How many CURRENT owners of real '74 360 Duster 4 speed cars on here?

-
Of the three videos, I've only seen the one of the blue car. Mopar never put a dual snorkel aircleaner on a Duster, so that one isn't right. Not sure what is on the green car, but from the title shot of the last video, looks like that is a '72 340 aircleaner with the flapper door (same one I run on my car).

Might take a look here - Nick's Garage

For what it's worth, I don't think Daniel is busting your chops, just clarifying. You have a very nice car and neither the aircleaner nor deeper gears detracts from that. 99% of the people that look at your car wont know the difference in the aircleaners. Heck, if Daniel hadn't clarified what the difference was, I wouldn't have known.

Great car!

Dion is spot on. As I already stated, your car is gorgeous. Nobody, even most Mopar/A-body owners will ever know the air cleaner is wrong. As you can see, some of the owners/enthusiats of these specific model of cars do not even know...hahaha.
I was just attempting to educate whoever is willing to learn.

For what it is worth, I have 2 extra 1974 A-body 360 HP air cleaners. I searched forever to find one, then the others sort of fell right into my lap shortly afterwards (go figure).
I am just going to keep the best one (of course) and sell the others.

For what it is worth, I have 2 extra 1974 A-body 360 HP air cleaners. I searched forever to find one, then the others sort of fell right into my lap shortly afterwards (go figure).

I've never bothered to look for the right one for my car. Didn't really know what it needed for an aircleaner, only that it wouldn't have had the flapper door like the one I run. The car is not really stock anyway, and while I like that it looks kind of stock to most people, I don't really care too much how accurate it is.

The reality is, I've been lusting for a '15 Scat Pack Challenger for some time now, but can't afford it. So I've decided that "If you can't join 'em, beat 'em". :burnout:

So, while I don't intend to hurt the drive-ability of the car (actually want to greatly increase it), it will probably deviate pretty far from stock anyway. Thinking custom EFI intake and MegaSquirt so I can get rid of the carb and run a bigger cam. Plus a 5 or 6 speed (the only real hack to the car that I am think of). I already have the upgraded suspension in the works with 17" wheels and 13" brakes. None of which makes it worth it to me to go looking for the correct aircleaner.

With the Passon Performance A-855 5-speed you can retain the factory appearence while enjoying an O/D manual transmission.
But with all those upgrades, and a built engine...it may be cheaper to sell the Duster and buy a Scat Pack?!?

I have been looking into the EZ efi 2.0 myself.
For the record, I am no stickler to restored stock condition. My Duster has a 5.9L Magnum dressed in appropriate 1974 360 LA fashion. I also have a 1973 rear bumper, not that anyone would ever notice...but they look (because they fit) so much nicer.

Thanks for the compliments. Any info is appreciated as I bought it restored, I did not restore it. Out of the 586 four speed Duster 360 cars, how many would you say were TX9 black cars?

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 382
Out of the 586 four speed Duster 360 cars, how many would you say were TX9 black cars?

I've never seen any info on a color breakdown, so I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe someone else can help, or you could try and get a hold of Galen Govier (he's the one that published the production number you listed).

Sorry I can't help.

I have never heard that about only painting the nicer bodies black. If black is a more rare color I think it is far more likely that people just ordered less black cars.

With the Passon Performance A-855 5-speed you can retain the factory appearence while enjoying an O/D manual transmission.
But with all those upgrades, and a built engine...it may be cheaper to sell the Duster and buy a Scat Pack?!?

I have been looking into the EZ efi 2.0 myself.
For the record, I am no stickler to restored stock condition. My Duster has a 5.9L Magnum dressed in appropriate 1974 360 LA fashion. I also have a 1973 rear bumper, not that anyone would ever notice...but they look (because they fit) so much nicer.

Not sure I could get enough out of my car to make the down payment. O:)

It pretty rough, in primer on most of the car and bare metal on the hood and decklid where it has worn off. This picture is from a couple of weeks ago at the local Mopar show. First time on the road in a couple of years.

IMAG0071_mod_zpse6m4nvha.jpg

But buying a Scat Pack means I can drive it as soon as it shows up (pretty sure I'd have to order one), rather than after years of building something. Sure I can drive the Duster while I work on it, but a Challenger would mean I am instantly at the performance I desire. But if it ends up costing the same to get a similar performance in the Duster, then the tagline will read "If you can't beat 'em, too bad". :banghead:

I don't for a second dream I will ever get my Duster up to the same level of luxury, but if I can reasonably close the gap in performance for a price I can afford, then I will try.

The A855 is definitely the hot ticket, just not sure I will ever have the cash to buy one outright. But it solves the huge issue I have with cutting the floor out of this car. Right now I could almost put the R154 I already own in the car for very little cash, if I could stomach hacking the car up some.

I still have the numbers matching motor in my car, but I upgraded to Hughes roller lifters and a 2000 5.9 roller cam along with some MP R/T heads, so I am really only a few steps from being able to run the OEM Magnum SMPI on the car. Kind of planning to get the EFI on it, then swap to MegaSquirt and DIS, followed by a bigger cam and a modified Beer Barrel intake. But not the traditional "shorten the runner's an inch" modified intake. I am thinking I will cut the center of the runners out (at the top of the intake, where the runners turn to go back down towards the heads), remove the unused runners length, welding a new floor below the runners and build a front mount TB inlet. If that doesn't work, I will look for the 4BBL TB intake Mopar used to sell or maybe mount a screw type blower on an Indy Mod-Man intake (there is a guy marketing a kit for this). But a modified BB intake is (should be??) cheap, and if it doesn't work I shouldn't be out much. I suspect that in the end, my underdefined goals will require me to pull the motor for a freshening and better pistons with more compression, and maybe another cylinder head upgrade. But I have no intention of building an R block race motor to compete, only to "evolve" what I have in the hopes I can catch up a little.

Ha, fair enough. It's a tough call.
I can't justify the cost of the A-855 either.
Evey now and then I get a fantasy of selling off my extra parts and a car or two and ordering fuel injection and a 5-speed for both the Bee and the Duster 360...then I find another project car...lol.

Daniel, your right about the air cleaners on 360's, and yes most people don't know. There are other things that set the 360 car apart also.

Hey Deion, see if you can get a color break down.

I wouldn't even know where to go to try and get one, and I'm pretty sure that Galen is too busy to help and would want money for any info.

Anything that is painted black in the Mopar world is much more rare than other colors. They just did not pain many cars black. I think one of the most common colors of the cars in the 60s-70s was green.

I had a 70 Coronet R/T that was a one of one. It was a black car, black top, white bucket seats, console, auto, air and stripe delete. The only other black 70 Coronet R/T made was an all black car. Both are one of one. Galen Govier and I talked about this in great length.

I don't know why, but Mopar just did not build a lot of black cars. It has nothing to do with perfect bodies. If that was the case, there would be no black cars.

TX9 will always be a rarer color in the Mopar world. Depending on what car could make it even more rarer.

I had a 70 Challenger R/T that was one of 335 produced. The more I broke the car down and its options, the closer I got to it being a one of one. It was also a B5 blue car inside and out with a blank top.

The TX9 Dark above was mine, I would leave it the way it is and enjoy it. That is a stunning looking car.

Thanks CoronetRTguy, it does get a lot of attention, sometimes too much. I'll post a couple more photos, then go back to reading posts.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2773.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 301
Thanks CoronetRTguy, it does get a lot of attention, sometimes too much. I'll post a couple more photos, then go back to reading posts.

You are very welcome. I love your car and wish I had one just like it parked in my garage. The white bucket seats, black paint and white stripes just set that car off and makes it look amazing. I'm sure a lot of people gravitate towards it. I know I would . . . I am now lol.

Thanks for the compliments. Any info is appreciated as I bought it restored, I did not restore it. Out of the 586 four speed Duster 360 cars, how many would you say were TX9 black cars?

Welcome to the site and nice Duater! Tell us more about the car and how long have you had it for? Where you looking for any Duster and just came across this one?

Yea, great looking Duster. I love the white interior too. I have nver seen a 360 Duster at a car show. I was even looking at the Nats a few years ago and none found.

-
Back