.5 to one. then duel plan small port intake and a towing/low torque cam and a good thermoquad carb and small tube headers and duels with cross over, with good tune up itll surprise you!!! then id put a gm hydro/turbo200 4 speed od trans with about a 2800 stall or a 833 4 speed od and 8 1/4 with 3:55 or 8.8 explorer posi 3:73 with disc brakes!! that be a torquey lil car that get right decent mpg's!

I would agree with the 3.55 gear ratio being a good balance for getting the best of low end off the line with a balance of it drinking fuel. Provided of course a lighter foot on the pedal, accompanied with a 4bbl carb and intake combo, 258-268ish cam, dual exhaust, and an od transmission would get it in the range of a semi economical rompity car.

I definitely think handling should be on the list of improvements.

That sounds like fun, but you also stated your son was still in school, if he is truly looking for MPG than the money spent on modifications, would be better spent on any 15 year old 4cyl car, pick a clean one somebody local has for sale.
It will be cheaper and provide better mileage than an old school car.
Sorry to be a party pooper, but it is the truth.

Their school is 4 miles away, and they graduate this year. My younger son usually drives a 96 ford mustang v6 car, a d in picking up a 4 cylinder ford ranger next week from a guy in trade for my son hanging sheet rock for a day. So they certainly have options, lol, I've told them many times I don' drive a Kia soul cause it's a good looking car. It's the mpg, haha.

That sounds like fun, but you also stated your son was still in school, if he is truly looking for MPG than the money spent on modifications, would be better spent on any 15 year old 4cyl car, pick a clean one somebody local has for sale.
It will be cheaper and provide better mileage than an old school car.
Sorry to be a party pooper, but it is the truth.
So true. We have a shop truck with 580 HP and a 4 cyl Dakota shop truck. The 580 HP 1974 1/2 ton hasn't moved for 11 months and the Dakota is used every day. My vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Stratus. Bought it for $200 with a broken timing belt and 13 bent valves. For another $150 it now has a new belt and 16 new valves. About 26 mpg around town and 37 on the hwy.

-
Back