How do you spend 40K and not be done

-
easy 2 words in my case T/A CHALLENGER
247359_221395074545450_1610121_n.jpg

"nos" parts. or hemi parts. a crate (iron block) hemi is 15k lol.
if you want the aluminum variety add 5k.

if you cant do the body work yourself, expect to spend a few thousand in labor. quarters, fenders, hood, etc you will spend a few thousand. paint itself is probably $500 still sitting in the can.

a decent engine you will spend 5k probably.

suspension. fuel system. interior. seats lol.

stuff adds up. it's not cheap. it's almost better to not look at the receipts.

you will probably never get the money out that you put into the car unless it's an Ebody 'Cuda or a 68 Charger or GTX or Roadrunner and sold at one of the big dollar auctions.

these guys have a solid point that letting other people do the work , or spending big $ on NOS parts or custom stuff is a quick way to spend 40K... REAL QUICK

but, this car sure doesnt meet that criteria, just like the current bid reflects... nice enough car, but I doubt he has 1/2 that into it.

JOE

I would say that car might bring 12K on a good day.

He may have that kind of $$$ into it?, but it's just the wrong car unless it's the love of your life and you never want to get rid of it.

Come on man....vacuum the freakin carpet, polish the air cleaner lid, and take off those cheap ERSON $30 valve covers if you're saying the car is worth as much as you claim. Some stock 318 v/c's would do it better justice!

And, if I'm seeing correctly it looks to still have the /6 radiator and center link as well.

I dont understand why people spend so much time and effort on gettin the underside to have a nice of paint job as the top. For God sakes its the bottom of the car noone sees it and its unprotected why not use undercoating like the factory?

If I had paid to have the body Fab done on my car I would be way over $40g and I'm a year away from being done. My rear bumper has literally 500-600 hours into it. Figure a cheap shop rate of $28/hr and I'm at $14,000 on the low side. And I didn't guess at the hours, I worked on that damn thing for 4 months 4-6 hours a day almost everyday. It ads up real quick. My doors which hold a secret have 30-40 hours of Fab time in them.

I dont understand why people spend so much time and effort on gettin the underside to have a nice of paint job as the top. For God sakes its the bottom of the car noone sees it and its unprotected why not use undercoating like the factory?

I haven't even scraped my undercoating off. To me its a waste too. We build them to drive them right?

Saw that car on Craigslist...no way that's $40K, he is puffing up more than the price tag. Guy lives in the Tri-Cities, even if he farmed it out, it is alot less expensive out in the "Inland Empire" than in the west side of the state.

I call BS, or as some see it, "Slinging that iron."

I haven't even scraped my undercoating off. To me its a waste too. We build them to drive them right?

If aanything scrape the old crap of clean it up real nice and shoot it with some more. I dont like detailing the top of the car sometimes and could never see myself detailin the underside even if I had a lift

I spent 12 grand on my engine and thought nothing of it, right off from the day I bought my 64 Signet twenty five years ago. It took a friend and I ten days and nights to remove and replace the front end suspension, Radiator, engine, trans, rear, gas tank, dash, seats electical system and I spent a good 20 G's on it that month and it's still not finished. Here it is 25 years later been through 4 motors and I'm just thinking about finishing the door panels to match the interior and building another ground shaker.

Good paint and body work and farming everything out.
i was gonna say,building it from behind your keyboard.and you never pick up a wrench...or getting robbed on labor,because like some of you on this car its hard to find that much in it unless someone got paid really good to build it.and i mean really good.damn need some customers like that....:bs:

nice rims not i like the car but alot of stuff needs to be changed
$40 no way

if you pay to have everything done and purchase everything new you can spend a lot and have little to show for it

"nos" parts. or hemi parts. a crate (iron block) hemi is 15k lol.
if you want the aluminum variety add 5k.

if you cant do the body work yourself, expect to spend a few thousand in labor. quarters, fenders, hood, etc you will spend a few thousand. paint itself is probably $500 still sitting in the can.

a decent engine you will spend 5k probably.

suspension. fuel system. interior. seats lol.

stuff adds up. it's not cheap. it's almost better to not look at the receipts.

you will probably never get the money out that you put into the car unless it's an Ebody 'Cuda or a 68 Charger or GTX or Roadrunner and sold at one of the big dollar auctions.

Ah yes, The First Commandment of A Body Restoration.

I guess maybe some of us forget or don't like to think about what we have in our cars. I am sure that we would be surprised.

In the past couple of years I probably added 8k to mine and I did all the work myself and in the past 25 years, I have had my car, I am pretty sure that everything I have done would scare me so I don't think about it. I am on my third engine, rebuilt the tranny 3 times, changed the rear to 8.75 have had three different sets of gears, added Aerospace disc at all four corners and on and on. It is never ending and nobody would believe what dollars we put in our cars. By the way I am still not done.

:mrgreen:

With 40k my duster would be done and I'd have finished another lol I'm sorry but I'm frugal about how I spend cash on my cars I only have maybe 2200 in mine and that's including the 800 I paid for it. I'll probably only put another 3 to 4k in it before its all said and done

its called bovine excrement, I quote

"It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction. A person who lies is thereby responding to the truth, and he is to that extent respectful of it. When an honest man speaks, he says only what he believes to be true; and for the liar, it is correspondingly indispensable that he considers his statements to be false. For the bullshitter, however, all these bets are off: he is neither on the side of the true nor on the side of the false. His eye is not on the facts at all, as the eyes of the honest man and of the liar are, except insofar as they may be pertinent to his interest in getting away with what he says. He does not care whether the things he says describe reality correctly. He just picks them out, or makes them up, to suit his purpose "

-
Back