How do I lube a speedometer cable

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My speedometer cable on my 74 duster bounces really bad from 10 to 20 and then like drops after 80 to 120 so I was wondering first off does it need to be lube and how do I do that

Thanks

Hey guys,

My speedometer cable on my 74 duster bounces really bad from 10 to 20 and then like drops after 80 to 120 so I was wondering first off does it need to be lube and how do I do that

Thanks
You could pull the dash, then take the cable off the speedo and shoot some WD 40 down there, but it would be easier to just replace it 9and not have to pull the dash)

Speedo cables do require periodic lubrication, WD40 is not an appropriate speedo cable lube, and pulling the dash is not required to lube the cable. Do it as described here.

Or you could just spray something like lockease into the cable. Already has graphite in it.

Usually it a worn speedo head that causes a bounce.....sometimes adding some grease to the cable end will help though. Pull the cable loose from the speedo and pack some grease in the plastic end. Then snap it back on the speedo head.

Usually it a worn speedo head that causes a bounce.....sometimes adding some grease to the cable end will help though. Pull the cable loose from the speedo and pack some grease in the plastic end. Then snap it back on the speedo head.

Well the speedo cable is brand new so you guys think that lubing it will definetly help it stop bouncing.

-
Back