how long to wait after paint before vinyl top

-

iw378

Reaction score
Quick question, My car was painted about 3 weeks ago. I called my glass guy today to set up an appointment for him to install the front and rear glass after I get my vinyl top installed.
He said that with the new paint I should wait a few months (6) to let the paint / clear cure otherwise the adhesive might cause the paint to lift. It got me thinking about the vinyl top
I am scheduled to have the top installed next week. Is that too soon ??
Thanks

Quick question, My car was painted about 3 weeks ago. I called my glass guy today to set up an appointment for him to install the front and rear glass after I get my vinyl top installed.
He said that with the new paint I should wait a few months (6) to let the paint / clear cure otherwise the adhesive might cause the paint to lift. It got me thinking about the vinyl top
I am scheduled to have the top installed next week. Is that too soon ??
Thanks

Wow, the factory could never wait this long when you consider the way Ma Mopar cranked them out.
Was the paint baked/cured in the oven?

Yeah, I was going to say the factory didn't wait, and your modern paint is probably chemically cured. Ask the shop who painted it.

If you can't smell fresh paint when you walk up close to it then it is probably done out gassing solvent or in other words cured. The modern urethanes use activators to cbemicaly cure them whithin a determined time span and are not affected by the solvents in the contact cement the same as the old lacquer and enamels of decades ago used to be.
I feel waiting 6 months can't hurt but is completely crazy talk these days. How old was the person that told you this? Its been so long since I have seen that happen I almost forgot that it used to be a common problem. True back in the day but everything has changed so much since then. You need not worry yourself over this.
Put your top on.
By the way I have been putting vinyl tops on and other glass and trim work since 1979 so I do remember the days when this was a very valid point. Makes me feel old. Hope this helps.
If you did happen to have your car painted with the older style paints (unlikely but possible?) definitely give it time to not smell like fresh paint.

well you can spray a car, let it sit 24 hrs and color sand it. So in 24 hrs (in most cases) the paint has cured. After three weeks i would have it done and be happy, your getting close! In the end its up to the top installer as stated.

-
Back