How Many 64 Barracudas

-

tuttibuon

Reaction score
Anyone know how many '64 barracudas with a V-273 and push button tranny are still on the road or how to find out?

In the state of Hawaii? Or California? Or the entire country?

Yikes.

Probably more accurate to start with how many rolled out of the factory and then just assume a 80% to 90% attrition rate over the past 6 decades.

Have you tried this?
CRYSTAL BALL.jpg

In the state of Hawaii? Or California? Or the entire country?

Yikes.

Probably more accurate to start with how many rolled out of the factory and then just assume a 80% to 90% attrition rate over the past 6 decades.
I meant in the country. I understand 23,443 were sold. What's that attrition rate based on? Thanks.

There is no way to answer this type of question. The information is not available. Every state has a separate registration database, and they are not generally publicly searchable. So where would you get the data?

The "attrition rate" is not some kind of absolute, general value — it is derived by comparing the number produced with the number surviving. Without the data point of "number surviving", it cannot be calculated. It might be different for different models of car, in different eras, or different areas.

Listen- the best way to gauge this question, “besides with a crystal ball Rusty.” Is to email Hagerty insurance and if any one had a “kinda close” clue…. It would be them. Maybe not all on the road but I bet you would get 70% close.
Syleng1

Listen- the best way to gauge this question, “besides with a crystal ball Rusty.” Is to email Hagerty insurance and if any one had a “kinda close” clue…. It would be them. Maybe not all on the road but I bet you would get 70% close.
Syleng1
I'm not so sure that's an accurate gauge. You're assuming most would have their cars insured with Hagerty. I know of TWO 64 Barracudas less then two miles away rottin in the woods. They're insured by mother nature. I'm sure there are lots more and even some that have been recycled. I guess that's his only way to find a "guess" on the number. And a really loose guess at that.

Thanks to all who provided input, including those adding a bit of humor. Here's another try.

I would appreciate if those members of this forum who own a 64 barrcuda with a 273 V-8 and push button tranny that is still being driven let me know.

Thanks.

I would be shocked if more than 5% of all 64 Barracudas produced were still on the road today.
Remember that the Ford Mustang also came out in 64. I am sure they sold 10 times more Mustangs than Barracudas that year. Plus the GTO came out in 1964. The first generation Barracuda did not enjoy the instant popularity that the GTO and Mustang did. Don't get me wrong, I like the 64-66 Barracudas, but facts are facts. Over the past 30-40 years, the 64-66 Barracudas have not enjoyed the popularity and parts support the 64-66 Mustangs did. Or, for that matter, the same years of GTOs, 442s, Corvettes, etc. I'd be willing to bet that quite a few rough 64-66 Barracudas that would be reclaimed for a restoration had they been a 64-66 Mustang or GTO became a parts car over the past 40 years.

I'm not so sure that's an accurate gauge. You're assuming most would have their cars insured with Hagerty. I know of TWO 64 Barracudas less then two miles away rottin in the woods. They're insured by mother nature. I'm sure there are lots more and even some that have been recycled. I guess that's his only way to find a "guess" on the number. And a really loose guess at that.
It’s not perfect but it is a gauge I bet to get closer than “2 rotting in a field”.
lol! The OP really has no idea how open the question they asked really is. BUT Since he was askin how many oars on the road. Most states require insurance and Haggerty is about the cheapest ins for old cars there is. again it’s a “number.”
Is is perfect? “Nope.” But he would be closer to their goal.

It’s not perfect but it is a gauge I bet to get closer than “2 rotting in a field”.
lol! The OP really has no idea how open the question they asked really is. BUT Since he was askin how many oars on the road. Most states require insurance and Haggerty is about the cheapest ins for old cars there is. again it’s a “number.”
Is is perfect? “Nope.” But he would be closer to their goal.
I think it's probably the closest he's gonna get....and it ain't real close. LOL Using me for an example, I unsure mine as a daily driver with a regular company. I probably would even if it was a 64 Barracuda rather than a 64 Valiant, because we keep old Vixen in the wind.

One indication is look at your local car cruise/car shows. Compare which vehicles are multiples and be happy you may be the only one with a cool Barracuda

IMG_8661.jpeg
IMG_8662.jpeg

You can add ‘one’ to your count! This one exists, on the road and insured in Canada today.

-
Back