How much to rebuild a 904 trans?

-

Richie

Reaction score
I was wondering how much it would cost to rebuild a 904 now a days. I dont know that much about making 904s stronger or shift kits but I hear you can do a lot with the wimpier 904. I'm not going racing I'll either have a pretty much stock 340 or a pepped up 318 in this Dart I have so I just want something for a street machine.

IMO, a basic rebuild kit with something like a TransGo TF-2 shift kit will be more than up to the task of a 340/hopped up 318. Rebuilding one is fairly simple, but there are a couple needed tools to do the job, and a good book/someone that knows what they are doing are tough to beat for a first time.

I figured so. Everyone I know around here where I live says "You need a 727 ...get a 727." But they never read anything. :(

I'm building a roller 360 with Alum Mag heads, with a planned 998 trans behind it. (904 based, little beefier). 904 is still a very strong transmission, local bracket car turns 10s with one and it's not very wild at ALL

Some people just don't know better, I have a friend who races Pro Gas, so everything is about speed to him. He thinks I need to pitch my 904 and 8.25, so that I can make fast gear changes. He doesn't understand that I'm not going to race this car very much, and i'm SURE not going to swap gears just to go to the track.

I am pretty much trans-stupid. I work on anything else, but trannys are a pull and replace item for me. I understand the 904 can take an extra clutch/disc for more power, and I think you can cram 2 in there if the housing is machined to give you more depth..or something like that..I dunno:banghead: . But it's also not needed for a mild build, that's more for a race build.

One local car club member quoted me $550 to rebuild my 904 (if i bring it to him). That's for a build that'll stand up to anything I can throw at it with my 360, with a shift kit and good internals. He built the 904 in his 10 second race car, and it's been in there for two seasons, so I have faith he knows what he's doing.

I've been quoted $300 & $450 from my two transmission builders, if I bring them the trans. That's using Raybestos clucthes. Right now I'm using a stock 904 with a shift kit and 2800 stall converter and have no problems. BTW, a 904 trans will be faster in the quarter than a 727, due to less horsepower required to turn the 904 internals. Longevity might be an issue, but not in your engine examples. Go with the 904.

I rebuilt my 727 for under $100. it was like $50-55 for the overhaul kit, $20 for a shift kit and i had to replace the intermediate band, which was only $15, but i did it in my shop class with the help of my teacher.

All depends on what you need, and what you can afford really. It's no better or worse than most 727s, but if a person is running 10s with it, it wasnt a $300 rebuild either...lol.

-
Back