How many times has their relative had a Hemi?

-

grimreaper

Cross Member
Reaction score
I was putting some stuff in my garage today and a guy walking down the street hollers over and asks,"Is that a '65 Barracuda?" I said, "It's a '64." As the guy is walking up the drive he starts telling me that his uncle used to have a '65 Barracuda and wants to know what engine I have. When I tell him it's a 273 he tells me his uncle had a 426 Hemi in his and went on to tell me how it could pull the front wheels over a tall boy,stock, from the factory. I mentioned that the 65 Barracudas didn't come with Hemis he insisted that they did and his uncle had one, the one that came without the warranty and that he rode in it several times. What causes so many folks to be delusional? How come it's always a relative who had the rare, super fast car? Or, I guess I really shouldn't say rare because countless people have told me about the 64 or 65 Barracuda they knew of with the Hemi in it!!!! Do they just want to see what kind of story they can get away with or what is up with these folks??????

I was putting some stuff in my garage today and a guy walking down the street hollers over and asks,"Is that a '65 Barracuda?" I said, "It's a '64." As the guy is walking up the drive he starts telling me that his uncle used to have a '65 Barracuda and wants to know what engine I have. When I tell him it's a 273 he tells me his uncle had a 426 Hemi in his and went on to tell me how it could pull the front wheels over a tall boy,stock, from the factory. I mentioned that the 65 Barracudas didn't come with Hemis he insisted that they did and his uncle had one, the one that came without the warranty and that he rode in it several times. What causes so many folks to be delusional? How come it's always a relative who had the rare, super fast car? Or, I guess I really shouldn't say rare because countless people have told me about the 64 or 65 Barracuda they knew of with the Hemi in it!!!! Do they just want to see what kind of story they can get away with or what is up with these folks??????

Maybe his uncle was full of **** and the guy believed him.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I've had someone tell me about the early Barracuda that their relative had with a Hemi in it!!

Maybe his uncle was full of **** and the guy believed him.

Exactly. The majority of people in the world are not "car" people. Of the minority of "car" people there is an even small number of people who know anything about mopar,and an even smaller number of those people know the "ins and outs" of mopar.

I cant even tell you how many people tell me about mopars they had with impossible options from the factory. I just smile and nod and go on with my life. If its a close friend/family member I will take the time to school them,but anyone else I could care less that they think they had a Factory 76 Charger 6 pack Hemi with a 5 speed clutchless transmission and 2 speed rear end so they could run 250 mph in the high desert of california and get 40 mpg.:violent1:

My uncle had bought a used 69 Hemi charger in the 70's. Two weeks after he got it, he decided that wrapping it around a telephone pole (wasn't a normal one, this one had a 6' base. He said it was telephone pole though) would be a good idea. My uncle showed me a picture before and after, cops said "had he hit pole 6"closer to the rear he'd be dead. Crash was so bad the motor was ripped out of the car. Right after I heard that story I looked at my cousin and said "you lucky S.O.B.!"

May the poor Charger rest in peace.:angel7:

My son in law is like that.
You could tell him that you have your own space shuttle and he would know someone with a better one.

ANNOYING

I like when they say. "It was either a Hemi or six pack. Or was it a Hemi with a six pack?"

Yaaa Sureeeee it was. And your one can sort of a six pack.

My ex girlfriends dork big brother had an El Camino with a monojet that would "do 130 on the freeway". Yeah?....and your sister is a virgin.....now who's lying?;-)

My 65 Barracuda brings them out of the woodwork. Can't drive it to breakfast on a saturday morning without the "Hemi" story, or at least the "Got a hemi?" stupid question.

I have grown tired of trying to educate them, and it has become a game. When the "uncle had one with a Hemi", I produce a suitable awestruck look, and ask if it was the rare "Factory Turbo Hemi"? I tell them it was easy to spot, because they used up half of the passenger side footwell with a bump for the turbo.

I know that version will eventually make it's way back to me - or perhaps a member here. If you hear the "turbo Hemi" story, just remember to tell them how rare that car is - out of the thousands of 426 Hemi's in 65 Barracudas, there were only a few hundred made - honest.

one of my old customers would tell the same story over and over how is 4 cyl s10 would blow the doors off of everything insight with jet fuel in it and other people would believe him. a fellow coworker also said he had a 78 aspen wagon with a police special 340 hemi in it and said he had pictures to prove it,but never showed us the engine.his ex told us it was a 318 nothing special just a lot of hot air,had a nice paint job on it from the pic he showed us.

Oh boy...I have heard this one before.

I was told the other day that if my '65 Newport coupe was matching numbers- that it was worth $100k. Really?? They should have went to the bank because I'd have let it go for less...lololol.

Hemi stories..I have heard to many to recall. There seems to be piles of stupid people that think EVERY OLD MOPAR HAS A HEMI IN IT!! Some people are stupid and it makes my head hurt.

I have heard that a 340 Dart Swinger with dual scoops had dual carbs??...omg. Regardless, people that keep asking if you have a Hemi should be slapped. Not only that but people that aren't even car people will slam your Mopar saying that it's nothing without a Hemi. Wow...I wonder if any of them have a clue how much a Hemi really cost???

The funny thing is that I have owned 2 hemi's (dodge calls them that) in two different trucks. And to me it's just an engine. Even seeing a 426 in something dies not really impress me. Most guys arround here put them in a slant 6 car and think they are cool. (and to some extent they are I would love to own one) but it's just a motor. I get excited when guys build up something different. Like the early 70's Suzuki jeep looking thing my buddy is working on. It has a snowmobile motor in it. It's a pull start (like a lawn mower) it's just cool. Why because no one has one. It's unique. I find that so much better to look at than another base model cuda with a Hemi swap. After seeing 30-40 of them they all look the same.

Does owning hemi car when i was too young & dumb to know better count ?
I bought a 68 HEMI road runner in 1978 that was a race car called white elephant since day 1 & had less than 5K miles from a guy in iowa park tx who was selling it for his brother in law up north somewhere !
It was winter & i just turned 17 & needed it like a hole in the head but after jumping car off with a diesel truck & running it down the the road i was hooked & borrowed $2500 (that was a lot of money then) from my dad & bought it !
It was a white w/ tan bench seat interior & column shift & ran like a scaled bobcat !
It sat most of that winter while i was earning money to pay my dad back for loan & got it out tagged titled & licenced for spring & summer of 79 & was undefeated that summer even againt a certain black 70 hemi charger from a nearby town !
I bet there was over 100 people there at 2am on a saturday night / sunday morning to watch us race on a 1/4 mile we had marked on highway !
BUT all in all being a teenager making diddly squat between the gas & repairs (hemi were not ez to get parts & expensive even back then) I sold it in early 1980 for $3000 to guy coming through town that lived in dallas tx & have not seen it since !
That was my only ownership of any hemi car so far in my lifetime !
I replaced it with a mint $1500 loaded out red & black 71 charger r/t w/ 440 magnum w/w/ 50K thinking it was a more dependable & better gas mileage car which it was ( a little parts wise) until i totaled it out 3 months later !
I have always wondered what happened to both of them cars over the years !
My dad sold charger to a salvage yard & back then they could care less about a title so i guess he never gave it to them ?
I did find title on 71 charger r/t awhile back & misplaced it again since !
Anyway it was probably crushed but is there a way to track a car down with old title to see if its still on road ?
Dont have much info on the Hemi road runner .. But it was called white elephant on both doors ??
Sure wish i had been able to still own either or both NoW !
Thats my Hemi story !

How 'bout the guy that knows where there's a garage full of complete hemis for sale for cheap, or magnessium crossrams and holley race carbs, but never calls with contact info, like that was gonna happen. One local guy was telling me about his wheelie pulling a100 van with the 426 hemi in it.....yeah right.

Back around 1993 or so, I was cfuising through town in my 66 Belvedere 2dr post. While fueling up, the mechanic, in his 60's, walks out and promptly starts talking Mopar. Seemed like a nice guy...untill he tells me his 70 Roadrunner runs 9's with a stock 383!!! Telling me it was for sale got me intrigued cause, well, that has to be some special option that's so rare that Galien would be paying ME to look at it!
I got directions, and went to this creepy guys house later that afternoon. Covered by Pine needles sat what was left of a 70 383 4 speed Roadrunner. Rotted as rotted could be.
Laughingly, I asked how much ya looking to get.
He barked out $7500.00.
ummmm....yeah ok. Maybe $750.00?
nope... 7500.00
well thanls for showing me your sweet ride, sir. Too much for me right now.

And then... Christmas before last I was in Houston TX and there was a really sweet 64 Polara sitting in a shopping center parking lot. I was walking around it admiring it when a guy with Cargill bibs and a straw hat walks up and says, "Pretty nice Mopar, eh?" So I asked if it was his and he said it was not but that he had a white Plymouth Superbird up in North Dakota. I said, "Really????", not believing for a minute. He went on to tell me that he owned it since high school, how it was stored in his Dad's combine shed and how he does custom combining so he rarely is ever around it. He told me a bunch of details about the car and a few races he had with it, etc. Well, I left thinking about my encounter with another BSer and soon forgot about him and his story. The next Spring I went to Rapid City SD to a car show and at one corner of the aisles sat a really nice white Superbird. I was recalling the dufus in TX telling me about his when I noticed the owner of the show car was sitting next to it. I about fell over when I recognized that the guy with the Cargill bibs in Texas and the guy sitting next to the Superbird in the car show were the same dude!!!!

went to trades school with a guy that knew absolutely nothing about cars, and had very little interest in them he was the type that would believe anything you told him. One day we had a DOHC sebring in the shop and the teacher said to study up on the car and when he came back he was going to ask him mechanical questions about it. a bunch of us told him the DOHC writing on the intake meant Dual overhead crank. when the teacher came back he preceded to tell him it was a 2.7 gallon (not liter) engine with dual over head crank. then once he broke of a bolt well doing the engine tear down part of the course, he spent 4 days drilling out the bolt....with the drill set to reverse. He never passed the school year

Guys will argue all day long about the early Mopar they or someone had with the 426 Hemi in it. I've had several such arguments. NOOO ,they would say I new a guy with an Original 1963 factory Polara with a 426 Hemi. I would say no thats a wedge a 426 wedge.

How 'bout the guy that knows where there's a garage full of complete hemis for sale for cheap

I know where one is!

BigBlocks.jpg

But you can only really see 2 in this picture. The rest are in the back.

But anyways. A friend would always tell me about this 73 Dart that his dad had, with a factory 340 and factory 'racing stripes' which went from the front of the hood, up and over the roof and over the trunk lid. I asked if it was a 73 Dart Sport, he said 'Nope! 73 Dart!' so I said 'Well does it look like a Duster?' and he says 'No, it looked like your Dart'. 'Ok well a 73 Dart Swinger never came with a 340 or these stripes you're talking about.' But he insisted I was wrong.
Then he tells me that their Durango has a 318 Hemi.
Okkkkk.

Back around 1993 or so, I was cfuising through town in my 66 Belvedere 2dr post. While fueling up, the mechanic, in his 60's, walks out and promptly starts talking Mopar. Seemed like a nice guy...untill he tells me his 70 Roadrunner runs 9's with a stock 383!!! QUOTE]

I met a guy like that. He was driving a 318 Dart and was parked at the hardware store. Talked to him for a bit then told him about my 340 Dart. Then he told me about his friends bone stock 340 with just a gear change and slicks that ran 10's :eek:ccasion: Yaaaaaa suuurrrreeee thats all it takes. :angry7: LOL

Back around 1993 or so, I was cfuising through town in my 66 Belvedere 2dr post. While fueling up, the mechanic, in his 60's, walks out and promptly starts talking Mopar. Seemed like a nice guy...untill he tells me his 70 Roadrunner runs 9's with a stock 383!!! Telling me it was for sale got me intrigued cause, well, that has to be some special option that's so rare that Galien would be paying ME to look at it!

I could see it if he said 10's 383 cars were a pretty good setup, but its hauling alot of weight if its in a roadrunner

-
Back