How And Why Move Emulsion Jets?

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to muck up @MomsDuster's thread so I thought I'd start a separate one. I've seen other comments regarding moving the emulsion jets and fuel restrictors in the Holley style carburetors. First off, why would someone want to do that? What are the benefits? Also, how is this accomplished? Some pictures would help greatly. Thank you, drive through.

RRR,
The best description, with pictures, is in D. Vizard's Holley book, SA books #216. I believe $25 in the US, worth the money.

The introduction of air into the main well affects the fuel curve to put it simply.

Why do it? To tailor the fuel curve to the engines requirements.

What are the benefits? A better running engine as the AFR is correct for what the engine wants and where.

How is it accomplished? Depends on the main well design but in your case if you're using a Holley four barrel you could buy some metering blocks and try changing their locations to see how that affected engine performance. That said I have it from a very knowledgeable person that if the Holley is correctly sized for the power output of the engine then the standard Holley size and placement (emulsion) is correct.

They used to sell these:

Rapid Tune-Up Tricks For Your Favorite Holley Carb

Once you get past the big HP increases they got from going from a stock 650 DP to a HP main body at the bottom they show what are tubular emulsion set ups that one can drill any and as many holes as one would like.

Just look at a Carter Booster and see how they introduced air into the main well.

This is a very simple introduction.

@RustyRatRod FWIW, I haven’t made any changes to emulsion stacks on my carbs. I have asked questions here and on other forums concerning changes in my setup without much helpful information. Here is a rabbit hole if you want to go there. Emulsion Characteristics of Holley Carbs - Don Terrill’s Speed-Talk

I was told early on to move my IFR’s to the bottom because that is a more stable position to meter fuel from.

I have Vizard’s book “How to Super Tune and Modify Holley Carburetors”. Although it is full of good info, IMO it is far from a “How to” book. Closer to maybe a “What to” or possibly a “Why to”. Vizard is obviously a very intelligent person but I find him somewhat hard to follow, especially in his videos.

Hopefully your post here will bring more light on the subject. And with any luck it will be written in layman’s terms for all to understand and appreciate! LOL

Just my $.02

I have a question. Are the newer Holley carbs being built with this mod? And how would u know for certain it is done to your carb other than if u did it or had someone do it 4ya. Kim

Pretty sure the new Holly HP’s with billet blocks are. My ProForms emulsion stacks were tapped to be adjustable.

IMG_6281.jpeg

@RustyRatRod FWIW, I haven’t made any changes to emulsion stacks on my carbs. I have asked questions here and on other forums concerning changes in my setup without much helpful information. Here is a rabbit hole if you want to go there. Emulsion Characteristics of Holley Carbs - Don Terrill’s Speed-Talk

I was told early on to move my IFR’s to the bottom because that is a more stable position to meter fuel from.

I have Vizard’s book “How to Super Tune and Modify Holley Carburetors”. Although it is full of good info, IMO it is far from a “How to” book. Closer to maybe a “What to” or possibly a “Why to”. Vizard is obviously a very intelligent person but I find him somewhat hard to follow, especially in his videos.

Hopefully your post here will bring more light on the subject. And with any luck it will be written in layman’s terms for all to understand and appreciate! LOL

Just my $.02
Layman's terms was exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks.

Pretty sure the new Holly HP’s with billet blocks are. My ProForms emulsion stacks were tapped to be adjustable.

View attachment 1716274686
And again there is a "seemingly" modern metering block design and the IFRs are still at the top. I just have many questions. Like, if you move the IFRs to the bottom, do you need to plug the top holes? And WHY do they use "only" one pair of emulsion jets? And would "more" emulsion jets be beneficial? And WHY? And how do you tune for those? What symptoms do you look for to tell you which way to tune the emulsion jets......and on and on. LOL

I have a question. Are the newer Holley carbs being built with this mod? And how would u know for certain it is done to your carb other than if u did it or had someone do it 4ya. Kim
I don't know "which" Holleys come like that now, but all of the Quick Fuel carburetors come with adjustable air bleeds on top, adjustable IFRs on the metering blocks and also adjustable power valve restrictors. Plus they are pretty affordable. Although I've had my metering blocks off several times, my dumbass has failed to see if the emulsion holes are tapped. I'm assuming I wouldda noticed, so I'm gonna say no. But with all the "other" already being done, that would be a small job to handle. Hope that helped answer some of your question.

RRR,
The best description, with pictures, is in D. Vizard's Holley book, SA books #216. I believe $25 in the US, worth the money.
I thank you my friend for the advice. That said, I don't want advice too technical. I'm a simple man and speak in simple terms. Vizard does not. I don't need to get lost as I already am.

Wonder what the big name carb wizards are generally setting up/modifying emulsion jets and such ?

And again there is a "seemingly" modern metering block design and the IFRs are still at the top.
The new stuff is junk. The original Holley's were correctly designed that's why they have 2 emulsion bleeds. I have it from good authority that a properly sized Holley for the engines HP range only requires 2.

The IFR jet at the bottom of the block is immersed in fuel and therefore meters fuel correctly. The IFR at the top will meter fuel and air and will be inconsistent. Where do original Holley's have the jet?

WHY do they use "only" one pair of emulsion jets?
I thinks its just the limitaion of the design. If you look at how Carter does emulsion they use a tube and place the emulsion holes around the tube so as to prevent the air coalescing and causing slugging flow where slugs of air and slugs of fuel leave the booster. The question then is which cylinder gets the fuel and which cylinder gets the air.

You want to limit how much air you use in in the main well to prevent slugging flow. If you watch any Holley slow motion dyno vid you will see a pulsing action coming from the booster. That pulsating flow is a function of emulsion. It does the same thing on a wet flow bench. These myths that emulsion is designed to atomize the fuel is exactly that MYTH!

I thank you my friend for the advice. That said, I don't want advice too technical. I'm a simple man and speak in simple terms. Vizard does not. I don't need to get lost as I already am.
Put the right size Holley on your engine the first time and don't worry about it.

The main system starts out a little rich, but very soon air corrects. Should run at about the same economy mixture entire range of speed. For power enrichment fuel comes from power circuit. Like power valve holley, step-up spring carter

I don't know "which" Holleys come like that now, but all of the Quick Fuel carburetors come with adjustable air bleeds on top, adjustable IFRs on the metering blocks and also adjustable power valve restrictors. Plus they are pretty affordable. Although I've had my metering blocks off several times, my dumbass has failed to see if the emulsion holes are tapped. I'm assuming I wouldda noticed, so I'm gonna say no. But with all the "other" already being done, that would be a small job to handle. Hope that helped answer some of your question.
I have a Pro Systems 1000. 4150 carb. Supposed they could have modified it or maybe not. I never paid much attention to it. I seen it had a small home drilled in a 4 butter flies. I bolted it on and it ran great. I have these pics. Kim

IMG_4507.png

IMG_4508.png

IMG_4509.png

Last edited:
Emulsion changes the flow characteristics of the fuel through the main well and out of the booster. That’s it. Emulsion is another tuning tool to tailor the fuel curve to the wants/needs of a particular engine.

@Hysteric is absolutely correct that moving the IFR to the bottom hole instead of the top more accurately meters the wet fuel as it will be “underwater” in the low position. In the high position it’s possible that it sees air in the idle well.

RRR,
Below is a page out of Vizard's Hooley book. It will answer ALL your questions. Not only does it cover Holleys, but airflow mods, booster types, carb spacers, fuel delivery, etc. It is really a book about carburetion.

img391.jpg

I run a 360 [email protected] cam, sealed hood scoop, return fuel system and 750DP Demon. I drive this car on 93 octane pump gas 50 miles to run at the track. The tune I run is 14.0 afr cruise and 12.3-4 wot 1/4 mile.
71/85 jetting
MAB .028 IAB .067 front .070 rear
IFR .032 bottom position T slot restrictor .082 front and rear
T slot .020 throttle blade opening front and rear. Bypass air at idle added thru adjustable PCV
3 hole demon metering block .026/plugged/.026
5" power 4 hole power valve .063 PVCR
.035 nozzles, blue cam #1 hole, 50cc pump front and rear
timing 28* initial, 34* total, 46* ported vacuum advance at cruise. MSD 6al analog modified OEM magnetic pickup distributor.

Get an AFR gauge and use it as a TOOL to map the fuel curve of your carb.
The 3 and 4 hole QFT/Proform blocks come with .028 emulsion holes. Check the size of each hole, the anodize coating is not always uniform.
On a 3 hole block use the top and bottom and plug the middle.
On a 4 hole block use #1&3 and plug 2&4
If you decide to go smaller than the .028 and use a brass 6/32 restrictor carefully drill the emulsion holes with a #53 .059 drill bit.

Most out of the box cars are rich so people don't burn a piston.
Once you have an AFR gauge installed you will see that a street car spends most of the time running on the idle and t slot circuit. Tune this circuit first, then move on to the front primary, then PVCR and secondary jetting for WOT.

Ok so this leads me to some questions. 1) why the middle one?
2) what does this do to the fuel curve?

Warning, answering these questions will likely bring up more…,
1) the middle gave me the most stable and flat fuel curve at cruise and WOT
2) see 1
Think of the emulsion as a means to tame the fuel flow to behave in a stable, predictable manner. Now add or decrease jetting to run the afr the combo likes the best.

Ok so this leads me to some questions. 1) why the middle one?
2) what does this do to the fuel curve?

Warning, answering these questions will likely bring up more…,
1. Because lots of guys before you and me have figured out that in most performance applications, that’s when the fuel curve needs to change. Most blocks are over emulsified to keep the tune up safe. Remember, a change in air speed doesn’t always bring with it a change in air mass. So we have to manipulate the fuel (with air) to add or subtract air/fuel ratio.
2. Adding emulsion leans the fuel curve. Subtracting emulsion richens the fuel curve.

So next question is: why the middle in a 3 hole configuration? Or why the stagger in a 4 hole configuration?
Is it rpm or velocity dependent?

Sorry I missed the reply from @mderoy340 before posting this.

Thanks for the reply’s fellas.

Last edited:
So next question is: why the middle in a 3 hole configuration? Or why the stagger in a 4 hole configuration?
Is it rpm or velocity dependent?
Emulsion in a Holley block works when fuel level in the bowl drops. Picture the fuel dropping and uncovering each emulsion hole one at a time and it helps to visualize when each hole is changing the curve. It has to do with WHEN the curve changes.

-
Back