how did you guys mount your tranny cooler

-

71dustar

Reaction score
I just got a tranny cooler and trying to find the best place to mount it. mounting it straight to the radiator i dont think is the best idea due to vibrations might crack one of the rows on the radiator. let me know.

Well this should be interesting I posted that same question and had no replys.I havent even got mine in.

Do you have an aluminium radiator? If yes then I wouldn't mount it directly to the radiator.

Either way I would run 2 lengths of aluminium channel vertically across the front of the rad and mount the cooler to that.

I ran two lengths of flat bar horizontally in front of my rad on my 71' Duster to make use of some factory holes.

I mounted the cooler to that and was able to use another factory hole in the left front of the rad support to bring my cooler lines through.

I have never had any problem mounting them right to the radiator.

You buy the cooler install kit and it comes with the plastic zip lock hold downs that you run through the fins of your cooler and fins of your radiator to lock it into position.

It also comes with foam pads to put between the cooler and radiator that absorb any vibrations keep it from having any metal to metal contact.

I also recently seen a thread where the guy took his tranny cooler and mounted it up under in the spare tire area ( he made his own bracketry to support it).....he then mounted a small electric fan to it (just like you would see cooling a radiator but smaller) and ran power to a key on hot.....so not matter what ....rather sitting still or doing 100mph ,as long as his ignition was on his tranny fluid was staying cooled by that fan.

Just a nifty idea i thought I would mention.

I personally am going to stick with mounting in front of the radiator though.

-
Back