How much do I tip the Balloon Pilot?

-
My statement comes from my wife's nail gal. She comes to our house to do her nails, we pay her the rate she wants, then my wife tips her as well. WTF? Its all cash. She used to work in a salon, but went out on her own. Wife still tips her like she was an employee on the salon. She owns her own nail business.....Mobile..
My comment to this is how does she keep her books, does the IRS assume she gets tips.
My brother had a cash business (no tips) and periodically throughout the year one or two of his receipt books would get "lost".

Alan

My comment to this is how does she keep her books, does the IRS assume she gets tips.
My brother had a cash business (no tips) and periodically throughout the year one or two of his receipt books would get "lost".

Alan
All is good. Sounds like fun @Leadfoot , enjoy..

I have always said, does the IRS consider them a tipped employee and automatically calculate what they think you made in tips weather you did or didn't, you pay taxes on it. The waitress at the local restaurant, yes, the tip jar at the local Subway, no.

Alan

i never tip at subways...i dont tip at any places where they simply hand my my food over a counter
they are food preppers, not servers, and i dont tip for prepping

My statement comes from my wife's nail gal. She comes to our house to do her nails, we pay her the rate she wants, then my wife tips her as well. WTF? Its all cash. She used to work in a salon, but went out on her own. Wife still tips her like she was an employee on the salon. She owns her own nail business.....Mobile..

i guess i dont see the difference
if tammie (you know her name is tammie) does a good job, and your wife want to tip her, why not?
who cares if works for herself or someone else?
or is your point that as an owner she could negotiate a payrate that didnt need tips?
i guess you could argue that when she was working for someone else, she still had the option of asking for a raise?

shoot, i dont know

no one ever tips me

Doubt the staff of the hindenburg were tipped. lol.
Stay on the ground were humans belong and save $500.

0CD42686-FDBC-4C38-BDDE-40BC3F8D0857.jpeg

Not a clue
25 cents per person per mile?
I like that. Comes to about five bucks.

Does he own the business? If so, nothing at all. If not,:lol: just some coffee/ beer money, and a thank you for not getting us killed!

That's why I was going to wait til it was over. If I get killed I can keep my money.

My friend, who is a balloon pilot and owner, says they usually average $20.00 each. He splits with his crew, but some owners do not.

Finally, a real number. So if I give a fiddy dollar bill for two people I'll be pretty good?

I think so. Better land first! See how many crew you see first though Leadfoot. I think most teams have around four guys, including pilot. Chase vehicle most times is at least two guys. Have a good time up there!

100%---Just like Waffle House:poke: Just kidding Karl. :rofl:Have a blast, and take plenty of pics. 10% would be my thought.

Here's a tip for you don't do it! That's craziness blown around up in the wind in the air balloon?! You can land in telephone wires or anything! For goodness sakes are you nuts?!

Okay wife said she's done it and loved it but also said she'd get in a shark cage! I laugh because I know she can't swim! LOL
:realcrazy:
Edit she also said 20 bucks...

And as such she has to cover overhead for her business, even if she comes to you. There's a case full of tools for nails at my house that cost $1000. Those tools have to be sterilzed between each use. The sterilization solution isn't cheap. Neither are pro grade gel coats and polishes. Something like OPI can go $30-50 a bottle, business cost. Guaranteed she's not walking into Walmart and buying the cheap ****.

The gelcoat UV light for curing cost $250 alone.

Chances are when she worked at a salon she was considered an independent contractor and had to rent her space. It's standard practice for everyone but the Vietnamese slave traders. It's also pretty standard for non corporate hair salons to rent space to the beautician.

It was probably cheaper for her to go mobile.

The fact is, every dime she makes is taxable income with deductions. A tip is sign you respect the service above and beyond the costs. It might be what pays for the person's lunch during rhw work day or allows them to treat themselves to something nice above and beyond the normal wages made after tax, in this case.

I tip my barber regularly. And have for every haircut.

If you join the mile high club, you've already tipped the pilot! But do take care of the ground crew.. They work hard for your entertainment, show them that you appreciate it..

And coming up on the main stage.....KRYSTAL!!!

O I guarantee we would tip him as well. I'm just saying my views, not my wife's! We are big time over tippers, comes from living off tips thru collage.
Let me guess, she was the student and you were delivering pizzas on campus?

:rofl:
sorry, couldn't resist...

Hey Karl, get a hundred dollar bill, before the flight, tear it in half. Give one part to the ground guy and one part to the pilot.
If the pilot wants to spend it, he has to get back to the ground guy in one piece.

Enjoy the flight.

-
Back