How far should i go with swapping stuff out in the front end?

-

DumpsterFire

Reaction score
I have a 64 dart and at the very least I need to go to the big bolt pattern to match my rear end. I'm really wanting to run a 14 in or 13 in wheel so I don't think disks will fit and really don't care about trying to get disk brakes. Just trying to find the most practical way to get the front end rebuilt. If it is simpler to keep the front end stock I can just hunt down different wheels.

I'm assuming I can just get big bolt pattern stuff that fits my spindle. Am I wrong?

I would convert to stock 73-76 bbp disc setup which can be run with 14” bbp steelies. You will need upper arms, spindles, and the brake parts. At the same time I would do strut rod, lca, and uca bushings as well as ball joints.

Discs will do wonders for your car. There is simply no comparison.

First off, do you currently have 9" or 10" brakes? All of the big bolt pattern drum setups that I'm aware of were 10 or 11", and will NOT fit the 9" spindle (and big bolt 10 and 11" drums do not fit an A body 10" spindle, either. All the drum setups used their own style spindle).
In theory you MAY be able to adapt a B body 10 inch drum brake and spindle by swapping in '73 and later A body upper control arms that have the large ball joint (or by using ball joint adapter sleeves on your stock control arms), but I have never personally done this swap.
Secondly, I think you're going to have an issue finding stock-style 13" big bolt pattern wheels. Factory 13s were small bolt pattern, and I don't think they'd fit 10" brakes- and definitely not 11s.

Last edited:
I would convert to stock 73-76 bbp disc setup which can be run with 14” bbp steelies. You will need upper arms, spindles, and the brake parts. At the same time I would do strut rod, lca, and uca bushings as well as ball joints.

Discs will do wonders for your car. There is simply no comparison.
Wasn't even gonna do power brakes on my garbage but it might be smart to make it be able to stop

First off, do you currently have 9" or 10" brakes? All of the big bolt pattern drum setups that I'm aware of were 10 or 11", and will NOT fit the 9" spindle (and big bolt 10 and 11" drums do not fit an A body 10" spindle, either. All the drum setups used their own style spindle).
In theory you MAY be able to adapt a B body 10 inch drum brake and spindle by swapping in '73 and later A body upper control arms that have the large ball joint (or by using ball joint adapter sleeves on your stock control arms), but I have never personally done this swap.
Secondly, I think you're going to have an issue finding stock-style 13" big bolt pattern wheels. Factory 13s were small bolt pattern, and I don't think they'd fit 10" brakes- and definitely not 11s.
Yeah I'm going to 14s most likely. I was trying to keep things very stock looking and finding some weird 13in wheel that would work with the back was tempting

"Force" is generated in the master cylinder- a power booster is merely an assist on disc and drum systems, not a requirement. Just like power steering- an assist, not a requirement.

Question: are you going to run with a stock /6, 273, 318 or are you going to make more power. If keeping it stock you can do the drilling of spindles.
I always upgrade to 73-76 disc set up with manual brakes for stock /6 or more HP, next thing is use 15in wheels due to more selection of wheels or tires and your set. You can always find factory parts if needed another day. remember keep it simple and have fun with the project.

I've never driven a disk brake car with out power. I thought they required more force than drums
discs with a 15/16” master cylinder require no more force (possibly less force) than 10” drums. A booster would be incredibly unnecessary.

Question: are you going to run with a stock /6, 273, 318 or are you going to make more power. If keeping it stock you can do the drilling of spindles.
I always upgrade to 73-76 disc set up with manual brakes for stock /6 or more HP, next thing is use 15in wheels due to more selection of wheels or tires and your set. You can always find factory parts if needed another day. remember keep it simple and have fun with the project.
Have a mild 5.9 magnum

Actually mother Mopar made two different 13" wheels with the big bolt pattern.....a 13 X 4.5" and a 13 X 5.5".......available on the early A100's, which also had 10" brakes. The only other option is wheel adaptors, which I hate.

I'm pretty sure they meant the hub
I believe you're correct, but, I just had to twist their tail! As for actually doing that, IMO, the stud becomes dangerously close to the edge of the hub. Not something I personally would do.

Actually mother Mopar made two different 13" wheels with the big bolt pattern.....a 13 X 4.5" and a 13 X 5.5".......available on the early A100's, which also had 10" brakes. The only other option is wheel adaptors, which I hate.
Learn something new every day! Although I would hate to have to actually find some- let alone any decent 13" tires to mount on them! They're out there, but if you think the 14" selection is bad, 13s are worse. Just went through this with a buddy's Corvair.

Yeah, very rare animals. I had the opportunity to buy a set once, but, at the time, who wanted 13's on anything? In hindsight, I probably should have bought them as a curiousity and maybe make a few bucks from someone looking hard for them. The only other set I ever saw was still on a running A100 panel van.

Learn something new every day! Although I would hate to have to actually find some- let alone any decent 13" tires to mount on them! They're out there, but if you think the 14" selection is bad, 13s are worse. Just went through this with a buddy's Corvair.
Yeah probably sticking with 14s mostly for this reason. I really like to keep it ugly and stock looking. Got some 14in steel wheels with later dart hubcaps

Just upgrade to comments I stated before, you won't regret it.
You said rear will be bbp to match front, what size rear end, drum and shoes are you using?
It's a ford 8.8. I might need to get drums from a ranger to make it fit but I'll make it fit. Haven't checked to see if my 14 in wheels I have now clear

8.8 will work, A body rear brakes were 10x2, you could use other sizes, but you will need to add a rear adjusting valve to keep rear brakes from locking up, you can go to Dr diff and look at his info and call him to double check what you need, if you need to save cash just keep looking for deals local to you to save on shipping.

-
Back