How far is your motor set back?

-

Mister Twister

Reaction score
towermisc%20012.JPG
The reason for me making solid mounts and not buying them was to design a kit that consists of two motor mounts and one transmission mount. These will let you set the motor back in 1” 2” and 3” increments . Like my 72 TwIsTeR can be set back 1” with no damage to the car. Now lets say your not worried about that maybe you have an aluminum fire wall with plenty of room then you might want to go back 2” or 3”.
Yes I made these for my slant car now. When we put Dodge Girls TwIsTeR together we are doing these for her. It has a V8. Just asking the racers, does this help launch? Handling? What gains do yall get from a mod like this? Thanks for any input received Don .
towermisc%20011.JPG

I've never moved a motor back, but it's supposed to be about weight distribution.
If you move a large weight a small amount, it's a big help in traction. I want to experiment, but I want to know what other things it affects. (I.E. clearances, hoses, d-shaft, etc.)
Moving the front and rear axles forward has the same affect. Even moving the rear axle forward on the leaf springs a bit (considering tire clearance) can help.

Moving the engine back 1" moves 100 pounds from the front axle to the rear. I set the engine back in the Duster 3/4" just by simply moving the mount brackets to the other side of the ears on the block. I had to shorten the driveshaft and make minor mods to my headers but it improved weight distribution to 49/51.

The Scamp is a chassis car and the carb is very close to the cowl plus we moved the rear 2.5" forward and the front axle 1" forward making a 111" wheel base car now 109.5"

Thanks for your input. This has helped alot.=P~This has me looking into other areas of the car. See yall later Don.

-
Back