How do I measure flywheel to see which one I have??????

-

duster360

Reaction score
How do I measure my flywheel to make sure exactly what I have. It does have a 10.5" clutch that was run on it. The measurement between the holes drilled around the edges is 11.25". Does this sound right for a 10.5" clutch?

Flywheel out of what, a WWII Bell Airacobra?

Small block or big block?

Any chance it's a TRUCK flywheel

If this is a SB passenger car flywheel, it can only be a 10 1/2" flywheel. If you have a passenger car bell and the flywheel fits and the starter properly engages, it cannot be a truck flywheel

If it's out of a truck that's a different matter

If this is a BB passenger car, it could be 11" with 11" cover, or the 70/ later 11", that is, 10.9" which uses a 10.5" bolt pattern

If it's a BB truck, who in heck knows?

small block flywheels in light duty trucks were the same as small block car flywheels. If it has (from my recollection) 130 teeth on the ring gear it is a small block 10.5" clutch flywheel. The last one I bought came out of an early Dakota V6 - same as, even down to the part number on it, a 69 340 flywheel. The 360 ones however had some balance holes drilled in them, but you can take a non drilled one and drill the holes to work behind an externally balanced 360.

When I got the setup it was behind a '69 steel crank 440 in a duster. He gave me a small block bellhousing to go with trans. The flywheel does have 130 teeth. I guess it does help when you don't have to guess what I am talking about. It was all in my head but just didn't make it here. Lol. I haven't seen any numbers on the flywheel but the clutch that came with it had a 10.5" disc. Oh ya, it is going on a steel crank 340.

130 tooth flywheel behind a 440 doesn't make sense to me - the big blocks used 143 (I think) tooth flywheels, I don't think he would have had starter engagement using a stock big block bellhousing. It does sound though like you have the stuff you need to put together your small block set up.

It just about has to be a 10.5 bolt pattern. One thing you could do is run down to the parts store, or if you are in a big enough town, find a clutch rebuilder. Just look up ANY 10.5" Borg and Beck or 10.5" GM Diaphragm pressure plate and see if it fits the flywheel.

Just count the teeth on the ring gear to know which flywheel you have.
The 10.5" - 10.95" flywheel has 130 teeth
The true 11" flywheel has 143 teeth
The 9.5" flywheel has 122 teeth.

Just count the teeth on the ring gear to know which flywheel you have.
The 10.5" - 10.95" flywheel has 130 teeth
The true 11" flywheel has 143 teeth
The 9.5" flywheel has 122 teeth.

Now were talkin.

10.5 fly did come behind a bb in the 67 thru 69 a body 4 speed cars

How do I measure my flywheel to make sure exactly what I have. It does have a 10.5" clutch that was run on it. The measurement between the holes drilled around the edges is 11.25". Does this sound right for a 10.5" clutch?
I do have an extra 10.5" flywheel for a SB 273-318-340 motor in garage if you want I could measure it if you would like....
Let me know,
It's for sale also.
It's for Internal ballanced motor, it will not fit a 360 though.

130 tooth, car, caution there are four different balances.
273, 318, steel crank 340, newer 318 magnum.
340 cast crank
360 LA
360 Magnum
The same applys to 143 tooth truck flywheels

130 tooth flywheel behind a 440 doesn't make sense to me - the big blocks used 143 (I think) tooth flywheels, I don't think he would have had starter engagement using a stock big block bellhousing. It does sound though like you have the stuff you need to put together your small block set up.
yep

-
Back