HOW BAD IS IT!

-
When you say you can't find neutral, do you mean the gears grind when trying to go into gear with the clutch depressed, if so I ran into that when I swapped in a crank that had the tranny pilot shaft hole drilled to depth, but as I found out later was not honed to size, the crank pilot bushing seized on to the tranny input shaft and kept it spinning even with the clutch pedal down.
I do know (so I've been told) that the engine is original to the car but the transmission is not (it was a 3 spd car) so I think pilot bushings should be ok. Again I'm going to have pull it and see :BangHead:

You knew when you bought it that the transmission needed to be pulled? So why all the :soapbox::BangHead::BangHead: :wtf:.
pull the trans and tell use what the problem is.
You already have it on 4 jackstands, I'd consider the trans halfway out at that point.

I do know (so I've been told) that the engine is original to the car but the transmission is not (it was a 3 spd car) so I think pilot bushings should be ok. Again I'm going to have pull it and see :BangHead:

You already have it on 4 jackstands, I'd consider the trans halfway out at that point.

I know I know, but you see I have a sickness, it's called lazyness

Ok so since j par was cracking on me, and since I have the day off I decided to go ahead and pull the trans. The good part is since this car has been recently been restored, I didn't swallow any Mud Dubber nest while under the car. The bad part is the previous owner installed header dumps, and in doing so welded the complete exhaust from the headers back into one piece.
20170331_114510_resized.jpg

20170331_114522_resized.jpg
20170331_140424_resized.jpg

Now there's no room for the crossmember to come out. I tried lowering the exhaust much as I dare but there's still there not enough room.

I blame you j par! LOL

I don't want to remove the headers because that would be a pain in the ***. My question is if I remove the rear mount you think I can get the transmission out without removing the crossmember. I don't want to try this unless I know it works cuz I might get it stuck stuck and I'll be in a bigger predicament.

Okay the first thing I've got to say is 9 times Outta 10 when you buy a car that someone's been modifying or Jack Wheeling around with you'll run into this crap which is a good time to fix it because you'll run into it the next time you try and fix something. But I will offer some advice on your problems...
try un bolting the transmission from the crossmember and jack the trany up and slip it out?

You should find the asshole who did that **** to the exhaust and beat his ***. Beat that *** until his eyes bleed. Dumbasses do that because they think it stops leaks. If you can't seal a leak you need to find another line of work or hobby.

That pisses me off to no end. I just hate that. If I wasn't so sick right now, I'd go find one of my dogs and slap them around a bit.

Not really, my dogs are spoiled but still that pisses me off.

Okay the first thing I've got to say is 9 times Outta 10 when you buy a car that someone's been modifying or Jack Wheeling around with you'll run into this crap which is a good time to fix it because you'll run into it the next time you try and fix something. But I will offer some advice on your problems...
try un bolting the transmission from the crossmember and jack the trany up and slip it out?

So what you're saying I can pull the trans with the cross still in place by sliding the it back into the tunnel till the shaft clears and then dropping it out? Is there enough room to do this?

I'll have to do some measuring to see it will work.

You should find the asshole who did that **** to the exhaust and beat his ***. Beat that *** until his eyes bleed. Dumbasses do that because they think it stops leaks. If you can't seal a leak you need to find another line of work or hobby.

That pisses me off to no end. I just hate that. If I wasn't so sick right now, I'd go find one of my dogs and slap them around a bit.

Not really, my dogs are spoiled but still that pisses me off.

You scared me there for a minute about your dogs, it's not their fault that dumb *** doesn’t know how to make an exhaust system!

First I'm just offering this as a suggestion because I would not do something so stupid as to weld my exhaust to my headers. I'm saying disconnect the 4 bolts like you already have on the cross member and then disconnect the transmission one Bolt from the crossmember then with a jack lift the transmission up in the air up against the tunnel and then try and slip to cross member out at that point and this is just a suggestion to try and get around the last persons Jack Wheeling as I like to call it.

So what you're saying I can pull the trans with the cross still in place by sliding the it back into the tunnel till the shaft clears and then dropping it out? Is there enough room to do this?

You scared me there for a minute about your dogs, it's not their fault that dumb *** doesn’t know how to make an exhaust system!

Ha!! I have 4 dogs....all rescues. They are living the dream. I know people who hope they die and come back as one of my dogs. They are horribly spoiled for sure.

Hope you get the gear box out without cutting the hell out of everything. You may get by with what jPar said, and if you get there and it's close, you can drop the headers down and see if that helps.

What a bummer.

Until I read the just joking part, I thought you lost your MED'S again.
Welding the headers to the exhaust to something a kid would do, that's a massive red flag !
Ha!! I have 4 dogs....all rescues. They are living the dream. I know people who hope they die and come back as one of my dogs. They are horribly spoiled for sure.

Hope you get the gear box out without cutting the hell out of everything. You may get by with what jPar said, and if you get there and it's close, you can drop the headers down and see if that helps.

What a bummer.

The previous owner had it professionally restored, and it looks like the the header dumps were added later, and I'll bet the had lose the collectors to get it fit. I wish it it didn't have them they drag over the smallest bumps , and there are a few other issue such as the a cam is way to wild for the engine. I guess that what you get when by someone else's project. Overvall I'm pretty happy with the car.

Yup. You should be able to wiggle the tranny back by dropping the rear so the cross brace clears the frame. It's tight but doable.

" professionally restored" is extremely questionable in my mind. But I must say as Jack wheeled as it is the welds don't look too bad. There may have been some kind of purpose that we're not aware of. But I do know if you Google "3 inch header flange" you'll see that this could have been remedied with a $22 part that's welded in. This is where my $14 Harbor Freight cutting wheel and grinder and my $99 Harbor Freight welder pay for themselves every time fixing stuff like this. Take it to an exhaust shop and see how much they charger and mark up the price of the header flanges. If the car has been professionally restored then this is simply the only thing you have to fix the exhaust and a transmission? Motor? Rearend ?

the pipe installation is very clean but not repair friendly, I would not try to do any transmission work without removing the pipes. so cut those babes and have some flanges or some type of joint welded in. this will not be the last time you will need the room to work and the pipes will be in the way!

He won't have to worry about fixing the car again it's been professionally restored ! :poke:

the pipe installation is very clean but not repair friendly, I would not try to do any transmission work without removing the pipes. so cut those babes and have some flanges or some type of joint welded in. this will not be the last time you will need the room to work and the pipes will be in the way!

sawzaw and 5 minutes it's apart man..... and you can put new headers back on using the collectors..... E bodies are a little easier :)

I'll get the tranny out 1st then I'll get the exhaust fixed.

Most of the car was done better the crappy exhaust. here are pictures since you asked j par
00m0m_13ArcZWY1Ck_1200x900.jpg

20170324_175947_resized.jpg
20170324_175044_HDR_resized.jpg

20170324_175044_HDR_resized.jpg

20170324_175115_resized-1.jpg

20170324_175947_resized.jpg

00m0m_13ArcZWY1Ck_1200x900.jpg

20170324_175115_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, sorry about the repeat pictures, I wasn't able to delete them

-
Back